• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Canyon Of Death

Canyon Of Death

Canyon Of Death 1.0
Created by S.R.Cherusker

It's a long way to your enemy and it goes through a canyon.
In that canyon lives an old and mighty monster. There is a slightly more easy way through
a cave. But besides the guards there you have to deal with diseases when passing through.
All that way you may encounter the real enemy on its way to you.

My intention of that map. I wanted to have massacres in a canyon and therefore I designed
that map. But the map grows up and it turned out, that massacres happen everywhere. Also I
liked to have long ways to reach the enemy. The long way, so my concept, shall give you
more opportunites. Rushing may no more the only way to win. Instead updating before
attacking could be better. There are done a few changings in the object editor. Pretty
landscaping was also an important point.

So, there is at first a long and straight way to the enemy through a canyon. Also there is
a shorter way with teleportation-gates through a pit (cave). Later in the game both become
connected with teleport gateways, too.

A mighty creep in the middle of that way is blocking the small canyon. I used the
"Forgetten One", pimped him up a litte and surrounded him by some flying creatures. This
enemy needs some firepower to overcome, or patience or a strategy. But you need to hurry,
i.e. an AI of the other player is trying to rush. The "Forgotten One" drops a Soul Gem and
other loot. Who gets that first? The Soul Gem is maybe the key to win? In my games against
the AI we often met at the same time trying to kill the "Forgotten One". It's then a
question of being prepared to get the valuable loot in seconds.

The path through the pit is also difficult enough to take some time at first. But it's
probably easier then the canyon. The gates are occupied by mighty creeps and in the pit
lives a Doom Guard with some creatures. The pit itself is poisend and all passing troops
are getting very sick and weak for a while. However, the advantage is: Once you cleared
that way, you can reach your enemy faster. The pit and the middle of the canyon are
connected with a shortcut through the mountain. The Doom Guard can use it all the time.
Players can use it, when the Doom Guard is killed.

////Attention: If the shortcut is opened you have to click in the target area to go through.///

- Items

Both the Forgetten One and the Doom Guard are carrying special items, which, if you get
them, give you a big advantage. The Forgetten One has a Soul Gem. The Doom Guard has a
Necklace of Spell Immunity.

The Goblin Merchants are selling other stuff than usual. Usefull are surely the Goblin
Land Mines. You can buy 9 at once. The terrain gives you some opportunities to place them
effectivily.

Pretty close to the Goldmines in the middle of the map is placed each a Goblin Laboratory.
There you can purchase an Infernal Juggernaut. This can summon an Infernal - which is a
big challange for your enemy.

- Gold mines

They have more gold than usual. A lot of gold. My intention of that is, that one shall win
or lose by means of millitary strategies and not because of ressource wars.

- Others

There are public watchtowers high up in the mountains, in the east and the west. There you
can purchase a Reveal for longer time than usual and for a large spot. (The watchtowers
are still experimentell. They work but their existence is questionable. However, the short
mountain path to reach them is so nice.)

Screenshots:

233234-albums8079-picture96467.jpg

233234-albums8079-picture96469.jpg

233234-albums8079-picture96470.jpg

233234-albums8079-picture96471.jpg

Mapdesign:

233234-albums8079-picture96473.jpg

233234-albums8079-picture96474.jpg

Updates

Version 1.0

Version 1.1
  • drop items at creep spots new balanced
  • Minipicture added

Contents

Canyon Of Death Version 1.1 (Map)

Reviews
10:48, 6th Oct 2015 Shadow Fury: Approved with a rating of 3/5. The map offers another way of playing a melee game in an unique style where you have to run some risks and take important decisions that might affect the whole game. Similarly to an RPG...

M

10:48, 6th Oct 2015
Shadow Fury: Approved with a rating of 3/5. The map offers another way of playing a melee game in an unique style where you have to run some risks and take important decisions that might affect the whole game. Similarly to an RPG, you have to take your chances to get big loots from might creep camps and discover a few secrets. Play this with the AI or alone; both ensure a thrilling gameplay.

The scenery looks attractive and conveys the right feeling of a barren land. I'd say that some areas are far too restricted and could use of some expansion to facilitate the movement of large armies. Tile variation is also required in specific zones where the grass tile appears to be overwhelming.

Overall the map deserves an approval. It can still be improved though but that falls to the user's decision.

Level 21
TERRAIN

The terrain was generally well done. In most areas, the tiles were manipulated efficiently and the doodads were pretty good as well. The central part really gives a feeling of a canyon and the raisings/lowerings were used wisely. The only things that disappointed me are that there are large areas of grass tile only and that you never used the rock tile. It's a canyon so the rock tile was expectable. Overall the certain was decent and satisfies the basic terrain requirements

CREEP CAMPS AND ITEM DROPS

There is seriously a catastrophic pandemonium in here! The creep camps you put suit more an RPG map but not a melee map. The first creeps I stumbled across were the wyvern rideless (no problem with them, they are useless though) and... A Forgotten One! What the hell was a Forgotten One doing in a melee map? It's a 6000 HP monster with 12 HP regeneration and strong skills. This monster was used for a campaign because it was suitable for that map type, but for a melee map, I don't really think so. Next RPG-ish creeps were the ones at the right of the map. A Doom Guard with Zerglings?? I can understand the Doom Guard but not the massive number of zerglings. Their quantity must be reduced. Final thing about creep camps is that the Taverns are guarded. It's wrong to do so because if a player wants a tavern hero as a first hero, he'll not have free access to the Tavern as there'll be creeps defending it. Now I'd like to talk about the item drops. They were a total disaster as well. They are all specific item drops with an excessivenumber of Tomes of Power being dropped. Some items are even higher in level than the creep dropping it e.g Tome of Power level 8 dropped by a level 9 Enraged Wildkin. Overall in this category there's a very huge mess and it crucially needs to be fixed.

LAYOUT OF THE MAP

The map isn't really that symmetric but it is well-balanced. The terrain, however, feels pretty restricted, especially at the center of the map. Having a closer look, I found tiny ramps leading to a high place where there is a tower from which I can use "Reveal". That was really a cool feature! The way you hid the path to the towers was absolutely great. Despite this, you have to widen all restricted ramps (not the ones leading to the towers) to ensure that army fights will not be hampered by too small battlefields.

OVERALL RESULT

Eventually, the map really needs immediate improvements. Although the map has a decent terrain and layout, I'll have to give this map 2/5 and vote for rejection as the creep camps and item drops are totally unacceptable.

Last edited:
Level 6
Hi Shadow Fury!

Thank you for your attention and critic!

In generell your negative comments - espesially about CREEP CAMPS AND ITEM DROPS - are convincing me - if it would be a melee map! I think I should had not defined the map as a melee map. So that is a fault. OK. You point less or more out that it is not a melee map, i got it. So now it's not a melee map but a strategic/risk Map. Maybe I am just a bad melee map designer therefore. :)

(I appreciate the importance of following definitions, they make sence)

"There is seriously a catastrophic pandemonium" Haha.. yes. and no, coz since it's no melee map no more, it's just a pandemonium?

At first I let you know, that I (I think so :) ) knew in most cases what I did. I am not in filling the formal needs as usually known but to change it creativily. And I ckecked the map many times with the AI. As you said, it's well-balanced, just because I spend a hell of time for that. If it works there it will supposingly work with hman players too, although I am curios to know about those experiences from you while playing it.

Besides the tavern i.e. the placement of the Goblin Laboratory, which is selling an Infernal Juggernaut, directly near a goldmine is a bold thing, too. I know that and as a player it gives you new opportunites and new dangers: You have to watch it, invisible enemies may buy one there.

The kind of dropped items are because of the strong creeps around. I got the experience that to overcome the forgotten one you need to be strong. Especially the AI need them, because the creeps are quite strong and if the AI player is to weak he will "starve to death". And because before sweeping away the Forgotten One or getting through the pit you don't encounter the other party and can't probably getting stronger while killing their hereos. The strong creeps then are needed to win time, to prevent virtory with only rushing. But I will admit that the chosing of the itmes is not at all well done. Thats why I please you to play it to experience it.

"ensure that army fights will not be hampered by too small battlefields." I just can say, that I had no problems. My AI enemies had no problems, too. Using the possibilites of the terrain here is to make sure that the battles are happeing in the plain next to the middle goldmines. At least I do so. You can support that strategie with towers at the higher leveled plain, placing landmines at the entrances of the canyon and at the pass to the plain where the second goldmines are, to cover a retreat. The middle plains I made for the battles. I many times, with good timeing, have been able to place neatly an army with all it means like distance and melee firepower properly orderd there to give the incoming enemy a warmly welcome.

I am glad to hear that you like the path to the towers and the towers. Funny, that I am still not sure, wether the Reveal towers are needed. But It shows you one of the ways I like to design: Adding nice and new features because they are nice and seeing what they are good for, of course with some sence.

So at all thanks for your advices and I hope that map will be approved because now "as the creep camps and item drops are totally unacceptable" is meant for a melee map, its not a melee map no more.

Btw: "The first creeps I stumbled across were the wyvern rideless (no problem with them, they are useless though) and... A Forgotten One! "

I wonder how's that. Hence you made all the way to the canyon at nighttime, letting all the former creeps alive, don't gathering their items? (Coz the creeps on that way are sleeping) Did you level up before? If you leveld up to a certain firepower you can bet, that the AI enemy is at the Forgotten One too. If you did not, you may quite for sure fail to overcome the Forgotten One then. You got a bloody nose with a straight forward strategy, huh? That's what I wanted :))

Thanks, apcrabnightlive,

hope you enjoy playing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
Thanks so much, Shadow Fury :ahug:

@all: It might be interesting, that I designed it (all my maps) only with the commen AI of Blizzard controlling the enemies. I observe their actions and behavings on my map and change the map (and in case the data of the enemies) to get a meaningful balance according to my goals of the map-play. (i.e. just a few meters moving a goldmine can change everything) The advantage is that I have all the time the same circumstances to test all possibilites. The biggest hindrance or challange is that the AI is so stubborn fixed to rush. A clear disadvantage is that I only can imagine how an enemie played by a human would react or act in that map, hence i may miss some things, but i hope, not too much. It's an exciting process of developing a map.