• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Can't find wc3 folder for editor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
So blizzard has been crippling NewGen with their new patches and I decided to reverse version to an older one and edit from there. However neither the NewGen editor or the wc3 version reverser can find wc3 no matter where I tell it it is installed (image in attached file below, ignore broken pic.)
2uo2jrk.png

I also know that alot o wc3 has been moved to "my documents" but when I try telling it it is there, its not working either!

So right now blizzards new patches are keeping me from editing which sucks immensly. Ive tried the new map editor over new gen but that cant open the map.

Basically, does anyone know how I can fix this and find the right folder so New gen and the wc3 version swapper can actually intact with my wc3?

Attachments

• Namnlös.png
    Namnlös.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 187
Level 7
As far as i know, the best way to reverse from 1.28+ is to reinstall

And Newgen has a file to find War3, but you can put your custom path if you want, i'm not on the PC, but the file name should be obvious and you just have to uncomment a line

Level 3
As far as i know, the best way to reverse from 1.28+ is to reinstall

And Newgen has a file to find War3, but you can put your custom path if you want, i'm not on the PC, but the file name should be obvious and you just have to uncomment a line

Reinstalling from battlenet (loong time since I had a cd) installs the latest wc3 version so that alone is not enogh to go for an old version.

What I need is a guide on how to locate my wc3 folder for the purpose of both Newgen and
wvs version swapper. Both run into the same problem of finding where wc3 is installed no matter what file I tell them to despite wc3 being both in documents and programs.

Level 3
Newgen no longer works. You need to migrate to using Sharpcraft which offers most of the JNGP features and is maintained to run on the latest version of WC3.

Tried Sharpcraft a while back. It cant open the map and lacks key functions like custom tile pathability. Its not a valid option....yet.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

SharpCraft works perfectly fine.

It's SharpCraft or nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 3
SharpCraft works perfectly fine.

It's SharpCraft or nothing.

Worthless comment that offers no help or anything of value whatsoever.

Great, sharpcraft works for you! It does however not work with my map. I've been over this, no need to say it again. This thread was for help in doing what many other editors are doing.....changing wc3 version and continuing to use newgen.

If you cant help me, dont post pointless thrash that pretends you have a magical solution when I have ruled it out already.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You could always buy a WC3 hard copy just to install an old version and then update to 1.27 using the stand alone installer.

I strongly recommend removing the JNGP requiring elements from your map to make it compatible with SharpCraft. This will make it more maintainable in the long term.

Level 3
You could always buy a WC3 hard copy just to install an old version and then update to 1.27 using the stand alone installer.

I strongly recommend removing the JNGP requiring elements from your map to make it compatible with SharpCraft. This will make it more maintainable in the long term.

True, I could go buy a hard copy. Seems more hassle than its worth though.

Wish I knew what those JNGP things were. I know nothing of coding and only learned with the editor as I went along. Still, I cant open the map so I guess it dosent matter anyway.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Wish I knew what those JNGP things were. I know nothing of coding and only learned with the editor as I went along. Still, I cant open the map so I guess it dosent matter anyway.
Usually this is caused by using the GUI extension JNGP had. When such GUI actions and functions are used it makes the map unable to be opened by normal World Edit as it is missing the appropriate non-standard GUI configuration files. In theory one could make an application that can strip such GUI actions and functions from the GUI files and replace them with inline custom script.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

Uhh, so I guess it's "nothing" then? Unless you manage to reinstall on 1.27 since version switcher doesn't work and I doubt anyone's going to update it.

If you post the map and ask nicely, I'd try to repair the map for you.

But based on your salty last response, I doubt it ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.