• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Can't find my map in Wc3 Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi.

So the title pretty much says it. I can't find my map in C:programFiles/Wc3/Maps folder.

But i can still play it when i launch FT, it appears in the map list there.

Reason why I'm asking help because I'd like to transfer it to my new better pc and finish the map but since I can't find it in the maps folder I can't do it.

And yes I have checked it really carefully and double checked its not there.
Not even in the sub folders like Downloads or Scenario.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Level 2
Okay. I did that. I clicked save map as... it shows that the path really is
Warcraft III > Maps > Download.

I go check it and its not there...

What should I do?

Level 2
Even when i selected that it shows every file on my pc and run the search it couldn't find it!

I can play it and i can even create the game and join with other pc and start it and play the map but i can't transfer the map file to other pc. I simply cannot find the map file its like it doesn't exist.

I've been making this map for 2 weeks so far. Do I have to start over?

Level 3
Mind telling us your operating system? There's bound to be a procedure for making those files visible, but it's slightly different for each Windows for example.

Meanwhile, another solution would be using Far Manager to find it. You can use Far Manager instead of Explorer to find the file, this is helpful because Far Manager sees hidden files, system files and mostly everything an operating system tries to hide from its user. It's never failed at allowing to see everything XP tried to hide from me. You can download it from here.

http://www.farmanager.com/index.php?l=en

It's quite different from using the normal explorer but I'll give you a few indications. Press ALT-F1 to change the drive the manager is on. ALT-F1 is for the left side, ALT-F2 is for the right side. In your situation you want the drive to be C:

Afterwards, navigate to the Warcraft folder. The ". ." at the top of each screen represents going up a level, or more simply exiting a folder. So you'll have to go up until you're in C:, then find Program Files and enter it, then find the Wc3 folder and enter it. Here press ALT-7 and enter *.w3x* in there.

The asterisks are mandatory. This will show all .w3x files in the Warcraft folder, your map should be there, click it and it will take you to its location. Lastly press shift-F6 and rename it to something your operating system recognizes such as:

yourmap.w3x -> yourmap.txt
OR
yourmap.w3x -> yourmap.exe

Now it should be visible in explorer.

If your files extension isn't .w3x then search with what extension it has (maybe it's a campaign file or Warcraft: reign of chaos file, then it has a different extension than .w3x). If this explanation is confusing or anything, just tell me and I'll elaborate with some pictures or a video. If you're Romanian, and you probably are by the name, I can explain it in Romanian, if that's easier.

Level 2
Okay, Hi.
First: I'm from Finland, but its okay that you confused me to to romanian because apparently lot of people do. Every game i play there's someone thinking I'm romanian because of the name I'm using? ( I know it means Dead or was it Death in romanian, it has been told to me like 20+ times xD ).

Two: I have Windows Vista.

Three: I tried intalling the program you suggested but I only get some error my pc doesn't support it or something.

If we can't find way to fix this its cool. Im probably gonna be busy playing Mw3 and Skyrim soon. You see i bought all the components and build my new pc that can now run newer games.

Level 3
First: Haha, sorry about the confusion. Yeah, it means the Dead, as in a singular dead person. Does it mean something in Finnish?

Three: Have you tried both the x64 and the x86 versions? There's a link on that page to change between the two. I can't help unless you give me the specific error.

Two: I'm not sure why a .w3x file would be a hidden file but it's worth a shot: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files
I'd suggest doing this off of an administrator account if possible.

Level 2
"Mortu" doesn't mean anything in finnish. I've actually picked it up from TMNT ( Turtles ) when i was watching it when i was a kid ( like close 7 years ago ). There was character with the name.

I got it working now but i really don't get it how to use it. I was able to get to the C: Prog/Wc3/Maps but I still couldn't find it there and the ALt-7 search wasnt working properly. I could only type "w" into the search slot.

I tried to enable hidden files from Control Panel but it didn't help.

Level 3
Hmm, when you go with explorer to the maps folder can you see this button?

compatibiltyfiles1%5B4%5D.png

If so, try clicking it. I found this on a forum. Some guy couldn't find a few Yahoo files. Same situation, could open them using other programs but explorer would not see them there.

In Explorer, when you navigate to:

'C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger'

You should see a button in the toolbar labeled 'Compatibility files'. Click
that & you will be taken to:

'C:\Users\<UserName>AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program
Files\Yahoo!\Messenger'

source: http://www.vistax64.com/vista-file-management/144172-cant-see-files-some-folders.html

Level 2
Thank you Voukras!
I checked if there was that "Compatibility Files" and there was. I clicked it and found my map.

Thanks for the help^^

Status
Not open for further replies.