• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Can i change the unit answer rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello hive! I was wondering if there is a way to change the rate units answer to player orders. Its kinda anoying that they talks everytime i click and i wanted to change that, if possible.

Thanks for reading!

Level 21
no idea how to actually do what you want, that's pretty deep in the game mechanics, but if this is for some kind of RPG where there wont be many available units (for something with many different unit types this would be pretty painful to implicate) you could use this workaround:

create a custom soundset (aka rewrite one of the game ones) where each type of sound also has a few alternate sounds (walk2,pissed2 etc' )that have blank sounds that you upload, or just pretty unnoticeable sounds from the game. this will lower the amount of times you hear the units talking.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Additionally, you can trigger it all yourself. Give the unit no voice by default and then trigger the responses.

Obviously not a good solution if you want to do this on a grand scale. But if you want to mute a single hero then this would be more reasonable.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If going the custom sound route you can append silence onto the end of the tracks to extend their duration. Only 1 order response sound for a unit can be playing at a time so by extending its duration you can limit the rate at which they are repeated. This silence should compress very well so should not significantly raise the compressed size of the track.
Additionally, you can trigger it all yourself. Give the unit no voice by default and then trigger the responses.
This might suffer from network latency which would give a laggy and unpolished feel to the sounds. Similar to triggered keyboard input controlling aspects of gameplay.

Level 5
no idea how to actually do what you want, that's pretty deep in the game mechanics, but if this is for some kind of RPG where there wont be many available units (for something with many different unit types this would be pretty painful to implicate) you could use this workaround:

create a custom soundset (aka rewrite one of the game ones) where each type of sound also has a few alternate sounds (walk2,pissed2 etc' )that have blank sounds that you upload, or just pretty unnoticeable sounds from the game. this will lower the amount of times you hear the units talking.
yes, I contemplated that idea, but if i replace an existing voice im limited a few number of sound files. Thanks anyway <3

Level 5
If going the custom sound route you can append silence onto the end of the tracks to extend their duration. Only 1 order response sound for a unit can be playing at a time so by extending its duration you can limit the rate at which they are repeated. This silence should compress very well so should not significantly raise the compressed size of the track.

This might suffer from network latency which would give a laggy and unpolished feel to the sounds. Similar to triggered keyboard input controlling aspects of gameplay.
that will cause dc between players? :0

Status
Not open for further replies.