• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Can anyone provide UI templates ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
I want to start creating some UI's for a Starcraft 2 medieval project I'm working on but I do not own Starcraft so can anyone please provide me with the files needed to start creating UI's ? I understood that SC2 UI's actually are animated or something like that...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I want to start creating some UI's for a Starcraft 2 medieval project I'm working on but I do not own Starcraft so can anyone please provide me with the files needed to start creating UI's ?
This does not make sense... It is not possible for you to be working on a StarCraft II project without owning StarCraft II. Unless you are implying that you are using StarCraft II Basic in which case you can happilly extract all UI files from the game MPQs using a decent MPQ editor.

I understood that SC2 UI's actually are animated or something like that...
Yes they are animated to some degree. I believe all the animations are implimented via flash. SC2's UI system supports flash atleast partly.

Actually UI us made by modifying the layout XML files. Animations I think are flash components.

Script allows you to create more UI elements eithor from an XML template (most efficient) or directly using interface constructors.

Right.. well..

I use the editor (dialogs via triggers).

Edit: Oh you mean the actual UI of the game itself.. like the command card design and stuff.
Again can be done with dialogs I suppose.
Just create detailed dialogs and mount images on them.

Changing the normal UI of the game would be alien to me.

Level 17
Strange, so it's not like actual War3 UI ? I wanted for someone to extract the files and give them to me even though I don't use them in any editor...I just want to make the images in photoshop and someone can test them in an editor if they have

Oh for sure that's (theoretically) possible.
If you're changing the textures of the UI all you would need is an outline (aka template) in which to organize your patterns.
I assume that's why you've made this post.
Perhaps you know of someone who has modded the UI before?
Or see if you can google such a thing.

Edit: This page has all the information you need.
I found that page using this.
You need to use an MPQ extractor to view the UI.
I assume that means you must have the game installed.

Level 17
Oh for sure that's (theoretically) possible.
If you're changing the textures of the UI all you would need is an outline (aka template) in which to organize your patterns.
I assume that's why you've made this post.
Perhaps you know of someone who has modded the UI before?
Or see if you can google such a thing.

Edit: This page has all the information you need.
I found that page using this.
You need to use an MPQ extractor to view the UI.
I assume that means you must have the game installed.
Well can't somebody around here like you or Dr. Super_Good do that ? I imagine you have SC2 ?

Level 3
Actually UI us made by modifying the layout XML files. Animations I think are flash components.

Script allows you to create more UI elements eithor from an XML template (most efficient) or directly using interface constructors.

Most of the UI elements that require complex animation (the Battle.NET UI is an example) are done through flash and are unfortunately restriced for Blizzard signed maps only. Image frames however do support rudimentary sprite sheet animation, an example being the autocast effect for command buttons.

HTML:
       <Frame type="Image" name="AutoCastImage">
            <Anchor relative="$parent"/>
            <TextureType val="Normal" layer="0"/>
            <TextureCoords top="0.0" left="0.0" bottom="0.25" right="0.125" layer="0"/>
            <Texture val="@UI/ButtonAutocast" layer="0"/>
            <AnimColumns val="8" layer="0"/>
            <AnimCount val="32" layer="0"/>
            <AnimDuration val="1000" layer="0"/>
            <Animating val="True" layer="0"/>
            <ManagedAnim val="True" layer="0"/>
            <LayerVisible val="False" layer="0" />
            <RenderPriority val="514"/>
       </Frame>

I want to start creating some UI's for a Starcraft 2 medieval project I'm working on but I do not own Starcraft so can anyone please provide me with the files needed to start creating UI's ? I understood that SC2 UI's actually are animated or something like that...

I've done a bit of work with using layouts for custom UI elements and I think you're going to have an impossible time trying to make sense of them without having the SC2 client to test your work. UI customization has a number of elements to it and the layout files alone will be insufficient. In addition to the layouts you will need access to the various Assets.txt files that catalog the numerous texture content for UI referencing.

The biggest problem you are going to have is that the Layout files can be very complex and have absolutely no documentation. Most people seem satisfied doing UI work with dialogs(ewwww) and as such there is little community knowledge on the subject. If there are any others like myself doing work with layouts, templates and hookups, they are most certainly not making their work public.

With that being said, I will point you to the files you have requested. Good luck.

Layout wiki entry
http://www.sc2mapster.com/wiki/galaxy/import/layout/

Link to RAR file with most recent layouts
http://www.sc2mapster.com/media/attachments/20/490/Layout.rar

Level 3
I don't know what your computer specs are but even a 4-5 year old desktop should be able to handle SC2, at least for development purposes. I often, and am right now, doing dev work on my laptop. It chugs along at times though it is sufficient to get the job done.

Specs:
------

Core 2 Duo 2.5Ghz
2GB Ram
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3560
Win 7

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Chucky, your computer will easilly suffice for development work. Playing the game might be problimatic due to the lack of RAM, espcially if you have Vista or W7 but it should also suffice for testing.

Just do not expect to run the game at ultra outside of screenshots (where framerate does not mater).

Status
Not open for further replies.