• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
everyone says its for single player. but is it possible to have multiplayer campaign. set the triggers to take you to another map to do whatever and go back to the parent map. ive used the save game and load map but i cannot get my character(s) to the new map via unit chache. even through the campaign editor. me and my friend have made 3 enormous maps and several small maps even multi layer maps but we cant figure out how to script them together... our goal is a massive open rpg over lan at work. its kept us occupied for a few months but now when it comes time to join the entrance and exits we cant figure it out. please save us!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You can not make multiplayer campaigns like singleplayer campaigns. People will have to use Save/Load strings between maps and to change maps you have to leave the game (after writing the code down) and then join a game of the next map with finally loading the code ingame.

StarCraft II may support the sort of functionality you want (forcing everyone to change map at same time and saving progress to disc via banks).

Level 1
i have over 5 hours a day for the last 4 and some weeks myself let alone the countless man hours my co worker had put into the planning and contruction of 9 epic maps and 3 150x150 maps and a dozen multi layer dungeons with 39 custom units, countless abilities and custom structures... i should have dont my research first. what a waste of time..

thank you for your enlightnment dr super good.

its probably the rong place to ask but where could i find the resources to develop my own game? im tired of being limited to modding files for someone elses engine...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
nineohfivejdm, the internet. There are no clear resources to use to make a game and you have options of adopting a semi working game engine or making your own. Eithor way you will probably want to use C++/C or any other language which compiles to fast code. Additionally you have to design the game fully, there is no ability to make as you go along unless you want a shit final product. You also need to understand many obscured data structues (structures the end user can not see).

Game development is like a million times harder than WC3 map development.

Level 1
to be honest im expecting alot of work, even if its for personal pleasure. ive started playing with torque 3d, and im having alot of fun. deffinatly worth buying, but im lacking the software to make high poly models for import (not that i NEED it). ive used d3d in school but its too expensive to buy for what im intending to do. have you ever used milkshape 3d? i know hiveworkshop users, use it for w3 and sc2 models. is it any good? worth the 35$?

thank you for the help, and not scolding me for being a noob.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I do not know about 3D model development tools. I know the basics behind how computers handle models and the process of getting them to graphics on screen, but not the best ways of making them.

What is important, if you are making a large scale project like a game, is that you do proper designing and work allocation of all project memebers. Somewhere a actual document must be produced detailing what the final product should act like. If everyone does their own thing or designing is not clear, the final product will lack consistency and be of low quality.

Additionally when you come to the actual implimentation of the design (making source code / resources), a document must be kept describing how parts relate to each other and the code should be produced in a consistant way (if you write a part in a certain structre, keep to that structure for the rest of it as it gets confusing if parameters or the behaviour of the code is dissimilar for simlar implementations in different parts).

Level 1
very insightful dr super good. its deffinatly not something i have the highest expectations on my first try. but deffinatly something i want to do myself. after some testing im pretty set on using torque 3d for the time being. its VERY user friendly with nvidia physx built in with a modeler and engine. with xbox 360 console support!

but from the sounds of things, it seems like youve indulged in a sea of code. have you writtin engines or any specific source code in the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.