• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Campaign Contest #3 - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Too early to discuss this for such an unpopular contest. :/

Actually, now would be the best time to start thinking about this, unless #2 gets an extension until next year, so people can work on it while it's holiday.

• Pros of extending the #2:
  • No time pressure on finding a theme for #3 with enough holiday time to create something
  • Some people already have something to continue working on
  • There's more motivation to finish it in time if the pressure of the deadline is also the pressure of running out of holiday time (and thus time to work on a map, even if the deadline was further away)
    Pros of starting #3:
  • Fresh start. For everyone, both new participants and participants of #2!
  • Now it's holiday, people will pay more attention to contests that can be joined, providing more participants

So there's a reason to go either way. But to go neither way would be a waste of precious holiday time (since in fact, these are the times that the least contests fail due to lack of entries).

Level 7
I don't think most people like'd the theme for contest #2. And I don't think that extending it would get more people. Making a new contest for it would work but you'd need just to set the deadline a good amount behind which is fine.

It's also a completely different story because of this "holiday" or "break time" your talking about for the most part. My exams end soon then I have like 3 weeks but I will still be busy trying to do an internship among other things.

My general consensus is that campaign contests should be in the summer only actually or at least have 1 month in the summer(where most people have the most free time :D).

Level 13
I would have finished my entry I think had I not rebooted my whole computer and now I am still looking for my Wc3 Disc.

This contest type should be avoided.
Adventure or Mystic is nice themes.
12592831955002388.jpg

Anyways, I'd love to see another battle-themed campaign, but also more "romantic storyline" C:

Level 24
First of all, I don't support hosting this. However, if you do go through with this, I recommend the theme "aftermath The Frozen Throne".

Also, if this doesn't get hosted, but you still want to participate in a campaign contest, do check the banner in my signature.

Level 51
What about "Legends"?

This type of campaign will allow participants to pick one known character from Warcraft III lore, and to create a set of adventures what happened afterwards the original Wc3 campaign?

The idea is good, though I would be more for pre-story wise, so what happens before the wc3 campaign. So you wouldn't be that limited by WoW.

One month and half is way too little time. This is not some model contest, where a good model can be easily done in one week or less. You can't even plan your campaign in that time. Sure that was extensions, but constant extending aren't good, because you can't be sure if there will be more or not. For example, the contest Linaze is advertising gives time of 8 months. Also doing campaign is harder, because you must actually do AI, something that 90% people who are very good at triggers are unable to do, unlike in that crappy multiplayer maps.

Level 8
and i guess the reason #2 failed was because during the time it was hosted, the notices section was not yet working. unless users come often to the contest forum, they wouldn't have known there was a campaign contest. and by the time they learned of it, the contest may have already been halfway through its deadline.

Also doing campaign is harder, because you must actually do AI, something that 90% people who are very good at triggers are unable to do

copying Monolith's AI is hard too XD

Status
Not open for further replies.