• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cake's Terrain Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
This is my gallery of terrain, I took a break from my triggering to learn how to terrain. I'm posting these terrains (I hope I don't regret it) not for personal parade, but instead of inspire those of you who take inspiration from pictures of terrains like me. I lack skill in this department, and any constructive criticism will not be taken lightly.

In this terrain I was focusing on height difference, and the way it affects the outcome of the photo. I couldn't decide on a fog color, so my sister advised me on a light gray.
Exhibit1.jpg

This terrain is a test of scale modifying, and how it can make something close seem significantly distant, though I didn't scale modify as much as I'd like, it is close to how I imagined the final product. The hills to the right seem a bit cluttered.
Exhibit2.jpg

The people of the Nile rejoice in the much-needed rainfall.
Exhibit3.jpg

Last edited:
Level 24
Yea in the first one the snowy hills kind of ruin it. They just don't fit in with the rest of the terrain. It could use some rocks, and as for the grass I you need to try and have it in clumps, rather then just all over the hill like that. Also maybe a bit of a green tint for the grass, because I don't really like how it looks against the tiles. My next suggestion for the first screen would be to add some more details to the hill in the foreground. At the moment there is only really the tree with the barrel on the hill, and the rest is empty. Also a bit of tile variation would help a lot as well.

As for the second one, try adding a bit of height variation to the field. Doesn't have to be to much, but I would try adding at least a little bit of height to it. Also it says in the description you were trying to make things seem more distant then they really are. Well personally for me it doesn't really seam that distant, so depending on how distant you want it to feel I would make the doodads in the background even smaller.

For the third one once again a bit of height variation, and a bit of tile variation as well. The foreground seems really cluttered as well, while the background looks a bit empty. It looks like the area behind the trees in blank, and you should try and fill it in a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.