• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Buildable terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello, I am new here (and new to WC3 map modding), and I have a problem (that searching here and on google didn't get me an answer to):

I want to make a terrain that looks exactly like the Cityscape "Brick" terrain, but can be built upon, so basically "just" changing it from Unbuildable to Buildable. But how can I do this? Any ideas or suggestions are more than welcome, just remember that I am new at this ;)

Level 24
Well theres three ways you can do it.

You can set all of the buildings in the map so that they don't have to be built on a buildable tileset, by unticking Pathing Requires - Buildable.

Second way, download WEU, I think theres an option that makes all of the tiles buildable.

Third way is to import a skin of the tile, and replacing an already buildable tile, but this probably isn't the best option, as it will add the most size to your map.

If you need any help doing any of these things, just pm me or post in this thread :)

Level 1
Lets say I wanted to do the third way, the import way, where do I locate the tile file? I click File -> Import File -> But where is it located? I could not find it in the Warcraft 3 Install folder, unless I am missing something...

Level 1
Happily going on holiday tomorrow, spent most of today testing out things in the World Editor. I have a few simple questions, in addition to the original one about the tiles:

1. Can I have a Start Location for each team without having it spawn a base?

2. Can I get a animation such as the Trueshot Aura to go constantly (or loop) and be recognized as a object? (Made a "chopper pad", that has the repair ability, and I want to use the Trueshot Aura animation as its model, but it won't)

3. How can I make a building indestructable?

4. How can I get a gate to close/open when I click a ability on it or say a word in chat?

I find making maps for WC3 interesting, and hope to learn it so I can make some :D

Level 3
Happily going on holiday tomorrow, spent most of today testing out things in the World Editor. I have a few simple questions, in addition to the original one about the tiles:

1. Can I have a Start Location for each team without having it spawn a base?

2. Can I get a animation such as the Trueshot Aura to go constantly (or loop) and be recognized as a object? (Made a "chopper pad", that has the repair ability, and I want to use the Trueshot Aura animation as its model, but it won't)

3. How can I make a building indestructable?

4. How can I get a gate to close/open when I click a ability on it or say a word in chat?

I find making maps for WC3 interesting, and hope to learn it so I can make some :D

1. If you open the Script Editor and delete the Melee Initilization trigger, nothing will spawn at the Start Location.

2. Yes you can, just open the Object Editor, right click on the list on the left hand side of the screen, and select "New Custom Unit...", then pick a base building (ex. Human Farm) and name it whatever you wish (ex. Chopper Pad). Find it in the list (at the bottom, under Custum Units > Human > Melee > Buildings > Chopper Pad. Click on it, and it's properties should appear. Find Art - Model File and double-click it; when the prompt comes up, select Abilities from the top-most drop-down, then select Trueshot Aura <Target> from the the drop-down second from the top. All you have to do now is make it so it doesn't give food and has the Repair Ability. (If you don't want the building texture to show up underneath of the Chopper Pad, find Art - Ground Texture and select NONE.)

3. To make a building indestructible, give it the Invulnerable (Nuetral) ability.

4. To make a gate open/close on command, make a script that looks something like this:
trigger.jpg

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions or if I confused the hell out of you, don't hesistate to say so!

Level 1
It worked remarkably well, but I got a problem with the gate:

I made two triggers for it, when you say "-open front", it opens, and "-close front" shuts it, but when it is open, units won't pass through the open area. Isnt it walkable when open?

And how can I make a building able to create a unit only if a hero is nearby it?

Level 9
Damn....I've been a mapper for 3 years now and I still don't know how to make units pass that gate. I've been having that problem since I was in first year HS. We have the same problem bro.

Yeah, how do you make units pass through that gate?

Status
Not open for further replies.