• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BTNMoonArrow

Moon arrow, this i made by modifying the "envenomed spear" wc3 icon, hope u like it. I worked it until it looked just how i wanted it to look.

UPDATED
Contents

BTNMoonArrow (Icon)

Reviews
Murlocologist
Re-review. Icon status is changed to approved from substandard as it suits the submission rules.
Level 7
Mr deathknight guy with a face covered in beard, this icon is great and doesn't look much alike than the other icon and thats da truth! mwahaha. Nice work! :]:]

ORIGINALITY
Resources should be unique. Largely similar resources, such as icons that are hue-adjusted version of each other, simple reskins that don't change the shape of the model, or maps that are effectively clones of each other, such as most LOAP and Footman Wars maps, may be rejected.

I can see that the BG is different, no doubt about that, but the spear is the same. It you took that much trouble to make a decent border and BG, couldn't you make the spear different.

I'm not trying to offend you or try to be ennoying, I'm trying to help. And that's da truth!

Level 10
I think the point is that most skin or icon makers aren't too keen on having joe-public adjust what they provide for uses, and thus you can only really use the variations you are provided. They are similar, but are different enough in execution and theme as to be useful independently of one another, with separate uses for either. So I'd say they're worth keeping.

Also, quite a nice icon, though something about those stars bothers me.. maybe too small/many?

Level 10
I think the point is that most skin or icon makers aren't too keen on having joe-public adjust what they provide for uses, and thus you can only really use the variations you are provided. They are similar, but are different enough in execution and theme as to be useful independently of one another, with separate uses for either. So I'd say they're worth keeping.

Also, quite a nice icon, though something about those stars bothers me.. maybe too small/many?

Indeed, the fact that they look alike doesn't make them less useful by themselfs. There are a lot of good recolours here at The Hive, and I am personally really graceful for that. If you are a creative map maker, you can see the usability of both of thease icons and fit them into different aspects of your map.

For example; I can make a TD with a poison and a night elf defence. The green version of this icon would fit much better for the poison race than the bluish one, especially on the aesthetic field seeing how most of the poison icons are green and not blue. At the same time, the bluish/tealish verion could serve as some kind of moon arrow for the night elf race.

Now, they could even be useful in the same set of hero abilities due to the fact that they ARE similar. I personally favour having rather similar icon styles for my hero abilities(again; this makes it look good from an aesthetic point of view).

Therefore, I would be even happier if he had uploaded four icons based on the same arrow with, as darkdeathknight states it, largely similar, icons. Sometimes the strength of the icon is that it's very similar to others, or made in a very similar style.

ORIGINALITY
Resources should be unique. Largely similar resources, such as icons that are hue-adjusted version of each other, simple reskins that don't change the shape of the model, or maps that are effectively clones of each other, such as most LOAP and Footman Wars maps, may be rejected.

I can see that the BG is different, no doubt about that, but the spear is the same. It you took that much trouble to make a decent border and BG, couldn't you make the spear different.

I'm not trying to offend you or try to be ennoying, I'm trying to help. And that's da truth!

Indeed, the fact that they look alike doesn't make them less useful by themselfs. There are a lot of good recolours here at The Hive, and I am personally really graceful for that. If you are a creative map maker, you can see the usability of both of thease icons and fit them into different aspects of your map.

For example; I can make a TD with a poison and a night elf defence. The green version of this icon would fit much better for the poison race than the bluish one, especially on the aesthetic field seeing how most of the poison icons are green and not blue. At the same time, the bluish/tealish verion could serve as some kind of moon arrow for the night elf race.

Now, they could even be useful in the same set of hero abilities due to the fact that they ARE similar. I personally favour having rather similar icon styles for my hero abilities(again; this makes it look good from an aesthetic point of view).

Therefore, I would be even happier if he had uploaded four icons based on the same arrow with, as darkdeathknight states it, largely similar, icons. Sometimes the strength of the icon is that it's very similar to others, or made in a very similar style.

Thats just silly.

This is just.. amazing, you really know how to work with
the effects around the blade.
5/5

Well i think it is sad to add that "originality" rule to the hive, when even blizzard has clearly broken it in WoW and in Wc3 art style, they many times did icons based on one or other (even u if see the little details as i do by modifying some of them). And it also makes the hive loose the point of the icons, models, and sometimes skins. I think that the rule may be only applied for maps.

The thing about the artwork in the hive is art quality and make an usefull work. There are many works that doesnt have a good quality, but they are usefull do not they? So i dont really understand what the problem is here.

Also this rule avoids the creation of new icon, model, skins PACKS. I think that the originality rule should be at least if not taken away, redefined, cause an artwork that is an -original- creation of the artist should be modified at free will by him/her, but if the artwork looks too much like another artwork on the hive (like many arrows, shields, items, etc.. and they do not even have a good art quality, so wich is the point on keeping them just cause they look "original").

Well thats all, hope to ennoy some people XD. But seriusly, that rule is almost burning with the "use rule": If an artwork is a recolor of another, but it is usefull, like potion of life (red) to potion of mana (blue) it should be kept. And another point i could add, is that i always changue the background, and details of all the recolor icons i upload. By example, i not only changued the color of the spear, i totally changued the background, and it is more than 45% of the artwork, that you only count the shape of the spear is sad.