• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BTNDarknessStorm

223928-albums5949-picture66518.jpg

Keywords:
darkness, shadow, purple, violet, energy, evil, arcane, explode, explosion, sfx, effect, blast, burst, charge, violet, storm
Contents

BTNDarknessStorm (Icon)

Reviews
I3lackDeath ApprovedDate: 2012/Dec/05 22:03:53 2013/Jan/30 18:42:09 2013/Mar/03 16:20:13 Reasons:This looks way too random at the moment to be approvable. Try adding an object to it, something like a siphon or maelstrom. That should do...

M

I3lackDeath

Approved
[tr]
Date:
2012/Dec/05 22:03:53

2013/Jan/30 18:42:09

2013/Mar/03 16:20:13
Reasons:
This looks way too random at the moment to be approvable.
Try adding an object to it, something like a siphon or maelstrom.
That should do the trick.
If you want a more precise description, PM me and I can provide images of what I mean.

Better, but still lacking. Please read my suggestions.

Excellent use of perspective to add motion and make this icon dynamic. Very nice colours aswell.
Overall, this is a great update.

Staff Contact

Okay, so here is what I can offer:
As I said, the current state of this icon features an effect that looks very random. You can change that by creating an object that draws attention. This will become the core of your icon.

This step is all up to you. I came up with a lightning that hits the ground, resulting in an electric current, focusing on the very spot of inpact (lightning "ball" ).

Add some smaller lightnings all over the place, emerging from the actual impact / "ball".

Now you have one object that catches the eye of users. You can round up the icon by creating some environment that fits the theme / idea.

I decided to make it hit somewhere in a dying forest, so you need additional shapes that represent trees. Drawing them all black creates very harsh contrasts, resulting in exactly the effect you want: a very strong light source, located in the middle of the impact point.

Finally, you can do some things to pimp the sh* out of your icon:
  • Use the "Liquify" filter (if you are working in Photoshop). I came to love this tool. If you use it wisely (after you gained some experience with it), you can create great looking matter and effects.
    I always use this when I want to create a distinct effect that shows motion (hence, "liquify" ).
  • You can add another layer and set it to "Color" mode. Pick a colour and draw all over the icon to see how this actually works (if you haven't worked with this option before).
    Play around with various colours and layer opacities (you can create additional "Color" layers). Once you have created a colour scheme you like, you can flatten the whole image.
    Note that you will need a dark / black background for your image. If you merge "Color" layers with layers that don't have an actual background, it will look like make-up gone bad (you will see what I mean once you actually do that).

This is the result of me tweaking your base icon.
Note that this attachment is merely there for demonstration purposes!

AJVt0ZU83N.gif

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Okay, so this version looks like a surge of blood/red fluid, emitted by an energy stream in the middle.

Get rid of the white edges on the sides of this icon. White always elevates, while black creates depth. For a background, you want to create depth, as the main object (the energy surge in this case) has to stand out.

Delete the white pillar in the middle, so you gain a black one. Add some swirls of the surrounding blood/red fluid to make things look like they are connected in some way.

I assume this last point is rather difficult to explain. If you want showcase material to show you what I mean, notify me.