• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Booty Bay (Faceless Ones)

This map contains a race I created for a friendly competition between race creating enthusiasts. It is the Faceless Ones, a race I created loosely based around the template of the Naga. That is, it is created for campaign purposes.

This map is open source, so anyone who wishes to see the mechanics behind some of the features is more than free to. However, if you wish to edit the race in anyway and submit it, do not do this without asking for my permission. Similarly, if you wish to use the race for a campaign of some sort, ask me before hand to avoid any unfriendliness :p

Credits go to:
Models: MasterHoasis, Radagast, JetFangInferno, D.O.G.
Icons: Lioness, Mr. Goblin, BananaHUNT, CRAZYRUSSIAN, OgeRfaCes, Zotax
Triggers: Illidan(Evil)x, Paladon

While these credits are very basic, a more indepth list can be found ingame. The reason for the briefness of the credits here is simply due to a lack of time :p

Well, the final thing I can say is enjoy the race! Looking forward to some feedback ;)

Keywords:
Race, Faceless Ones, Faceless, Ones, Warcraft, Extra Races, Extra.
Contents

Booty Bay (Faceless Ones) (Map)

Reviews
02:18, 31st Jul 2010 ap0calypse: Approved
Level 35
Yeah, this race is intended for campaign purposes, but I honestly didn't expect to get much higher than 3/5 in terms of a long term project. I purely submitted this in the hopes it could:
1) Help people for making their own campaign races.
2) Show people a couple of neat triggers and how you can use the Object Editor effectively.
3) Perhaps inspire someone to use this race (with modifications to their will, of course) in a campaign of their own.

@Michael Peppers: I never really knew about that 100% on techtree score thing before lol, never really bothered with that to be honest xD. I only ever use the race names in the Object Editor as a guideline as to what races they represent (for projects involving multiple races).

The Counterstrike is imba? Well, that could be fixed by anyone hoping to use the race lol, I'll leave it for them to deal with.

I also heard the Soul Feast ability is imba as well, AI uses it very effectively so they're practically invincible after a certain level. And the Regeneration-Roar-Ability-Thing is quite weak, so I think the hero would need a lot of balancing work lol.

Now, to the points of actual bugs. I had no idea that ability came up '...', I was sure it worked fine for me anyway :p. Well, that'd be something for me and anyone using the race to look out for xD. As for the dummy unit having LoS, I completely forgot about that :O, thankyou so much for pointing that out to me :D

Now, for all these bugs and everything, as I have other work to deal with, I'll make a deal. For anyone hoping to use this race in their campaign (haven't heard anything so far, so I'll quite holding my breath lol), I'll be more than willing to fix the bugs specifically for you. Until then, I'll leave it for the time being, unless there's an overwhelming fan basis of this race I made for a li'l friendly competition lol :p

Level 24
Hey,I happen to be a Mini-Moderator,and it's my honor to review your map and cast my vote!

I'll first start :

[+]Interesting ideas,it could be considered a full Faceless One tech-tree,really a race that has few fans and attention!
[+]Models used,really fit the chosen race,altough you could of searched for more icons!
[+]Full credits to the respective owners/creators!
[/]Spelling mistakes,check ability tooltips!
[/]Lack of features,in the end you have too many resources!
[/]Plain units,in the end you don't have quite an inteligent army to control!
[/]Tentacle has no ground texture,it looks ackward!
[-]It is just a heavy editing of the undead race ; You should of done a full time edit to the whole map.
[-]AI friendly,when AI plays it,it really plays it, I must underline Counterstrike and Soul Feast,which the AI uses it all the time!
[-]The idea of the portal was pretty amazing,but it is imbalanced as you could easily travel to any spot on the map,for few resources!
[-]I saw a minor flaw,but that could be because of the model,when the Gladiator dies,it's interface texture appears as attachment to an units head!

Pro
thumbsup.gif

You did a pretty good job at it,but many flaws are on this jewel,you need to correct them! And take note that it's a melee map,where balance is the key for gameplay,otherwise the whole fun and competition is ruined
Con
thumbsdn.gif

Too many baddies can't make a good one,unfortunately,here are a lot of them,you should really take heed of what I said at the [-] cause that's what really ruins it all,and simply that it's not a map that involves skill,it just involves patience and some time to edit some default values. And I must mention that Insane AI didn't worked for Human
135668-albums350-picture14568.jpg

Level 35
Thx for the review ;)

Spelling mistakes? Doesn't sound like me, but I will look into it. I don't think I spellchecked the abilities too well, so that would make sense :p

Well, as for the lack of features, I must emphasize (once again... *groan* :p) that this was intended as a campaign race based on the Naga. This entire map is really just showing what can be done to create a campaign race, and was submitted in the hopes it might inspire someone or help someone out with some coding or something.

Yeah, the Portal would be op, if I were to make this an actual melee race I'd set a limit to one per player.

The Gladiator Glitch would be because of the model, not sure why this happens for some models, I encountered a similar problem when using the models of the Warcraft 2 Orc Stronghold buildings. It was weird. Although, I never noticed it occur for the Gladiator before, thx for the heads up :)

Yeah, the Hero's abilities have been found to be op and the Hypermetabolism was found to be almost entirely useless, so the hero needs a good look over :p

Of course, this was simply a heavy edit of the Undead race, that's pretty much what race creation is: Just using the Object Editor and adding the triggers necessary for some new abilities. You could do your own terrain, but what do you honestly expect? A full time edit to the whole map? What is meant by this?

Thx again for the review ;)

Level 24
Of course, this was simply a heavy edit of the Undead race, that's pretty much what race creation is: Just using the Object Editor and adding the triggers necessary for some new abilities. You could do your own terrain, but what do you honestly expect? A full time edit to the whole map? What is meant by this?

Full time edit, Night Elves could be the High Elven Race,Orcs could be Draenei or Trolls,Humans can be another race,that would radically increase the map's quality!

And the current (my) mini-moderator vote is 2/5!

Level 2
Pretty well made and thought out class. The Twisted Sanctuary gives 12 food, which is a bit too much I would say, for a food producing building. It would be nice for a few more buildings, like upgrade buildings (lumbermill and blacksmith-type buildings) and air unit building. The tenticle building is incredibly useless at times, due to its short range, so you might want to make it a ranged building. 3.5/5

Level 1
Please make more maps with faceless Ones. please message me the link when you have one. i really liked this map. please make it on 3v3 or 2v2v2 thanks.

Level 1
I liked the idea in general :grin:, such as portals, units, etc..; but some improvements are still needed, and I found some bugs too.

To be more specific:
-Units
  1. Darkweaver magics:
  • Tainted Fog and Magic Tap says it has the same hotkey (T) (If you press T you use fog).
  • Magic Tap needs another hotkey.
  • Tainted Fog Does not work.

-Anti-air & Air units:
  • Impaler: Needs more hitpoints, also Ensnare ability would be a good idea (coud be researchable), attack speed is Slow, could be Average or even Fast.
  • Needs more Anti-air and Air units.

-Gladiator:
  • Needs more balanced attack (in my opinion).
  • Leap hotkey does not work (L). The hotkey to use it is (E).
  • When you Leap, creates and unit that appears on map, but cannot be controlled, you should create a trigger to kill this unit.

-Terror (siege unit):
  • Needs a better damage, so it can hit better constructions and fortified armoured units.

-Portal:
  • The Exit can be created at the enemy base.
  • The Exit can be created on trees (destroying them at the same time) --> can be used to attack enemy from behind at his base or steal lumber (yes I've done that :ogre_hurrhurr:).

-Tower:
  • Tentacle is pretty useless (I know its the defensive way of Faceless Ones, but it is way too easy to be destroyed and units barely get close to it).
  • Could be added more towers or changed tentacle to a ranged attack, like a magic tentacle or something like that.

-Hero (Reaper):
  • Hyper Metabolism ability has the same hotkey as Hold Position (H) (If you press H you use the ability instead of Stand Position).
  • Needs more heroes.
  • Cannot attack air units.

I want this to be a constructive critic. On overall I like the map and liked the idea, good work and keep going! :goblin_yeah: :thumbs_up:

Level 35
First, you'll want to download the map. Then you'll want to find your Warcraft 3 directory. Depending upon the version you're running, this could either be under Program Files for older versions, or under Documents for newer versions. From there, you'll want to go into your Warcraft 3 directory, and head on into maps. You can put the downloaded map into whatever folder you want there, whatever's easiest for you - just as long as you can find it. Then, you should be able to play it like any of the regular maps.

I hope this helps :)

Level 1
First, you'll want to download the map. Then you'll want to find your Warcraft 3 directory. Depending upon the version you're running, this could either be under Program Files for older versions, or under Documents for newer versions. From there, you'll want to go into your Warcraft 3 directory, and head on into maps. You can put the downloaded map into whatever folder you want there, whatever's easiest for you - just as long as you can find it. Then, you should be able to play it like any of the regular maps.

I hope this helps :)

My games turne under the 1.28.5.7680 version is it correct? because when I begin a new game, the screen display the faceless ones but in the game after the loading, i'm not playing with faceless ones race=s

Level 35
My games turne under the 1.28.5.7680 version is it correct? because when I begin a new game, the screen display the faceless ones but in the game after the loading, i'm not playing with faceless ones race=s

Had to look at the triggers I put in for this again, it's been a while since I've had a look at this. So, it appears to play as the Faceless ones, you just need to play as Undead and it will replace them with the Faceless.

Level 1
Had to look at the triggers I put in for this again, it's been a while since I've had a look at this. So, it appears to play as the Faceless ones, you just need to play as Undead and it will replace them with the Faceless.

thx a lot it's good! very good job =)