• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bone Spiked Shield

Well, I decided there just wasn't enough bone in my last shield. I think that one is alright, too, so I'm uploading this one separately.

It is teamcolored, I hope you enjoy it. If you want to remove the teamcolor, you have my permission to do it yourself. If you don't know how to do it yourself, ask me, and I'll do it for you, and send it to you.

Update 09/13/12 (Same day as upload)
--Re-wrapped bones slightly
--Reduced teamcolor
--Removed bugged skull

Update 10/09/12
--Re-positioned shield closer to hand
--Added a handle
--Made shield slightly smaller
--File size increased by 1 kb :(

The pack is up! Check out the [thread=223860]Bone Pack[/thread] for a convenient download!

Keywords:
bone, shield, spike, skeleton, attachment, barbaric, bloody, teamcolor
Contents

Bone Spiked Shield (Model)

Reviews
00:09, 23rd Sep 2012 Kwaliti: A fine and useful resource. Users should note that the shield attaches exclusively to the left hand.

M

00:09, 23rd Sep 2012
Kwaliti:

A fine and useful resource.

Users should note that the shield attaches exclusively to the left hand.

I think that you should try some other texture some day..

And that creepy skull, hmhmhm...

The last few things I've made are meant to fit together. If they had a different texture on the bone, they wouldn't really fit together on the same unit very well. Don't worry, as soon as I'm done making all of the stuff for this set, I'll be making other things.

As for the skull on the other shield, well that texture was actually part of the user interface, and wasn't meant for 3-d wrapping. I did my best to pull it off, but I decided not to use that skull on this shield, because I'm not quite satisfied with the way that skull turned out.

Download your model and take a look at it, i think that you made a mistake somewhere... :pointing at teamcolored skull geoset:

What the... How'd that happen?...

I'm fixing that, and updating the model, give me a moment...

Edit: It's fixed. Decreased the file size a lot, too. I have no idea why that random teamcolored skull got into the model, my model editor must have bugged out or something. It even created a new material for it that I'd never made, that's really weird. Thanks for pointing that out for me before too many people saw it.

I also reduced the amount of teamcolor on the shield.

Last edited:
Level 8
This isn't animated, it's for using as an attachment.

I might make an animated bone wall just for you in the future, though.

Woo! You changed it up a little bit! (Team colouring ;))
Cool. Looks nice! :) 5/5 +rep

EDIT
This might be a good model for my new ability in my map: Bone Wall
5/5

He could make dummies with this model attached to them :p? Then have them line up in a spell or something.

cool shield! looks good on the ghoul

could look more organic though, less like a wooden crate flat painted white and more like curved and randomly salvaged bones, like your chest plate, with more bends in the bones, bones are usually curved right? so maybe decreasing those right angles or adding more angles to round things off would perhaps look more like a bunch of bones thrown together as a shield.

even so I like it as is. 6.5/10

EDIT: perhaps adding some bone nob's, on the ends of those bone bars, could perhaps help too. or even just more of those jagged spikes of bone all random sizes at the ends of those bars. something wrong with the frame look. the look that the bones were super evenly sawed off and glued to that surrounding frame bone, rather then holes drilled into the bone frame and pieces of bone popping through. which might look a tiny bit better I dont know.

still cool on the ghoul

cool shield! looks good on the ghoul

could look more organic though, less like a wooden crate flat painted white and more like curved and randomly salvaged bones, like your chest plate, with more bends in the bones, bones are usually curved right? so maybe decreasing those right angles or adding more angles to round things off would perhaps look more like a bunch of bones thrown together as a shield.

even so I like it as is. 6.5/10

EDIT: perhaps adding some bone nob's, on the ends of those bone bars, could perhaps help too. or even just more of those jagged spikes of bone all random sizes at the ends of those bars. something wrong with the frame look. the look that the bones were super evenly sawed off and glued to that surrounding frame bone, rather then holes drilled into the bone frame and pieces of bone popping through. which might look a tiny bit better I dont know.

still cool on the ghoul

There aren't any right angles, and all of the bones already curve, and are not flat.

Adding holes to put bones through, and nobs, wouldn't be noticable in-game, looking down at your unit. All that would do is add unecessary file size and poly count just to look better in the preview. If you read my signature, you'll realize that I make my models for optimal in-game use, not for gathering ratings.

Edit: The shield wasn't even attaching properly on the version that I uploaded, and nobody bothered to say anything after all this time? Did nobody test it in-game? Somehow I must have missed it the first time around, but while I was taking a screenshot for my pack, when I zoomed in closely, I noticed that there was space between the shield and hand; I didn't like that. So I added a handle, I hope you folks like it.

Last edited:
Level 4
There's something about it, it's just (In my opinion) not right.... Personally, I would rethink/re-do this model. It looks very, very weird.

There's something about it, it's just (In my opinion) not right.... Personally, I would rethink/re-do this model. It looks very, very weird.

I didn't intend for it to look normal. It looks the way I want it to.

As always, I'll be making more variations of each piece of the set, for people to mix and match as they please, but I'll still be keeping this one as well.