• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Blizzard + RainofFire + Blizzard = Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I got blizzard, rain of fire, and another rain of fire spell on a hero
obviously when rain of fire is cast the other rain of fire casts as well, or instead, etc.

any idea how i can get a 3rd spell with a similar look of rainoffire/blizzard without using them again

would 2 blizzards instead of 2 rain of fires work?

im thinking fire strike or something? remove the art and replace it with a different missile (im trying to use meteor custom model) so that it simply looks like its coming from the sky. i wanted it to slam down like 3 times though (3 meteors hitting slowly over time dealing big damage (as it does now when i use blizz/rain of fire)) but im not sure how that would happen.

also ive tried understanding dummy/channeling custom abilities and there isnt a tutorial on the planet that explains it. (most written tutorials explain stuff as though the person already understands it lmao) which sucks because it seems simple i just dont get it?

maybe there's something im missing though so before i dig thorugh this for hours/day(s) imma come here first.

thanks

Level 21
would 2 blizzards instead of 2 rain of fires work?
the reason 2 RoF didn't work is becaus each spell has an internal orderID. when one unit has two spells with the same order ID - whenever you tell it to cast one of them, it doesn't know which one you mean since in the game's eyes they are the same thing. so It tries to cast both of them, or just one of them randomly. So whenever you have one unit with multiple spells based on one ability it will bug out.
im thinking fire strike or something? remove the art and replace it with a different missile
you should probably be able to use flame strike and just change the art to whatever model you want. (for a custom model you will have to first import the model etc).

also ive tried understanding dummy/channeling custom abilities and there isnt a tutorial on the planet that explains it. (most written tutorials explain stuff as though the person already understands it lmao) which sucks because it seems simple i just dont get it?

channel is made for writing spells with triggers. channel is a very flexible spell that does nothing on its own. it lets you choose what kind of target the spell will have and all it's other options. then you go into the trigger editor and write triggers that define what should happen when that spell is cast.

so you could def write the spell you want based on channel too.

(I can show you an example later)

Level 9
the reason 2 RoF didn't work is because each spell has an internal orderID. when one unit has two spells with the same order ID - whenever you tell it to cast one of them, it doesn't know which one you mean since in the game's eyes they are the same thing. so It tries to cast both of them, or just one of them randomly. So whenever you have one unit with multiple spells based on one ability it will bug out.
i put down this ability for a few weeks (months? lol) now but before i stopped i found the solution, atleast i was remembering that i did
and i think that was it LOL (not that its a solution cuz i dont think you can change that order ID lmao) thats why i came here first before i tampered with it for ages

thank you!

also can you change the Order ID? (i believe not. also if i could you would've told me lol) but...i had a problem similar to this weeks ago... maybe that was a different problem though i can't remember what/where i had to do something with order Id's but whatever (the other ID (the one you can change when you first create a new spell/mode/buff/etc)

Level 21
can you change the Order ID?

that is another one of the things that is useful about channel. channel is the only spell whos order id you can edit in the object editor. so one hero can have a bunch of spells based on channel, and as long as you give each one a different order ID they will all work just fine. for all other spells orderID is hardcoded and not accessible AFAIK.

not sure if there were any other specific questions in the ramblings of your last post:wink:

Level 9
that is another one of the things that is useful about channel. channel is the only spell whos order id you can edit in the object editor. so one hero can have a bunch of spells based on channel, and as long as you give each one a different order ID they will all work just fine. for all other spells orderID is hardcoded and not accessible AFAIK.

not sure if there were any other specific questions in the ramblings of your last post:wink:
ya there was one more question in there if you look

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
From a game design perspective there is an argument to be made to use more diverse spell types rather than giving the hero literally the same 3 abilities with slightly different stats.

If kill credit to the caster is not a concern you could trigger the last blizzard to be cast by a dummy unit rather than the hero itself, with the hero's ability being a channel dummy.

You could also write a triggered version of Blizzard that is then used by all 3 abilities. The actual abilities then become channel abilities with different order IDs to avoid conflict.

Status
Not open for further replies.