• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blizz updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey guys, while searching gamespot I came across this nice preview:

For the Lazy readers, i've pasted the most interesting parts.

Campaign details

According to vice president of creative development Chris Metzen, all three characters will reappear in Starcraft II's campaign in some fashion, and according to creative director Andy Chambers, the enigmatic Xel'Naga, the mysterious race that helped the Zerg and Protoss evolve into what they are, will also figure prominently into Starcraft II's story. Over the course of the single-player game, you'll explore new worlds associated with the story, such as the new Protoss world of Bel'Shir, an abandoned religious retreat that has fallen into ruin after a Zerg invasion, and the deep-space Terran base of Braxis Alpha, a craggy world covered in spots by industrial sprawl. You'll also see familiar worlds, like the volcanic Zerg home planet of Char.

Skirmish Details

Starcraft II's battles will be much larger skirmishes among as many as 300 units onscreen at once. Apparently, like those of the previous game, most of Starcraft II's units will not require a great deal of micromanagement (unlike the ability-heavy units of Warcraft), and will instead be what Pardo calls "movers and shooters"--mostly autonomous units that can continously attack their enemies using standard abilities.

Pardo has pointed out that unlike previous Blizzard games, Starcraft II will have no "selection limit"--that is, you'll be able to click and drag your mouse to select an unlimited number of your own armies to control.

Testing details

Blizzard will also apparently consult with professional players during the course of the game's development, most likely during the game's testing phase, which will likely take the form of a by-invitation closed beta--the same kind Blizzard has held with its previous games--at an undisclosed date in the future.

Opinions? :thumbs_up:

Level 7
They should let some of the moderators and admins of this site do the programability testing since many of us are skilled moders who know what people want with a game for it to be fun and how to use games to great potential.

You can have a word for all the mapmaking/modelling but not for Meele gaming. Pros are those to decide balances and others. Let me remind you that pro gaming is larger in community of which I'm also part of (and of mapping too but less) than map making so the fun mostly comes from what is in melee and some will play tournaments not for fun but for money. I'm disappointed a little that it will require less micro, afterall that's what differentiated newbs from skilled or this is at least an important part of the skill, if the winner will be a masser LOL... Or maybe they meant that it won't req from the point of abilities that apply to micro, otherwise moves etc, maybe will be still used.

Level 3
Total Annihilation

That no selection limit reminds me of back in the days of Total Annihilation. :wink: I'm glad to see that in SC2!

Level 13
We have MUCH more than 5 units.

Good read. I learnt alot about the upcomming game, and it the stuff i like to hear. Less micro = more tactics involved. Its no longer about how fast you get your blood mage, or how fast you use your abilities, who knows maybe the game will be about tactics, kinda like the original starcraft was. Right now i think they are filling StarCraft's boots preety well and i cant ask for more than that.

Level 7
I've always enjoyed the micro about war3, and wha tthey mean I guess is since there won't be hero to heal, abilities to invis, staff to teleport, town portal, from that point it won't include micro, but saving units as much as you can this will be part of every game. There will still be heal of some units and abilities to use micro.

Level 3
We have MUCH more than 5 units.

Good read. I learnt alot about the upcomming game, and it the stuff i like to hear. Less micro = more tactics involved. Its no longer about how fast you get your blood mage, or how fast you use your abilities, who knows maybe the game will be about tactics, kinda like the original starcraft was. Right now i think they are filling StarCraft's boots preety well and i cant ask for more than that.

Obviously we have ALOT more than 5 units. You probably havent seen the gaming trailer. I guess no one is taking care of the website since ive checked on it for a few weeks now and no updates (There are only protoss units n buildings over there.)

Edit: If anyone is whining about how they just barely released info about this is because theyve been working on it since 2003. If they told about it at that time people would probably give up on SC and they would lose money.(They probably told everyone about it just now because people are really pissed there wasnt goign to be a SC sequel for 10 years and they would give up like the other time.)

Status
Not open for further replies.