• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Black Teamcolor Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Blizzard, I do not understand your team color system.

I'm currently working on a custom campaign that features the Knights of the Ebon Blade from WoW, and to set them apart from the main body of the Scourge in the mission I'm working on I've made their team color black. Please note that I'm not trying to import custom team colors or anything; I know why that doesn't work (which is a shame). All I've done is change the player color to black via triggers. The problem is that, while it works in-game, the score screen displays them as red, which makes no sense to me. The player's original color is pink. The units show as black in-game. Why does it default to red on the score screen? I've noticed that people have had similar problems with team color on destructibles - it always defaults to red. Is this just some fundamental issue with how Blizzard built in the black team color? Or is this fixable somehow? The only "fix" I've been able to come up with is setting their actual team color to gray or something and changing each individual unit's color to black as it is built, but that seems like a needlessly complex and imperfect solution for such a simple problem, and in the end the player still wouldn't be the color I want them to be.

I've attached a few screenshots just to show I'm not crazy (if you look in the middle of that chaos in the second screenshot, you'll see that the Undead you see are black, as are their markings on the minimap). This is the only player color-related trigger I've fired in the entire map.

• Melee Initialization
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Player - Change color of Player 8 (Pink) to Black, Changing color of existing units
TeamColor.jpg TeamColor2.jpg

If anyone knows how to fix this problem, please let me know. If nothing else, though, I'm just curious if anyone knows why this particular issue is occurring.

Level 12
Still a workaround, but you could switch the team colour again as soon as you detect the victory / defeat conditions so that they appear the colour of your choice in the score screen.

I don't bother with the score screen because it's busted in my map. I'll probably one day swap it for a big scoreboard in-game since that would be better :D

Level 12
I'd given that a bit of thought as well, but that won't work if the player just quits the game. If it comes down to it, that's probably what I'll do, but I'm still hoping someone knows why this works the way it does and can help me fix it. This seems like such a simple issue; it bothers me that I can't seem to figure out why it doesn't work.

Level 12
My guess is that they didn't have a black-coloured thing for the score screen, so they just defaulted to player 1 colour. There isn't normally a black team in the game, anyway.

Level 12
I assume so as well. I spent some time poking around the .mpq trying to figure out how that particular part of the scorescreen decides what color to use but I never managed to find out. The scorescreen models I looked at don't seem to have replaceable ID layers, so I'm really confused where the team color comes from. Right now I'm just using the brown team color for the scorescreen and using unit color triggers to adjust in-game color, which works as a temporary solution. Hopefully at some point I'll stumble upon some fix for this, but I don't expect much, honestly. This is probably just one of those funky WarCraft III quirks that I'm just going to have to deal with.

Level 12
What do you mean? If you mean switching the actual .tga/.blp replaceable textures files, that doesn't work because WarCraft III draws the team colors directly from the .mpq. For whatever reason, things that are told to use the black teamcolor that are not supposed to use black teamcolor (like the scorescreen) draw from the red teamcolor from the .mpq and I don't know how to change that. Triggers can't do that deep of an edit.

What do you mean? If you mean switching the actual .tga/.blp replaceable textures files, that doesn't work because WarCraft III draws the team colors directly from the .mpq. For whatever reason, things that are told to use the black teamcolor that are not supposed to use black teamcolor (like the scorescreen) draw from the red teamcolor from the .mpq and I don't know how to change that. Triggers can't do that deep of an edit.

Forgot that feature was hardcoded/game-locked. Well, either skip the score screen or make your own or use another color or tell players to use local files or a custom MPQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.