• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Black Screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Not sure if this is the right forum or Warcraft Discussion is preferable, but here it goes.

I've been having a problem with taking screenshots.
I took some screenshots while in a game, and when I opened them they were totally black. How did this happen?
To open the .tga files I used IrfanView and then I tried with GIMP. Both came with the same result.

Level 32
There must be some problem with your local software, Rui. This kid can open .tga files with a variety of programs, including Adobe Photoshop, Gimp, IrfanView, MS Photo Editor and Paint Shop Pro.

How do other .tga's (aside from Warcraft III screen shots) display on your machine? Also, are your file associations configured properly? What OS are you running?

Level 18
Could be that wc3's graphics are being hardware-accelerated by your gfx card and bypassing your software rendering to insert the screen directly into the VGA signal, meaning you'd need to turn off hardware acceleration to be able to take screenshots. The same thing often happens with trying to take screenshots of running movies.

Try running in opengl mode (Right-Click on your wc3 shortcut -> Properties -> Shortcut tab -> Target field: add "-opengl" (without the quotation marks) to the end of the line.

Or:

Right-Click -> Properties -> Troubleshoot tab: lower your hardware acceleration to the setting third from the right (any lower and wc3 will not start).

Not sure if the first one will work, and the second probably wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.