• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

BJ's and Non BJ's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Moin moin =)

Yes I have a little free time now and I don't know why I this get into my mind but here it is: Actually I want ask WHY BJ's are so bad. And this isn't just simple, because there are more things I don't understand.

What is the difference between a BJ and a non BJ. Like in this example:
JASS:
    call SetUnitAbilityLevelSwapped('ANab', GetTriggerUnit(), 1)
    call SetUnitAbilityLevel(GetTriggerUnit(), 'ANab', 1)
I mean, what's so bad, if I pick first the ability and then the unit as first the unit and then the ability?

Second part I notice and I'm still wondering is about this:
JASS:
    if GetUnitTypeId(GetKillingUnitBJ()) == 'hfoo' then
    if GetUnitTypeId(GetKillingUnit()) == 'hf00' then
As you see you don't write anything into the (), but still there's a BJ and the same thing without the BJ. How this work there and why there's a BJ and non BJ?

Another thing I notice for some minutes and I don't understand this too, was the GUI Action "Game Cache - Save Game Cache". Anyway I'm confused, that I have this action and others not, but when I convert this with the normal World Editor I get: call SaveGameCacheBJ. When I convert this with the NewGen Editor I get: call SaveGameCache.
Wondering about that, because NewGen doesn't convert BJ's to non BJ's automatically and why there are a difference now between both editors?

Another thing is about "Not bad BJ's". For example "Event BJ's" like:
JASS:
   call TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ( gg_trg_1, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_DEATH )
Why these BJ's are now ok and you can leave them as they are.

Now you see, with what I spend my free time @work and I hope I get clear answers about this, that even I can understand this whole thing. =)

One more thing I notice, that some BJ's aren't red marked if I use them with NewGen like:
JASS:
    set bj_forLoopAIndex = 1
    set bj_forLoopAIndexEnd = 10
    loop
        exitwhen bj_forLoopAIndex > bj_forLoopAIndexEnd
        set bj_forLoopAIndex = bj_forLoopAIndex + 1
    endloop
Again, BJ doesn't seem to be bad here and why those Bj's aren't marked with red?

Btw: Is BJ = BlizzardJass or what?^^

Greetings
~ The Bomb King > Dr. Boom

Well, firstly, BJ's are bad as something like
GetLastCreatedUnit()

is

JASS:
constant function GetLastCreatedUnit takes nothing returns unit
    return bj_LastCreatedUnit
endfunction
so as you can see, you're executing another trigger, which takes some memory, instead of just using the bj_LastCreatedUnit variable.

other functions like "GetKillingUnitTypeBJ" are this
JASS:
function GetKillingUnitBJ takes nothing returns unit
     return GetKillingUnit()
endfunction
So, why wouldn't you just use "GetKillingUnitType()" instead of having to go through another function?

There's a few functions that are actually not like that, i don't have the editor open at the moment, but the event actions look like this
JASS:
function TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ takes trigger t, triggerevent, returns nothing
     local integer loop = 0
     loop
          call TriggerRegisterPlayerUnitEvent(t, triggerevent, Player(loop)
          set loop = loop + 1
          exitwhen loop = bj_maxplayers
endfunction
and the reason some bjs aren't considered "evil" is they're bj Variables.

such as bj_forLoopAIndex

and finally, the jngp can automatically switch the useless ones, (like KillUnitBJ()) with the normal ones (KillUnit())

Level 18
If you truly need the extra actions that a BJ function provides then they aren't bad - but in most cases (and situations like GetKillingUnitBJ) it is completely redundant to use a BJ function that simply returns another function; you might as well take out the "middle-man" and just use the value that the BJ function returns.

You wouldn't use functions that return constant numbers.

JASS:
function Ten takes nothing returns integer
    return 10
endfunction

Instead you would just use 10 - which should be fairly obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.