• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[JASS] bj_lastCreatedUnit vs GetLastCreatedUnit()

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Hi.
Using bj_lastCreatedUnit seems totally logical to me, but I see a lot of users using the GetLastCreatedUnit() instead. Is there a reason for that or they just simply make a mistake?

Another question is:
Do the bj_lastCreatedUnit and its counterparts (e.g.: bj_lastCreatedTimerDialog, etc) leak in BJs? Just because some BJs I checked do not clear the bj_lastWhatevers.

For example:
JASS:
function CreateUnitAtLocSaveLast takes player id, integer unitid, location loc, real face returns unit
    if (unitid == 'ugol') then
        set bj_lastCreatedUnit = CreateBlightedGoldmine(id, GetLocationX(loc), GetLocationY(loc), face)
    else
        set bj_lastCreatedUnit = CreateUnitAtLoc(id, unitid, loc, face)
    endif

return bj_lastCreatedUnit
endfunction

Thanks for the help.

Level 15
The reason that some users use the GetLastCreatedUnit() is because they are noobs and don't know that this function actually do this:

JASS:
function GetLastCreatedUnit takes nothing returns unit
    return bj_lastCreatedUnit // <= Doh!!!
endfunction

About your second question.... it would be nice to apply a good programming practice that is setting to null your variables before assigning a new value. To be clear: a variable will leak if and only if it's created and is not destroyed after being used.

Level 40
Using bj_lastCreatedUnit seems totally logical to me, but I see a lot of users using the GetLastCreatedUnit() instead. Is there a reason for that or they just simply make a mistake?
Converted GUI, or newbs as Moyack said.

Another question is:
Do the bj_lastCreatedUnit and its counterparts (e.g.: bj_lastCreatedTimerDialog, etc) leak in BJs? Just because some BJs I checked do not clear the bj_lastWhatevers.
That makes no sense, seeing as the bj variables are globals.

Level 11
no, really, defining global variables is quite possibly the simplest thing you can do... (its not even vJASS, all JASS Helper does is merge all global blocks in to a single one, as scripts are only supposed to have a single globals block.) It's even simpler than using the stupid ass GUI variable editor:
JASS:
globals
    // Syntax:
    [constant] <type> [array] <name> [= <value>]
    // Examples:
    constant real TIMER_TIMEOUT = 1 // the value of a constant can not be changed.
    integer PeonCount = 0 // a normal global which starts with a 0 value
    timer SpellTimer // Uninitialized. You must set a value to this variable before using it.
    unit array PlayerHeroes // You can not "= value" on an array.
endglobals
Note that initializing variables to some function will crash the game before it even finishes loading your map. don't do things like:
JASS:
globals
    unit Me = CreateUnit(...)
endglobals

Status
Not open for further replies.