• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Beyond Borders of Knowledge - new-style RPG mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Project "Beyond Borders of Knowledge is looking for cool modmakers!
What is BBoK?
This is a huge singleplayer RPG modification on Warcraft III engine.
What's new in BBoK?
Everything in this mod will be changed and reworked. There will be new item system, new gameplay, new battle system(you can toggle beetween FF mode and War3 mode) and a new, fantastic storyline.
Then, what' s the storyline?
Planet Norazion. Fantastic world, where technology borders upons sorcery, and robots walk among goblins and trolls. In this world young worldkeeper called Shakhrenar notices, that he is his elvenkind lives under unknown, but very dangerous menace. He seeks for answers, but way of answers leads to nowhere...
What's the atmosphere of BBoK?
Atmosphere is another key element of BBoK. World lives just like you. When night falls, kids go home. Shops work only in marked time. Everyone can speak with you, and you can speak with everyone. Finally, in BBoK you are on your own. Storyline is non-linear, and you can do whatever you want. Even kill citizens. But this results in inprisonment...
And finally, at the moment project is at near-zero stage, so, if you enter now, you can change almost everything. If you are interested, post your comments here, or write to [email protected].

Level 5
This project needs insane amount of work, so i want triggerers, OE-users and modellers. As i already said, the project now at near-zero stage, so there's nothing to test. But soon there will be demo-version.

Level 4
Damn

Sounds amazing, and most probably will be too.

*cries*

I wish i could model, trigger or terrain...
But alas, bout the only thing i can do is write shitloads of pointless descriptions. If you need help developing the story line (Unless it's based off something) then i can help with that.

Ahh, damn i'm useless.
Anyway, can i be a tester? (when it's ready of course.)

Level 5
dhk_undead_lord PM me your email so I can send to you latest versions
gerbal_warfare You aren't useless, if you can attract more people to this. If you have FF4 map send it to my email plz.

Level 5
dhk_undead_lord. Thanks, i'll send you the latest terrain version shortly. Don't leave the forum and attract someone to this. I mught need modelling help soon.

Level 5
SOUNDS GREAT :)
I can help with triggers and object editor, in terrain well im not so good but I could do it :roll:
EDIT:
Also im not totally sure if I could help for a WHILE because I also make maps and im trying to learn to model :D

Level 6
I just tried something like that but teammembers scatered after few weeks and make something so huge alone is sucide:)
So, if you are not absolutly serious about it and have no more than 3 also absolutly seriouse people on it, leave it, because it is wasting of time:>

Level 5
Alvatar Suicide is swallowing of greanades.

Any wishes PM me. At the moment I can't send the map because of error on my email, but it'll be fixed shortly.[/b]

Level 5
Warp-Rider. You can help. Let's make idea trading. Tell me, are you taught in JASS? If yes, I can give you some great ideas.
I hope you too...

Level 5
I must excuse for error in topic's name. Of course, I meaned RPG-mod!
BTW, my email is fixed.

dhk_undead_lord. Get hosted! We'll handle your TD later

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I can assure you this project will never be finished.
All who have attempted such a project have never finished it and never will.

A total rework of the item system is impossiable without modifing the hard code in the exe and other files in which you dont need jassers but C++ programers or other languages.
Also if you mean a total rework of everything simulated in triggers, it would not be playable (lag issues) since wc3 triggers are alot more demanding on the CPU than c++ code.

Look at FPS mod (first person shooter) on wc3 campains. Beautifull mod even multiplayer compatable but if you tried to turn it into an rpg or game like doom it lagged so much no one can play it.

And if you manage to finish this project and get around theses major problems well, well done since it would be a first. . .

Level 5
Wow, it looks like my words have a greater effect than I waited.

You and Alvatar, drink poison and go to hell. I have a headache of your assurances! :evil:

Level 5
Dude. The good doctor has a point. If you want this project to suceed, you're gonna have to cut back on a few features.
New item system? Why?
I approve of a new combat system, so yeah, keep that.
But you seem to be just doing things for no actual reason than just to change things. Only change as much as you need to keep the atmosphere how you want it.
My only talent is terraining, if you need someone to do that for you, I might be able to help you out.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Sorry if my post upset you but 100s attempted such a project and none have actualy completed it.

Why not make your own RPG computer game?
Since then you can have the graffics and systems hardcoded instead of simulated using triggers.
That would enable a better looking graffic and greater camera system and better enviroments.

WC3 - tft is not made for making good RPGs its made for melee maps with support for custom maps.
In you own RPG game you can skip all the unessary stuff and so the engine would be smoother, better looking and made to your likings not to the limatations of WC3.

Level 5
What we need here is a BIG team, if everything is going to be reworked, its not impossible, with a big team as I said, effort, pacience and dedication ANYTHING is possible, but while the team is smaller... the project gets delayed more.. so better find some persons that dont leave the project in half way of completing, and dedicate enough to this, also we can rework everything inside of the Wc3 enginee, no need to overreact and edit ALL FROM ALL and use C++ like super good said but if thats what u want then yes, its gonna be tough... :roll:

Level 45
no, its not about team size.
thats how you get the project to slack

you need atleast 3-10 people. that are dedicated and good at what they do.

either each of the can do a wide range or either each one is very good at a certain point/skill.

gtw has like..50 people..and alot of them left due to they relied on others and some of them were better and they felt bad.

Remember, the leader of the project isnt paying the team, so you also gotta work just as hard as them.
meaning writing a story and placing the stuff on a map isnt what a leader does, you gotta have fun with them, present, join and provide answer and questions. ask the public for ideas or the team members will feel like they are cuaght up in a messs when they have theyr hands full or are being used.

Level 5
Well I didnt meant A HUGE team I meant that enough people to cover any aspects of the map making like modeling,triggering,terraining, etc and all other should not be less than 5 or more than 10 people not a huge team is necessary because 1 can do many things, for example I have made 2 maps COMPLETELY ON MY OWN with nobodys help, I can trigger, terrain (Not so much effective) and and edit stuff at the Object Editor I can do 3 things at the same time which means that if there is more people like me then the team should not be very big, well it depends on people skill. I cant model tho :oops: if ur gonna make this then u can count on me if u would like but at the moment im a little busy right now so by now I would like to be a tester gl with the mod i waiting for trying!

Level 2
hmmm

ok, if you need somthing triggered im your man, i can do pretty much anything with triggers, i can even create custom AI systems with pure triggers, talking system? My runescape map has it so you can talk to eery citizen and it will have a artificial AI response depending on a few factors, mood, time of day, previous events, and your reputation. I can do store systems and I can create unique battle camera angles (systems) I have experiance in all these areas. Im just 2 damn lazy to finish my own maps :(. But if you need help i will help you

Level 5
WC3 - tft is not made for making good RPGs its made for melee maps with support for custom maps.
If that, why BlueEagle made his LoM? Huh?

I'm glad to present the list of scrpited features:
1. 30-slot inventory. (© DimonT, ArchWorm, Vexorian). This system presents a FULLSCREEN inventory with 30 slots. This system also supports sockets, sets runewords from Vexorian's InvX.
2. Hero System (© ArchWorm) Another FS creation, that supports hero skills like weapon mastery, hero stats(their number is expanded), virtues(see below) and equipment.
3. Trading module. (© ArchWorm) This feature is ready for a half. It contains a FS module for trading with NPC's. It supports a trading skill and reputation.
4. Hero virtues. Hero has virtues, that have an influence upon people relation.
5. Item crafting template (© ArchWorm) Works flawlessly and is fully compatible with inventory but I wonder if that's needed in a SP-RPG

Level 5
Nope. I already downloaded it, and... I thought it is better.

Good news: Soon there will be some screenshots!!!

I need an artist to draw a picture of a hero equipment doll.

Status
Not open for further replies.