• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Better than Lady Gaga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there fellow metalheads.

Instead of a Metal rebellion i propose a new plan.

1. Instead of bashin other metal artists, we need to unite. We cant fight against pop music if we arent even together.

2. Watch more and other metal videos to get it to the top of the youtube vid list

3. Instead of bashing pop, promote metal with logical reasons, not just "METAL RULES!!"

If you like this idea, thumbs it up JUST so people can see it, and spread it if you like it.

Why fight pop music? If you don't like it, then just ignore all the stupid pop vs metal wars on youtube and other sites and just listen to metal.

Also thumbs down for your post.

THUMBS UP if you like this post!

@marcy07
It's not a war when most people who only listen to the other genre can't even name a metal band besides the obvious like Metallica.

Regardless:

If there's someone out there

you are missing

and would like to see again

copy and paste this message to 10 other videos

and then your loved one will surprise you the next time you see them :) XOXOXOXO

(I honestly wonder where the huge collection of idiots commenting on youtube even come from, I know few people irl this flat out stupid)

Level 10
That I can see as being voted on for appearance. If a lot of that happened then Lordi shouldn't have won, but I doubt many people voted on Lordi just because they are monster people.

EDIT:

I realize what growl is, my favorite Melodic Death Metal band is The Agonist. Compared to her growl, this guy is screaming. I mean, you can consider it a growl because it probably is, but it sounds more of a scream to me.
EDIT 2:
^ I'm not trying to downgrade/attack the music (in EDIT) I feel as if it is another style, so I wrote "screaming" instead of growl. As to the point of being difficult to do, I agree, it is very difficult and can damage your throat. (I believe that's what happen to Matt Tuck of BFMV, but not sure) ANYONE who says its JUST screaming into a mic should attempt it first, and then say its JUST screaming into a mic.

Matt Tuck of BFMV can't scream or growl for shit. He's a decent guitarist but as a vocalist, he's crap. Alyssa from The Agonist growls really good but there are A LOT of vocalists that mop the floor with her. Such as Angela from Arch Enemy, Matt Heafy of Trivium, Anders of In Flames, Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom, Max Cavalera, Derrick Green, and so on. This guy actually does it pretty good too.

Level 7
Angela from Arch Enemy

I despise her lol. I do not like her vocals at all. She sounds like a transvestite to me. Alyssa on the other hand has that female growl that I like. Also, I wasn't refering that Matt Tuck was good vocals, even though I like his singing, I was just providing an example that scream and growl can cause throat damage, which makes the music style even more impressive.

Its probably been said before but ultimatly music is probably the most subjective topic in the world. Ultimatly every side has a similarly invlaid point as to preference, or which type is better, because there is no 'better.' The only thing that can be argued here is who is better at making their sides argument.

I personally listen to all music. Music is music, s'good stuff.

The real problem with this is that your arguing which type of music is better, but music naturally transcends human typifications, its so much more than this. just chill.

Level 10
I despise her lol. I do not like her vocals at all. She sounds like a transvestite to me. Alyssa on the other hand has that female growl that I like. Also, I wasn't refering that Matt Tuck was good vocals, even though I like his singing, I was just providing an example that scream and growl can cause throat damage, which makes the music style even more impressive.

Be that as it may be, the truth is that Angela kicks the shit out of a lot of male singers. She growls like a beast.

Level 11
I have saw lot of quotes on my comments and i I will not bother to qoute again and again and again. I will say one thing about metal.
Truth is there is a commercial bands, ctually a commercial sub-genres of metal like metalcore, nu-meta, alternative metal and how similar.
But unlike on that there are people who have dedicated their lives to music and they dont care for money and fame. The only thing to which they care about is good music that people will listen and enjoy that, and come to the shows to have a good fucking time.
The truth is that it can not be achieved without money.
It is unfortunate that there are musicians who care only about money and not to his fans, like as concerned about where this post started. And even sadder is it shows the public.

There is a bands who care about it to make good music in which their fans will enjoy (like Insomnium, In Flames (1991-1996), Dimension Zero, Dark Tranquillity, I counted melodic death metal bands since the genre I listen) and they dont care about money because they know that money is not everything.
Or take into account Pantera, if you listen metal surely you have heard of Pantera, if you didnt you are not a Metalhead. The smallest thing they care about was money, so of all commercial ganres i think metal is at least.

Level 11
Matt Tuck of BFMV can't scream or growl for shit. He's a decent guitarist but as a vocalist, he's crap. Alyssa from The Agonist growls really good but there are A LOT of vocalists that mop the floor with her. Such as Angela from Arch Enemy, Matt Heafy of Trivium, Anders of In Flames, Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom, Max Cavalera, Derrick Green, and so on. This guy actually does it pretty good too.

my opinion that Angeal from Arch Enemy has no voice. And about Anders Friden, hmmmm, Jocke Göthberg has much better vocal than Anders.

Matt Tuck may not be able to scream/growl all that well, but he does a good job, and it ties into his and the bands playing style very well. As for The Agonists, in my opinion, she is the best female screamer/growler. Arch Enemy isn't all that good, I don't like the way they play. Trivium I have my times. In Flames and Children of Bodom, I don't like, because it is spammed so much by my friend. Never listened to Cavalera.

Now as for Crunk/Screamo, one of the best by far is Brokencyde. They have some songs that are Crunk, then a few that go into metal. They are insanely good, and some of their yrics are pretty funny.

These are just my opinions however.

EDIT: Also, Pantera are meh, I have my times with them as well. You do not have to listen to Pantera to be a metalhead. The original metalheads were those that were huge metallica fans.

Level 10
Pantera is indeed a great metal band and unlike popular belief NOT DUE TO DIMEBAG. Sure, he was a great guitarist, but it was the 4 of them that made the band. Not just Dime.

As for Arch Enemy, their guitarists are amazing and so is their drummer. Angela does a mean growl that suits their playing style very well.

Max Cavalera -> Sepultura, Soulfly, Nailbomb, Cavalera Conspiracy.

And Matt Tuck... well, his vocals may suit the band's style but there are a lot more vocalists out there that could easily take his place while keeping and even improving the band's style.

Level 11
Matt Tuck may not be able to scream/growl all that well, but he does a good job, and it ties into his and the bands playing style very well. As for The Agonists, in my opinion, she is the best female screamer/growler. Arch Enemy isn't all that good, I don't like the way they play. Trivium I have my times. In Flames and Children of Bodom, I don't like, because it is spammed so much by my friend. Never listened to Cavalera.

Now as for Crunk/Screamo, one of the best by far is Brokencyde. They have some songs that are Crunk, then a few that go into metal. They are insanely good, and some of their yrics are pretty funny.

These are just my opinions however.

EDIT: Also, Pantera are meh, I have my times with them as well. You do not have to listen to Pantera to be a metalhead. The original metalheads were those that were huge metallica fans.

lock i didnt say that you have to listen Pantera to be metalhead, i said if you didnt ever hear for Pantera you cant call your self a metalhead, couse Pantera is one of band that have huge infuance in metal history.
And also Dimebag Darrel R.I.P. was a one of greatest guitarists ever and truth that is he didnt made Pantera. There was four of them and they are all talented musicians.

Level 10
lock i didnt say that you have to listen Pantera to be metalhead, i said if you didnt ever hear for Pantera you cant call your self a metalhead, couse Pantera is one of band that have huge infuance in metal history.
And also Dimebag Darrel R.I.P. was a one of greatest guitarists ever and truth that is he didnt made Pantera. There was four of them and they are all talented musicians.

You make no sense whatsoever, son. Pantera's influence is big, not "huge". They are nowhere near as influential as bands such as Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest or Black Sabbath WHICH in fact were influences on Pantera.

I am not dissing Pantera. But saying that you have to know Pantera to be a metalhead is a crude injustice.

Level 11
You make no sense whatsoever, son. Pantera's influence is big, not "huge". They are nowhere near as influential as bands such as Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest or Black Sabbath WHICH in fact were influences on Pantera.

I am not dissing Pantera. But saying that you have to know Pantera to be a metalhead is a crude injustice.

You didnt watch movie "Three Vulgar Videos From Hell" right?

And dont call me son...

Last edited:
Level 11
Well, SON. Yes, I did watch the movie. But the fact remains that Pantera, though awesome, is very far from being the most influential metal band. Their influence is actually pretty low compared to others.

I already told you dont call me SON fucking creep.

Pantera is not most influential metal band, but one of bunch bands that have influence to metal history. And Pantera wrote one giant page in that book.
You should learn more about underground metal history, because it is generally rely upon the history of her.

And one more thing, dont trust to everything that writes in wikipedia.

Level 10
you should learn to read. i said one of greatest guitarist and thats truth. Judging by the talent that had.

Fladdermasken is right. Simply because you call him ONE of the greatest guitarists is also terribly misleading because the definition of the "greatest" guitarist is vague and practically nonexistent. IMO Dime's talent was merely technicality. Actually, the best things he left behind are the solo from Cemetery Gates and the Dime Razorback - badass guitar.

Also @Bloodbane7 - There are many talented guitarists in metal, it's just that there are a lot more talented guitarists than Dime. He was pretty awesome, but others such as Alexi Laiho, Dave Mustaine and Corey Beaulieu are way better than him in terms of technique and, let's not be shitting ourselves, talent.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
you should learn to read. i said one of greatest guitarist and thats truth. Judging by the talent that had.
Wow... Your frame of reference must ammount to batshit then. Either that or you're trolling me.

What does that have to do with great guitarists? Are you saying there is no talented guitarists in metal?
Not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that from a technical viewpoint of talent, metal doesn't have any brilliant musicians known to me. The most technically talented musicians I know are partly hired guns, they play with whoever's paying. And the real money ain't in metal.

Level 7
Not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that from a technical viewpoint of talent, metal doesn't have any brilliant musicians known to me. The most technically talented musicians I know are partly hired guns, they play with whoever's paying. And the real money ain't in metal.

Watch these, you may think otherwise:

EDIT:
more- (And I WOULD have even MORE if my college's internet didn't block every other youtube video!!!)
(Find Australian death machine if it doesn't pop up-)
(Just survive through the intro. . . lol)

Level 10
Chris Broderick is indeed a very talented guitarist and a technical genius. I have NEVER seen anybody play with such ease and grace.

On the other hand, Batio is overrated. Mindless speed machine and terrible show-off. The only point when he actually showed technique was when he was playing his double guitar - the quad guitar was a gross exaggeration - other than that... Speed does not equal technique.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Don't peg me as unknown to metal, I spent most of my childhood headbanging to all types of odd shit. And no, I'm sorry, but your videos don't convince me in the slightest. Chris Broderick is fine, but not all what you make him up to be. Shredding is not exactly impressive. It may look like they're hitting a freakish amount of notes in no seconds flat, but it's just a technique, and one that is incredibly easy to pick up with pretty modest training.

It doesn't even sound appealing to me, it's just repeated scales played back and forth. That's basically why I despise Yngwie Malmsteen. So for speed to be impressive, it has to be developed along with technique. i.e. fast AND good, not just fast.

To me, technical talent isn't speed as much as it is adapting to all genres and styles. It's no fluke that music on an educational level is mostly jazz and classical music, as they are extremely wide and easily transposed into other styles. Be that pop, metal, R&B, hip-hop or whatever. And it's only logical that educated musicians should have more technical skill than self-taught musicians.

MIND YOU, that this comment is not at all meant to be disrespecting to metal. Music in general is so much more than technique. But it's a personal pet peeve when people strut about saying this dude and his uncle are "teh b3st in the w0rld", when all they really see is Dragon Force geek level speed.

Chris Broderick is indeed a very talented guitarist and a technical genius. I have NEVER seen anybody play with such ease and grace.
Really? I just don't see the grace. That is me of course, but in that first video I didn't catch any glimpse of grace. Just speed. If I were to pick a guitarist who has both grace and speed in masses, I would go for some geek like Greg Howe.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
You should see him live with Megadeth.
Done that, he just doesn't impress me, sadly.
In my opinion Tosin Abasi has to be one of the most talented guitarists I've ever heard, not only can he shred but he's an incredibly well rounded musician playing/writing from thrash metal to jazz.
Crazy poly-rhythm ftw
If we're discussing metal, I'd say Peter Lindgren from Opeth is very talented.
As far as poly-rhythm goes, Meshuggah does it really good.

If we're discussing metal, I'd say Peter Lindgren from Opeth is very talented.
As far as poly-rhythm goes, Meshuggah does it really good.

Meshuggah is a bit repetitive imo, but for many industrial type bands that seems to be the case (ministry, etc.). I'd say their drummer is the most talented of the bunch anyway - though one thing that's interesting is all the work that goes into getting their unique guitar sound.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Meshuggah is a bit repetitive imo, but for many industrial type bands that seems to be the case (ministry, etc.). I'd say their drummer is the most talented of the bunch anyway - though one thing that's interesting is all the work that goes into getting their unique guitar sound.
Yeah Tomas Haake is extraordinary.
You could really tell he has his roots in jazz, all the grooves are jazz influenced.
But yes, repetitive on occasions.

Level 7
Really? I just don't see the grace.
That is me of course, but in that first video I didn't catch any glimpse of grace. Just speed.
If I may recommend you to a guitarist who has both grace and speed, I would say Greg Howe is one of my favorites.
He's mostly playing jazz fusion, but he also plays with Justin Timberlake among others.
Hope you like it :)

Your video bores me. It's just some guy improvising jass. How is it talented? I can name 10 guitarists who impress me more at the moment I'm listening to this.

I don't listen to jass but I don't see how he beats Chris Broderick? Or Rusty Cooley?
Marty Friedman is good too. Listen to the tornado of souls solo by Megadeth if you never have. All of Megadeth's "Lead" guitarists have feeling to their solos, Dave Mustaine, Marty Friedman, Chris Poland, Chris Broderick. . . The solos are the best I have personally ever heard. They fit the music perfectly and aren't "just speed". Metal is more than just playing the guitar fast.

Level 11
Wow...
Your frame of reference must ammount to batshit then, just saying.
Either that or you're trolling me.
Not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that from a technical aspect of talent, metal doesn't have any brilliant musicians known to me.
The most technically talented musicians I know are partly hired guns, they play with whoever's paying.

For example, Justin Timberlake's live band is freakishly talented.

NOTE: I'm refering to technical skill now, mind you.

And Lady Gaga is briliant musician for you?
There is no briliant musicians in metal??
What about Jesper Stromblad, Nilo Sevanen, Mikael Steen, Bjorn Gellote and there is a lot of other musicians that are briliant, talented and making thery music whit passion, and that is thing that is most important.

And only good solo by Dimebag is in song Cementary Gates??
Dude there is lot of owesome songs whit owesome solo playing, like Domination, Fucking Hostile, Suicide Note, Hollow and others.

Level 10
@Bloodbane7 Improvising jazz doesn't require talent?! Ok, start learning how to play guitar and we'll talk again in like... 15 years when you'll be good enough to properly improvise jazz. Playing jazz is 10x harder than playing metal, and the best metal guitarists have roots in jazz. Fact. Rusty Cooley is just a speedfreak with NO technique other than just "LOOK AT ME I'M FASTER THAN A FERRARI"

@matej yes, Dime's only good solo is in Cemetary Gates, the ones that you mentioned are just mindless chains of notes played at fast speeds - that's all. Also, PLEASE learn how to write properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.