• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Best way to make this Ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I'm trying to make a spell that will either spawn zerglings, roaches, or hydralisk depending on what mode the main spawner hero is in and I'm not sure how what the best way to do it is.....

I made 4 versions of the hero with each being in a certain spawning mode however since the brood queen has the spell burrow it forces me to double the number of versions also using the morph spell to switch between modes seem to reset the facing angle to 0 degrees

All that sort of seems really ineffiecient to me however would using instant effects be better or self buffs to specify what mode the brood queen is in? I'm also trying to make the mode switching buttons only take up 2 spaces with 3 modes so when the brood queen is in the certain mode she can change into the other 2 modes making it so that only 2 button slots are used how do you add abilities to a unit through effects or behaviors?

Also what is the best way to make the spawned zerglings, roaches, and hydralisk scale with the brood queen hero? The hero will have attributes but do I have to use triggers to take the value of certain attributes and add it to the minion damage or can I use behaviors?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You can use requirements to hide the buttons for forms that you do not want the hero to morph to from the current form. I believe some behaviours can be made to effect the statistics of summons a unit makes for scaleability of summoned minions. You could make the spawn minion ability all the same but use validators to run separate effect branches for each minion type.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Instead of wasting time making multiple variations, use integer variables.
Essentially a trigger that does this:

If x happens, and if y is #, then do z.

Instead of having moods and separate units to determine y, use triggers to change y (the integer variable) as you see fit and simply use it as a condition in a future trigger.
All this can essentially be done in the data editor. Instead of a variable use a hidden behaviour with level corosponding to which variation. Then you just use an effect chain which splits into each branch with validators to choose which branch is to run corosponding to the behaviour level.

Level 4
But how do I make the abilities toggle on making the other toggle off taking only 2 spaces while allowing me to have 3 different behaviors non simultaniously using only those two spaces? I tried using behavior expiration and issue order effects but I can't find the correct combination

Level 4
What I want is 2 buttons that are X and Y. If X is pressed then X turns to Z but then if Y is pressed then Z turns to X and Y turns to Z. If Z is pressed then it turns back to either the X or Y depending on what it was before.

I want that while allowing my unit to have behavior X, Y, or Z depending on which button is active/missing

Again, I would think this would all easily be done with variables.
It's much faster and cleaner (especially when you need to use triggers to run the ability properly) than using the data editor.
It is also a lot easier to fix and update.
Not to mention all the problems the data editor still has (duplicating units breaks paths, which are very difficult to fix).

Etc.

Simple conditions can be used:

When button is pushed (aka when ability is used),
If x = true and y = false then ___
If x = false and y = true then ___
If x = false and y = false then ___
If x = true and y = true then ___

or,

Use 1 for positive, 0 for negative, and 2 for any other variables you throw into the mix.
If x = 1 and y = 0 then ___
If x = 0 and y = 1 then ___

etc .. etc ..

Very basic logic, instead of needing to create conditions which check other conditions which apply behaviour which deactivates condition blah blah blah.
Catch my drift?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Rispetto, that does not actually change the active buttons in the command card...

Live4evil, once again...
You can use requirements to hide the buttons for forms that you do not want the hero to morph to from the current form.
If you want to see how requirements can be used to hide command card buttons, look at every research button from every research building. In SC2, the only way you can stop researches being repeated is by using a requirement to hide the button once the technology has been started or better. You can also make it so the requirement looks at certain values only on the effected unit.

Level 4
But will hiding the buttons allow me to only utilize 2 spaces from the command card? I think I know a way to make it work thank you for your help

Level 4
Fools!!! Argue elsewhere I was able to accomplish my task of having a unit have 3 behavior changing abilities while using only 2 button slots in the command card while using the data editor it was pretty simple too ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.