• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Begin Construction with Animation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hi guys.

I just made a Priest Worker unit(set to undead race) and i want him to do his "spell attack animation" when he is start to build a building, instead of just standing on the ground doing nothing.

I tried a lot of "noob" methods, but nothing work..
How can i do this only for the "Priest workers" (NOT for all workers on the map)?
The help will be appreciated :)

Level 11
I don't know the methods you used but you can:

1) change the animation fields in the build ability, in object editor

2) Make a trigger that, when a unit starts an ability, it play an animation

1. There is no such thing as "build ability" in object editor

2. Be more specific please. I tried a lot of triggers, but because i'm a beginner idk what type of triggers i need to use in order to work..
Show me the triggers or give me a map with your example if you want to help me.. :p

Level 11
Correct. While a human unit is building a new structure, repair ability is the one being used. Change repair's art animation to spell attack.

My worker "priest" is "[Undead Race]" and i do not have repair on undead just "restore" and that "restore" work with animation only when i repair a building, not when i start to build..
Also i found that the Acolyte unit start the build animation even if i remove all his abilities.. maybe because the build animation is not based on restore..?

Can probably be modified with custom SLK files.
I'm a beginner and i have f. no clue what is that:))

Is this a way to do that with triggers?
Something like this idk..
Event: Unit begin a construction
Condition: Unit who make the construction = owner of contruction = priest
Actions: Start Animation "spell attack animation" for priest
: Wait 0.5 sec
: Reset Unit Animation

Can you show me the right triggers maybe if is possible?

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 26
This looks only doable with the priest having an ability to build a structure, like tiny town hall, tiny scout tower, etc. So make an ability like that but with your desired building, add it to the priest (I'll assume he only builds this specific structure, and nothing else) and then go trigger it.
Use the A Unit Starts the effect of an ability for that. Condition should be
  • (Ability being cast) Equal to My Building
or just the unit type who casted it (use triggering unit instead of casting unit).
The act of doing yourself is good for learning, I'm not going to spoonfeed you.

Level 11
This looks only doable with the priest having an ability to build a structure, like tiny town hall, tiny scout tower, etc. So make an ability like that but with your desired building, add it to the priest (I'll assume he only builds this specific structure, and nothing else) and then go trigger it.
Use the A Unit Starts the effect of an ability for that. Condition should be
  • (Ability being cast) Equal to My Building
or just the unit type who casted it (use triggering unit instead of casting unit).
The act of doing yourself is good for learning, I'm not going to spoonfeed you.

The priest have already 5 abilities and 8 buildings to build, so this solution not gonna work..

Level 39
I'm a beginner and i have f. no clue what is that:))
Back in Reign of Chaos before Frozen Throne was released abilities could only be modified by importing custom .slk files into your map. SLKs are basically just glorified spreadsheets that change the data value fields that the Object Editor currently modifies.

They’re ancient technology and usually aren’t necessary but because the abilities themselves are hidden in the OE it might be the only way. My suggestion would be to look for some slk tutorials here or on wc3campaigns.net. The site currently seems to be throwing “abort, malware ahead” errors but it’s safe.

That being said I don’t see why this wouldn’t work:
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit begins construction //the event is named something like this, don’t have WE open
  • Conditions
    • (Unit type of (Triggering Unit)) equal to YOUR BUILDER
  • Actions
    • Unit - Play (Triggering Unit)’s spell animation

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 26
Back in Reign of Chaos before Frozen Throne was released abilities could only be modified by importing custom .slk files into your map. SLKs are basically just glorified spreadsheets that change the data value fields that the Object Editor currently modifies.

They’re ancient technology and usually aren’t necessary but because the abilities themselves are hidden in the OE it might be the only way. My suggestion would be to look for some slk tutorials here or on wc3campaigns.net. The site currently seems to be throwing “abort, malware ahead” errors but it’s safe.

• Events
    • Unit - A unit begins construction //the event is named something like this, don’t have WE open
  • Conditions
    • (Unit type of (Triggering Unit)) equal to YOUR BUILDER
  • Actions
    • Unit - Play (Triggering Unit)’s spell animation
Because (Triggering Unit) is actually the (Constructing Structure).

Level 11

Yes, the Wrda is right, the Triggering Unit it is ineed, the Constructing Structure, not the builder..

Also: Even if i remove the condition, the Triggering Unit is still the Constructing Structure...

Thank you for the information, but is way to much work for a simple animation..
I give up..

Last edited:
Level 11

Thank you, i'll take a look closely soon, but first the idea of Warseeker looks like pretty good to try :)

Why not simply rename his "Spell Attack" animation to "Stand Work Gold" instead using a 3D modeling tool? That would be much easier, don't you think?
I can do that if you want.

I don't know how you'll rename the "Spell Attack" animation of (Priest), but if you can do that for me and if will work, your help will never be forgotten :)
Thank you! I'll wait for your answer.

Level 28
Thank you, i'll take a look closely soon, but first the idea of Warseeker looks like pretty good to try :)

I don't know how you'll rename the "Spell Attack" animation of (Priest), but if you can do that for me and if will work, your help will never be forgotten :)
Thank you! I'll wait for your answer.
Here you go.

Attachments

• Worker_Priest.mdx
    99.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Worker_Priest_portrait.mdx
    49.7 KB · Views: 31
Level 11
Here you go.

It work just fine :peasant-thumbs-up-cheers:, but I still have 1 little problem :peasant-sad:...

The Priest model is not the right one :(

I will attach a photo with the right one, if you can do the same thing again for me with the right model will be perfect, please:)

Thank you so much! :peasant-ok-hand:

Default Priest (Human Race Melee)

TheRightPriest.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.