• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battle System: Need Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Hey guys, im here to ask for suggestions on a battle system. This is for an RTS map. Basically I need you to tell me which is better.

I have two options for battling units:
- Default Warcraft battling
- Unit Deployment.

Now let me explain unit deployment.

When you click the ability "Attack" in your primary structure, you are asked to select a target town or base. Once selected, you are brought to a battlefield to deploy your units and select where are they to be placed. Say you have 20 footman and you place them front. Then you have 25 priests at their backs then a couple of ranged units behind the priests.

The units are lined up in regions in the map. Each battle field has two sides for each player and 3 columns for the front, middle and back. Each row has sub-rows.

After lining the units up, you activate the "Battle" ability. Once you activate the battle ability, you need to wait for the other player to finish. Then, both units are ordered Attack-Move to opposite sides of the map. You may cast units abilities in-game.

So thats how it works. If you still dont find it clear, check the battle system for Medieval 2: Total War. Heres a youtube video for it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT9ozEWNs5Y

Its almost the same as the games battle system. The only thing different is that units are not click and drag.

Level 12
Hmm... Using that system would be better, plus it would be original. Wait, let's make this clear.. The battle system you are implementing is like this: have units that auto attack enemies, but be able to use skills. You are able to use skills, but not move/attack using your units?

If that's so, then that's a good idea, maybe even disable controling of footmen, archers, etc.

Just use your hero, buff him/her up, boost your allies, and win, I guess.

(I can't watch the youtube vid because I'm using a slow internet here, so clearing the concept would be nice)

Level 19
Thanks for the suggestion. You responded to my VM :)

Hmm... Using that system would be better, plus it would be original. Wait, let's make this clear.. The battle system you are implementing is like this: have units that auto attack enemies, but be able to use skills. You are able to use skills, but not move/attack using your units?

Yes, after you cast a spell, say defend by the footman. After it, the unit is immediately ordered to Attack-Move. Also, abilities would be casted from a sort of Control Panel. You can switch from unit to hero view. All units at war would be unselectable.

If that's so, then that's a good idea, maybe even disable controling of footmen, archers, etc.

Just use your hero, buff him/her up, boost your allies, and win, I guess.

(I can't watch the youtube vid because I'm using a slow internet here, so clearing the concept would be nice)

Well hero just sorta supports the army.

Also, ill add something up. You may choose to go forward and attack or stay back and defend.

Level 28
Hmm...

I'd go with the standard method myself, if only because I find the key to winning battles is to take out units as fast as possible, that is to say, shoot them full of arrows one after the other. This system doesn't seem to make that possible, unless you include focus fire as a command for archers.

But if you can find a way to make it work, what kind of orders would you be able to give units?

Level 12
Hmm...

I'd go with the standard method myself, if only because I find the key to winning battles is to take out units as fast as possible, that is to say, shoot them full of arrows one after the other. This system doesn't seem to make that possible, unless you include focus fire as a command for archers.

But if you can find a way to make it work, what kind of orders would you be able to give units?

That's the point of deploying units into battle. Choosing the right units, and using the right skills at the right time, plus some luck would turn the battle around or would give you the win. That's why using this system would be nice, and be exciting to use.

Level 12
Thanks Hexcellion :)

Also, random events might occur. Say rain. Rain gives movement speed drop. Also hail, which gives a small dps.

Events have a 5% chance.

Yes, that would be nice. Those will effect the outcome of the battle. An event where reinforcements arrive would be good too. Plus a morale boost when you kill an important unit of the opponent, and a lost of courage for the opponent, +dmg for those who kill important units, and -dmg for those whose important units get killed.

Meaning: kill the captain of your enemy, get +dmg; get your captain killed, get -dmg.

Level 28
Decoy commanders: units dressed in the general's distinctive armor in order to draw fire away from him. They look like commanders (same model, preferably with a helmet for obvious reasons), have the same amount of health and armor, but deal as much damage as a standard soldier. When killed, loss of morale is barely a fraction of what happens when the real commander dies.

Alternatively, when a decoy dies only those units close to him are affected, as the rest of the army can clearly see the "real" one commanding them, the dead guy must have been an imposter.

Ransom: a special bandit that can capture enemy units. The unit is either ransomed for money, returning to the battlefield once his owner pays (more expensive units get bigger rewards, but a higher chance of failure) or killed, demoralizing the unit's army (the better the unit the higher morale damage).

Level 4
How about having the ability to control groups of units in battle by making them attack move into a specific area,hold their position, pull back?
Instead of controlling each group/unit manually like in normal W3 battles, you send orders to your men with a commander. The commander's orders could also be slower to take effect the further the units are from him.
Also, i like the idea of the commander getting killed and nearby units losing morale when it happens. However it would be nice if it was similar to M2TW(medieval 2 total war) in the way that the commander is Also part of a group (in m2tw the commander was a part of his Bodyguard squad). In that way, the player could use the commander together with his bodyguards to crush the enemy, but if he did, he would risk his commander getting killed and his troops loosing morale.
Also, having the units gain/lose dmg might not be the best, maybe make it so when unit morale gets too low, they start fleeing the battle? If they manage to leave the battlefield, make it so a few of them come back to your castle/keep/whatever your base is, while the others desert.
Another thing you could also make is units stamina, make it so the units lose stamina when they walk/fight and with low morale they might attempt to run away.
If you provided a bit more detail about what you want your map to be about,how many players it can have, how hard/complex it already is and what other mechanics it got,i could probably give some better ideas.

Level 19
Everything is made by the player, including the formation.
The only orders now are attack and defend.
Other orders would be nice, but I dont know how to do a mass movement.

Fleeing idea is nice. Ill implement it. Since its a Sci-Fi, stamina would be a no.

About the players, battles would only be 1v1.
There would be 4 - 6 players. The map would be a Sci-Fi RTS.
The terrain would also play an important role on fighting.

Level 19
Decoy commanders: units dressed in the general's distinctive armor in order to draw fire away from him. They look like commanders (same model, preferably with a helmet for obvious reasons), have the same amount of health and armor, but deal as much damage as a standard soldier. When killed, loss of morale is barely a fraction of what happens when the real commander dies.

Alternatively, when a decoy dies only those units close to him are affected, as the rest of the army can clearly see the "real" one commanding them, the dead guy must have been an imposter.

Ransom: a special bandit that can capture enemy units. The unit is either ransomed for money, returning to the battlefield once his owner pays (more expensive units get bigger rewards, but a higher chance of failure) or killed, demoralizing the unit's army (the better the unit the higher morale damage).

I already thought of that ransom, but instead of getting for money, you can reveal their base/formation.

Also decoys would be bad since its a sci fi.

DJ, you could also implement stationary artillery in this system with some degree of AoE attacks (not 100% accuracy!)

Also, you can also make attacks from the outside, like calling an orbital laser strike to target location for huge amounts of money.

Cool idea! Ill place that.

Level 19
Hey guys, I was thinking of adding Defensive structures. Defensive structures would be like the back line of the army, they would prevent units form reaching the primary structure (destroying the primary structure would be the only way to defeat/capture a base). If you cant imagine, I have attached an image.

Towers are placed by plotting them via abilities. Say cast ability 1, a structure is built. Abilities would be based off Build Great Hall.

Tell me if I should continue with the towers.

Black = Units
Blue = Towers
Red = Primary Structures
Green = Field

Attachments

• battlefield.jpg
    battlefield.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 79
Level 19
Three. One human race, one Zerg-like race and one star race.

Human race has all ranged and slow units, but nice armor, they also have a splash damage ability. The zerg-like race has low armor, best attack and has armor depletion. The star race has many siege units. They use mana not gold to produce structures and make units. Units are made by transforming their builders. Has good armor but low attack.

Level 15
1st: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Zl0xTuJWU This video is cut, but it should give a general idea

The battle system there works like:
-your ships equiped with tanks engage the planet
-they destroy enemy ships (if present), if there are defense units on the planet like interplanetary cannons they have to deal with them at the same time
-change to planetary view, you have to set the destination where your tanks will arrive through carriers (outside city)
-your tanks have to destroy every enemy tanks and forts
-if done, you can take control of the planet

you can also decide to destroy your planet instead of being taken with a building. It's useful if the enemy attacks you and your defense line is further back, so he cant take advantage of your factories

Status
Not open for further replies.