• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battle Simulator v0.19d

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Have you ever wondered which Archer is stronger: HighElf or NightElf?
Have you ever wanted to test combination of units?
Do you have custom units which you want to test and balance accordingly?

How to use:
  1. Import your custom data.
  2. Use "Warpten" code for fast training/tech. You can also preplace units you want to test instead of training them and save the map.
  3. go into circle of power.
  4. type "begin" to select your arena size.
  5. Input Number of units.
  6. type "-start" to start battle between the two squads.
  7. You can see other list of commands and Features.
You can do any combinations you want
Which units have you tested and what was the result?
Credits: @-Kobas- for providing Menu template.

When I was kid and played Human chapter 1, when going in the village and saw 3 footman join us vs 2 grunts: both cost 6 food. I always left them to fight to check who is stronger. and then I thought to myself what if it was 4 grunt vs 6 footman or other combinations?

also, I have seen recently many FunnyWC3 videos testing units against each other such as knight vs abominations.

so I made this map xD
Which units have you tested and what was the result?
Grunts won vs footmen with slight margin (about 40 HP leftover).
I have tested old Night elf archers (with 310 HP) vs New elves (245 with grace ability).
Results:
  1. Grunts won vs footmen with slight margin (about 40 HP leftover).
  2. 90 archers can match vs 100 old archers
  3. I have also tested priest+knights vs abominations.
  4. 4 abom loses vs 3knights+ 2 priest.
  5. 6 abomination +statue loses vs 6 knights +2 priest.
  6. 6 abom+statue wins vs 6 knights+1priest.
  1. Warpten is now Automatically used at the start of the game
  2. Fixed Dryad Collision Size
  3. Lich now removes units from the game.
  4. Added Formation Option Which allows for double distance between spawned units just to make movments around easier. Default option is packed formation, which uses exact collision size, just like previous versions.
  5. Added shop with tomes
  1. Fixed ghoul collision size detection.
  2. Internal Trigger: added option to manipulate collision size and allow for many clearance levels. This is yet to be implemented in the menu options though, its just in the triggers.
  1. Black Player now starts with tomb of relics and arcane vault
  2. Added cart that can refill mana for all teams. Use it before battle to start with max mana.
uploaded
  1. Spawn Aura hero for each team.
  2. Give Heroes as many tomes as needed. DONE
  3. Choose horizental or vertical formation
  4. fix distance between lines
  5. Ignore zero lines
  6. Measurement option (Unit count or food cost)
  7. Perhaps mixed formation OPTION which spawns mixture of unit types in each line instead of each formation line containing single type.
For your reference, Here is list of default unit DPS data: BalanceSheet

Here is a demo video:
Previews
Contents

Battle Simulator. (Map)

Reviews
MyPad
This might be useful for some people wanting to analyze the probable outcome of engagements between multiple vanilla units in-game, but is otherwise not well-suited to the Spells section.
Level 16
Why should people need this map for testing only purpose? Why is this useful?
This can be useful to anyone who want to test units against each other; it could be for curiosity or balance. it could be for something else :)
Though the attached spread sheet should give rough idea about what direction you should go to balance your units in terms of 1vs1 unit.
The map is also useful to understand how strong different combinations are. for example, you will be able to assess how useful human priest is and how many you should have present in battle.

There might be other uses too.

what Map Genre would you recommend to be tagged? (I have already checked your signature)
I selected template since it is the closest but the map isnt really a terrain. it is template for object data test, but can be used with default object data too.

Last edited:
Level 16
well I see it as regular map. Dont think anyone would download this as a spell -_-!
you dont need to be a map maker to use this; even casual players can use this to test units.

I rather have this in the regular map section if it was my choice

If I was browsing spell section, I would never download this map. It just doent fit.

Last edited:
If I was browsing spell section, I would never download this map. It just doent fit.

Agreed. Still, for the sake of reviewing the bundle, there's one bug I experienced with the battle simulation where players 3 and 5 are still treated as allies.

Some suggestions for the map:
  1. Grant players the option to auto-cheat the following cheats:
    1. warpten
    2. greedisgood 10000000
  2. Add an auto-upgrade option via the following cheat:
    1. sharpandshiny
  3. Remove battling units instead of killing them when using the -clear command

Level 16
players 3 and 5 are still treated as allies.
intended. the -start command turns them into enemies.
Reason: player might want to refill mana with cart before battle, or might want to re-position.
warpten
sharpandshiny
hmmmmm,
you mean enable these cheats even in multi-player? they already work in single player.
greedisgood 10000000
they already start with this amount of gold no?

Remove battling units instead of killing them when using the -clear command
yea, I dont remember why I made it kill units tbh xD

Last edited:

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
you dont need to be a map maker to use this;
I can test my units in my map way faster than downloading this. Also it has the absolute advantage of using all maps features (includes terrain, doodads, even triggered abilities), this doesn't offer anything of that. Also, who the heck tests highelf archer vs nightelf archer isolated from all the gameplay of his own map?
even casual players can use this to test units
Except casual players don't even know how to export object data or have no clue how this kind of stuff works. But then again, it is still faster by opening a blank map and placing units. Just for something out of curiosity.

Results:
  1. Grunts won vs footmen with slight margin (about 40 HP leftover).
  2. 90 archers can match vs 100 old archers
  3. I have also tested priest+knights vs abominations.
  4. 4 abom loses vs 3knights+ 2 priest.
  5. 6 abomination +statue loses vs 6 knights +2 priest.
  6. 6 abom+statue wins vs 6 knights+1priest.
So what do these results even mean? Are grunts too strong or footmen too weak? How does this help someone balance their maps at all?

Level 16
Except casual players don't even know how to export object data or have no clue how this kind of stuff works.
they dont have to export the data since they wouldn't have a map anyway.
besides, they might still know about it. I for one, knew about it for long time. (before I get that much into mapping and develop my skills)

I can test my units in my map way faster than downloading this.
except such test will be limited to the exact number of units placed: nothing more and nothing less.

Also, who the heck tests highelf archer vs nightelf archer
I always wondered how the grace update affected NE archer and if it made it worse vs ranged units.

How does this help someone balance their maps at all?
I find the spreedsheet a good starting point for balance.
  1. Units should have Roughly similar normalized DPS.
  2. Units with some ability advantages should have weakness in some other aspect:
  • footmen have defend so they should lose to grunts on equal food.
  • SpellBreakers have spell immunity, and thats they have much worse DPS compared to ghouls/footmen/grunts.
  • Ghouls and archers have strongest DPS and thats why they have lowest HP and armor.
  • Crypts fiends have web and burrow and thats why they have worse projectiles compared to rifles other ranged units.
However, the spread sheet is only easy when it comes to single units. If you want to see footes+Rifles vs Grunts + Head hunters it will become a bit more complicated and might be easier to test them out in battle simulator. I would do it here rather than calculate how the battle would go.
But then again, it is still faster by opening a blank map and placing units
that is true, and I have done that many times myself. However, this map can be useful in cases:
  1. if you want to try many cases, doing test map for each case will take a lot of time. In this map, you can do any case you want with proper setup
  2. when number of units is a bit high, it might be difficult to control the units of both players your self. 12 vs 12 is easy, but otherwise it wouldnt be that easy since you wont be easily able to control all the units.
all of this can be done in one go. you can test giving one player weapon upgrade and the other one armor upgrade (you will find that weapon is > armor :p). You can also test upgraded vs non-upgraded.

and yes I have seen tons of videos of FunnyWarcraft3 channel where he tests many units

So what do these results even mean? Are grunts too strong or footmen too weak?
each result can be interpreted on its own.
  1. I found the priest results most interesting. 2 priest can outheal OD.
  2. also, priest being half as many as the footmen seem to give best result in Foot vs Grunt case.
  3. NE archer vs High elf archers shows how Grace ability affected NE archers vs ranged units. You can see its about 10% better. This can also be calculated simply to find out that 245 NE archers with Effective HP is nearly 21% more than the original 310 HP; and with the update of 255 NE archers it is 26% more EHP compared to the original 310 archers.
results should not be interpreted as one dimensional. the "too strong" or "too weak" is true for some cases.

Last edited: