• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battle of the Plains!

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Its a straight up kill the enemy, with a few twists. You dont make the units- it spawns them automatically after 2 mins. Help from Mastaford, some good ideas about starting army sizes and base defences. I made the entire map, no copying. If anything is similar, well, i only recently came on to hive workshop so i dont really know any of the maps here.

Keywords:
Human, Elves, Orks, Chaos, Demons, Spawn, Army
Contents

Battle of the Plains! (Map)

Reviews
00:20, 16th Apr 2011 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 28
I'm sorry, we do not 'rate accordingly' for first maps (the reason is: if we did, then maps with a lower quality would have a higher rating than good maps made by experienced users, that's obviously not how a rating system works).

I won't say too much about the trigger editor (as you should be average at the other aspects of the WE first).
If I'd explain all about leaks and efficiency now, you'd just get confused... (though you'll have to face it some day if you wish to continue).

Terrain:
Anyone can create a new map, add some cliffs (we call this blizzard cliffs, as it's a standard blizzard option) and add water (blizzard cliff'ed water).
The hard thing is to make it look good.
Blizzard cliffs are good for strategic value, but NOT to make things look good (on the contrary: it makes things look bad).

Tips:
- Avoid using anything that has to do with "Apply Cliff" (unless you really want that strategical factor in a simple, effective way).
- Try using the "Apply Height" tool a bit more (remember that when you add noise, you have to smooth it afterward).
- Make the tileset more varied (you didn't use any other tileset, just left everything standard).
- Don't just place doodads wherever (a waterfall coming out of nowhere does more wrong than it does good).
- Do NOT use Cinematic doodads (fire, lightning, whatever) - only if you really need fire and then you should use it in moderate amounts.

Important! When creating a new map, you see a dialog box with different kinds of settings (as you already knew).
Here you can see "Init water level: none". Set it to "Shallow water" (all other options can be changed to whatever you like).
Now, when the terrain is done generating, everything will be water, but don't worry!
Go to the terrain palette, select "Apply height: Raise", set the size to 5 and click on the terrain ONCE.
Now select size 2 and click on the top of that little hill ONCE (so there should be 1 tiny spot of land on the minimap).
Now select "Apply Height: Plateau" (still with size 2), move to the top of the hill and click, now drag along to make everything land again (you can increase the size at this point, just make sure you're making everything LAND, not water).

Why do this? What's the difference with just creating a new terrain? (Since those are land by default).
Whenever you lower the terrain now (Apply Height: Lower), you will create a puddle of water. You can create realistic-looking water now! (Such as beaches, puddles, rivers etc).
I say this because "Apply Cliff: [...] Water" looks really, really ugly. (So does anything else that has to do with "Apply Cliff").

Objects:
Have you seen the 'large' amount of options when editing units? Even though some of them are rather pointless, there are many of those that could greatly help you make a unit feel more customized.

Changing the name, model and a stat or two doesn't make a hero custom. Try making it YOUR hero: edit those values so it balances out with the other units you created!
This counts for regular units as well. So yeah, you know how to change the damage and the name, but is that really everything? Do you even know how the damage works? Why there are 3 values and what each value does?
I suggest you try out more values, see what they do, how it works etc (note that you can press SHIFT + enter when changing a value to allow negative numbers).

There are some major balancing issues because you aren't familiar with the object editor.

Last tip about the game itself I'll give you is about the gameplay: try to make something people would want to play.
Spamming units for both side to make them clash does not provide a good gameplay.

And now the real last tip: do not upload maps here yet.
Mess with the world editor some more until you know how it works. Create maps you'll never finish, just to test out values/triggers, try to reach limits, see how you keep progressing.
Once you know how the world editor works, you know how triggers work and you have a good idea, then you can start on an actual map you are planning to upload here.
(And even then you probably need to learn a lot).