• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Balkans 1912 historical map - requesting a 20m skype call ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
my request is for a short skype call with someone who knows the data editor... the data editor is killing me :goblin_wtf:

i'm making a historical map, Balkans 1912. at start, you choose whether it is 1912 or 1914 borders, and whether it's diplomacy or war.

if you select war for 1912, it's first balkans war (Bulgaria/Greece/Serbia/Montenegro vs Ottoman Empire)... for 1914 it's World War I (Ottoman/Bulgaria vs Greece/Serbia/Montenegro/Italy).

in diplomacy, i'm thinking that the victory condition might be something like Build 10 Towns. and it'd display how many towns each player has on the leaderboard.

the map revolves around cities. each city/province has buildings to use, and to take ownership of a province, you kill its Capitol. some cities have coal mines (gives industry), all have at least one residential district (gives taxes), other buildings cities may have are factories, garrisons, hospitals. and there are farms on the city outskirts (this is how you have supply). province buildings are invincible and you can't build them, so if you need more supply or more any building you need to take over a province.

naval units that only move in water are important, and railroad tracks are also important. (these aren't fully implemented yet). capitols can produce engineers, which can make airfields (have yet to implement at all) and pillboxes.

i attached a picture of Athens and you can see the minimap / general setup. and i've attached the map itself.

nsfw for size[nsfw]
greece.png
[/nsfw]

here's what i'm requesting: just a 10-30minute skype call with someone who has moderate knowledge of the data editor. i have a list of very specific (mostly small/simple) questions, what i want to do is send the map so we're both looking at it, we can both test run it, and basically i want to ask WTF about a lot of little things in the data editor and some trigger stuff (though i can figure the triggers out on my own if you only know the data editor)

some things i want to clear up in the data editor...

* when i change sea color or height, doesn't work. some textures from other tilesets work, some don't. the editor is like a maze where doing the same thing can produce different results :S

* siege tank works properly, with animation and sound.. except when it morphs into siege mode tank, it reverts back to normal siege tank model. error message is two CActorUnits being used in the same scope, but afaik no paths to models are linked incorrectly

* easy questions... some units require tech lab to build, idk how to change that :/

* et al

Attachments

• Balkans 1912 Alpha110520.SC2Map
    273.9 KB · Views: 44
Level 9
why is scype needed?

some water cannot be changed, for example lava. but there are water types which accept tinting color. if you still like to change a certain type of water then i guess you have to import custom texture to accomplish that.

you have properbly changed something on the siege tank, or added something into a an actor linked to the tank unit. very odd to find such things, good luck

to change requirements you have to check the build skill itself and/or the unit which is building it. there is either a req. on the skill icon on the unit or inside the build skill. you have to replace those with "empty" or "nothing" w/e it is called in english.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I advise running the editor at ultra graphics. A lot of the graphics one can adjust are only visible at higher settings (such as the cool water refraction and reflection).

For the water and boar system. Just make it so that only boat land units are allowed on water areas while land land units are allowed on land areas. A terrain heigh check can do this as I assume your water is flat. Some triggers would be needed but it probably is possible. Yup it is annoying blizzard did not add more than 1 real pathing layer.

siege tank works properly, with animation and sound.. except when it morphs into siege mode tank, it reverts back to normal siege tank model. error message is two CActorUnits being used in the same scope, but afaik no paths to models are linked incorrectly

Units often have more than 1 actor. Yes they have 1 actor for the main model but for effects and other such things they often have many more. Make sure the events are set up for all actors the unit needs and avoid linking the same unit twice.

Level 1
why is scype needed?
just because it'd boost my progress so much if i were on the line with someone looking at the same map who has some experience with the data editor.
some water cannot be changed, for example lava. but there are water types which accept tinting color. if you still like to change a certain type of water then i guess you have to import custom texture to accomplish that.
no, i'm just trying to set the water height and the water color, which are at the Water data tab. does it not matter if i copy BelShir, MarSara, or whatever, or do i have to duplicate CWater or Default? whatever i do, it doesn't change, even if i close map and re open.
to change requirements you have to check the build skill itself and/or the unit which is building it. there is either a req. on the skill icon on the unit or inside the build skill. you have to replace those with "empty" or "nothing" w/e it is called in english.
i found the field for this... took forever, things seem to be buried in this editor i swear..
you have properbly changed something on the siege tank
about the siege tank problem, i should add that you can't select the tank once it's sieged. maybe that can help us figure out the problem.

from another thread
>>Make a unit group and add all of your naval units to it. Create a trigger that goes off whenever a naval unit moves. In that trigger, check the World Height (the height of the actual walkable terrain) against the height of the water. If the terrain at the place they're trying to move is higher than the water, don't let them move there.>>

i'm trying to implement this... i have a navy group, to which the appropriate units are added... i don't know the specific event and condition and action that i need, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.