• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Autocast Viking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi,

I want to get the Viking go autocast assault mode and fighter mode. I want to go fighters mode as soon an air unit gets in range 9. Further I want the viking go assault mode ONLY when there are NO air units in his range.

Now comes the weird part. I made in my main map file validators and stuff for the morph abilities. But at some point when I test it, the viking (fighter mode) engage some bunkers, as it should morph, it gets stuck morphing. They will get stuck, or something. They make a weird sound, like the vikings are constantly morphing, while they do nothing but weird shaking. And when the vikings are stuck while trying to morph, I cant command them anymore. So my suspision is that they are stuck in a sort of loop.

So next thing I did was making a new file to describe the bugg (see attached file) and post it on this site, so anyone could try solving this problem. And when I finished and tested it, it works properly without any buggs!!!!

As far as I know I did everything the same in the new file in comparison to my main file. I checked everything 100x times again and cannot find any diffrences!!!!

What I made in this attached file:
Autocast for Viking morphing abilities.

I put vikings for player 1 with hostile phoenix around them and bunkers under them. When everything is destroyed and there are no units around them, they will also go fighter mode. When they fighter mode again, a trigger will activate to order them to go to a certain attack target point. At the end I made again some bunkers, so then they should go assault mode again.

Does someone have any idea what would cause that going assault mode bugg, it will get stuck morphing. As far as I know I did exactly the same as in this serperate file.

Attachments

• Viking Issue.SC2Map
    20.1 KB · Views: 85

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
A defective trigger is always a possibility. However if it was data related it might be caused by the autocast causing it to morph between forms due to the validators firing rapidly (a small error with them or their logic?). Your validators are very confusing and this could quite well be a problem in situations where there are lots of units involved.

Especially Ground and Air targetable units such as Colossus could be tricky for it to handle.

Also do remember that AI players already have tactical AI to cope with morphing Vikings as needed so this will only really affect human players. Vikings are also weaker in ground mode than in air mode, the only reason they can transform is for that extra bit of damage when they finished off all enemy air units.

I recommend...
Air -> Ground if there are no air units (that can be air and ground units) in a large area and there are ground units nearby.
Ground -> Air if there are no ground only targetable units nearby or if there are more air targetable units than a certain constant (2 or 3 should be enough).
Cooldown of 5-10 seconds so that rapid transformation cannot occur (where it spends its entire combat time landing then taking off just to land again).

The idea is to keep them in air mode as much as possible, only landing them when their anti-air is of no use. Especially against a unit like the Colossus, it is far better that a Viking attack it in Air mode (where he cannot be hit by it and deals much higher DPS to it) than keeping in ground mode (where Viking has poor performance).

Level 4
A defective trigger is always a possibility.

Doesnt seem the case, as I dont trigger the units with anything as far as I know. But I will rather check it. That would make sence cause I already reset everything once: the abilities, the unit & the validators. So within there should not be the problem. Also because this attached file works properly imo.

However if it was data related it might be caused by the autocast causing it to morph between forms due to the validators firing rapidly (a small error with them or their logic?). Your validators are very confusing and this could quite well be a problem in situations where there are lots of units involved.

Seems unlikely, but possible ofcourse. Why would it work in this attached file? But I agree with this validator with many units will get a problem.

Did you checked the file? Cause I think I've got already what you've recommended.

Air -> Ground if there are no air units (that can be air and ground units) in a large area and there are ground units nearby.

How can you tell the validator has to search for enemy air targets, while they are ground units? Cause the count is just the unit count, filtering telling it is air or ground units.

Did this part with 2 seperate validators.

One Validator that says Viking ground enemies nearby --> Within range 6 it'll search for >=1 enemy targets (Ground Required).

The second validator tells No Air Enemies Nearby --> This validator tells it can only morph when the Air targets is equal to 0 within range 12 (Air Required).

Ground -> Air if there are no ground only targetable units nearby or if there are more air targetable units than a certain constant (2 or 3 should be enough).

What you mean by this? So it will go only go fighter mode when it has find 2 or 3+ units within its area?? Wound't make sence if you want them asap go to air mode if they find any air unit..

If I misunderstood. Can you add it to the attached file and post it if its not that much of work so I can see what you mean?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
How can you tell the validator has to search for enemy air targets, while they are ground units? Cause the count is just the unit count, filtering telling it is air or ground units.
You use one of the following...
Require Air, Ground - only units like the colossus are on both.
Require Air (Ground set to neutral) - both Air, and Air and Ground units will be counted.
Require Ground (Air set to neutral) - both Ground, and Air and Ground units will be counted
Nothing (Air and Ground set to neutral) - only Air, Ground, Air and Ground and even nothing.
Exclude Air - only not Air or Air and Ground units.
Exclude Ground - only not Ground or Air and Ground units.
Exclude Air, Ground - only not Ground, Air, and Air and Ground units. Not sure if such units can exist.

Only exclude if you really have to. A bug in Undead Assault 3, for example, was caused by excluding Air instead of requiring Ground which made a weapon unable to hit combo units.

Level 4
You use one of the following...
Require Air, Ground - only units like the colossus are on both.
Require Air (Ground set to neutral) - both Air, and Air and Ground units will be counted.
Require Ground (Air set to neutral) - both Ground, and Air and Ground units will be counted
Nothing (Air and Ground set to neutral) - only Air, Ground, Air and Ground and even nothing.
Exclude Air - only not Air or Air and Ground units.
Exclude Ground - only not Ground or Air and Ground units.
Exclude Air, Ground - only not Ground, Air, and Air and Ground units. Not sure if such units can exist.

Hmm. Very usefull information. Didn't knew it was like that. But you think the bugg is because of the incorrect filter combination? I just still cannot understand why this file is working and the one in my main file showing such a weird bug, lawl.

Level 4
Got it! You were right. I see the trigger now what was the problem (see attached image). Stupid of me I didn't see this one. Its completely logical it was stuck in a sort of loop seeying this triggers. I guess changing these triggers to the right stage of the ability is an very imporant thing.

These troublesome triggers causing many errors also as the: 'Too Many Threads' error I had.

Still don't know how that system works. I see its divined into theme's like build, morph, Generic, harvest. Vikings ability is a morph ability right?

For the

Widow mine I used:
Effect5 - Finish Stage

Tank & Viking I used:
Morph12 - Unit End Stage

.. All works fine.. Now I dont getting any issues with the Viking. U think taking these Stages won't give any further errors..?

This Thread is solved. Can be Closed! Thanks for the help, again. :) Love this site :D

Attachments

• Viking Issue Trigger.png
    Viking Issue Trigger.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 131
Status
Not open for further replies.