• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Aura Warz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Aura Warz

Story

I've begun a huge AOS project with only minor uniqueness, but complex gameplay with only minor experience in map making, and found out that this job is too HARD! And I didn't want my time to waste in making maps just for experiencing, not releasing, so I decided to pause the project and begin a new one, which is easier and shorter to make, only uses GUI triggers, and has a totally simple, but somehow unique gameplay so it's worth sumbitting here.

Gameplay

As you can see, I use "Aura Wars" as a name because the main concept of the gameplay is to send various troops to defeat the enemy and support them with towers. They have various basic and "learnable" auras.
Towers are free and do not need a builder. At the beginning of the play, you begin with 1 tower that has a skill that builds another tower (with 1 minute cooldown) and the new-built towers also have this skill, so, for example after 10 minutes, you can have 512 towers (huh, this seems imba, I should somehow nerf it). There are only 1 type of tower, with, 400 range, with 1 basic aura (health regen, more auras can be "attached" to them with researches) Auras also have a range of 400, and the build skill range is also 400, so it theoretically means that towers somehow "mark" your territory.

Towers are a little bit stronger than the basic units that you can send, but you will "hire" stronger unist later (like in Tropical Towerwars) that will PWN basic tower so you will need to improve tower HP and damage.

You will also can choose a controllable Commander hero at the start (which has skills like "Force all creeps to attack this location" and temprary buffs.

There will be a lot of variation on the sendable creeps: at the start you can choose from 3 types (melee, ranged, support) with the same strength of course. I also plan a "Hire Z number of X creep" button to prevent players form spending seconds to hire creeps.

As I expected, everything went a billion times faster that with Hecatomb, mainly because the map is not natural-looking, not "beautiful" but functional. Attached the current version (T means terrain test)

The small squares next to the big ones are the places of the creep-sender and the researcher buildings.

Attachments

• aurawarz_06.JPG
    aurawarz_06.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 78
Level 27
Like Mini-me said,your idea is unique and good but upload a beta so people can have a first look at your map.:emote_grin:

Rly .. i dont get what ur post is meaning .. then dont post :p

Anyways yes the idea is good and its unique and im not very intrested because most of these games i dont like .. but keep it up, this could be a good b.net arcade game-like thingy..

Level 2
Seen this somewhere before... cant remember where..
But it was only a race in a TD, not a complete map....

But it sounds good.. waiting on beta :)

Level 5
I like your idea, allow me to add to them. . .

If this map is going to have loads of units running across it, then maybe you could add life drain aura to you your units (get life regen and change it to -X)

You could have it as a upgradable skill on them.

Also slow auras and defence down auras will be cool.

Level 7
Huh, I wasn't satisfied with the terrain, especially the 45 degrees angle, so I completely redesigned it (twice:) It it now a little bit smaller, but has some more "features" like tough-to defend and easy-to-defend areas, (nearly) balanced player start positions (even though the map is rectangle-shaped)

The map currently is in terrain test alpha version... but I hope I'll have enough time to release a basic pre-alpha version with the towers tomorrow. I'm working on it, but there is a small problem... <offtopic> even though I'm 20 years old, Dad wants to forbid and permit things like what games I play, what music I listen to... so I can only do Wc3 stuff wher he's at work:((( </offtopic> That means that I will have about 10 hours from now on till tomorrow afternoon. But I think I will have a beta at the very latest on Saturday.

And to Red Orca: your idea is great, I will surely put it in the map somehow...

P.S.: this map will be 100% GUI-made and won't have imported models.
P.P.S.: Thanks for the advices guys!

Level 7
I have some good and some bad news.

The bad news: I'v totally forgotten that my younger brother "sauntered" yesterday, so from 7am to 7pm I was away from my computer.

The good news: during this time I was able to think more on the terrain and the gameplay, and at night, afted Dad went to bed, I was able to do some mapmaking. Things gone much faster than I expected.

The result: I completely redesingned the terrain once more, the 4th version is MUCH more simplier than the others. I changed my gameplay ideas a little bit too:

-Players start with 20 gold and 2 basic towers. They get income in every second.
-Towers are not free (10 gold) but they increase the income when they are "alive".
-Only the basic towers do damage, the others "fight" with auras. Offensive and defensive.
-You can choose a Commander (hero) at the start (I planned 12 types) They doesn't have as much hero abilities (1, maybe 2)
-Troops can be hired as in melee games, however the Commander has some "advanced" controlling commands like "Order all troops to attack/defend here" or "Order all troops to stop and defend while I go home to buy some potions" etc.
-Players can also get income by capturing "Income generator" points. At this time there are 1-1 points at the player starts and 3 near the center. The last ones are "force income generators" whic means if u capture it not only you, but your allies will also get income.
-Error messages like "not enough gold" will also can be seen by teammates to let them know who to help:)
- I plan some more game modes like ctf or "chaos mode" where the starting points placaed randomly:)

EDIT: the income+ is 10% of the tower cost (1 gold per second for a 10 gold tower)

The worst news that I don't have a beta now, because I didn't had enough time to get it to that stage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.