• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

August Derleth

Status
Not open for further replies.
This discussion has flared, many a time, between fellow cultists and fans of H.P. Lovecrafts work: Did August Derleth add anything positive to the cthulhu mythos (besides the name xD), or has his work and continuation of the lore just ruined it?

In may head, not even the name of the mythos seems like a very bright choice. As clearly by lovecraft, Cthulhu is only one of an wide selection of omnidimensional great old ones that rules existence and unexistence. And to that, he is described as a high priest rather than an actual great old on, like Azathoth and so forth. That put aside, I doesn't really like any of his contributions to the mythos, but I'd like to hear all of your opinions.

(I realize that people that has only played Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is in over their heads without som wikipedia help)

Level 23
Honestly, I think Derleth ruined the Mythos =/
He added the Elder Gods, who are the good and orderly opposite of the Outer Gods and Great Old Ones, ruining the whole idea of the cosmic horror, hopeless struggle against forces that rule the universe. Not to mention his try to sort all the deities by elements >>

However, his work to make the Mythos known can NOT be forgotten. He did more then anyone else could have to promote the Mythos. He even made the Arkhem Press because Mythos werent published by anyone and created the Lovecraft Historical Society. His work to popularize the Mythos is simply priceless, and for that we must thank him. He was a great man. Sadly he wasnt that good of a Mythos author, as he was their protector.

Level 23
Actually Cthulhu is a Great Old One. You confuse Outer Gods(Azathoth, Nyarlathotep and Yog-Sothoth) with Great Old Ones who are much weaker then the Outer Gods. So Cthulhu's position not only as a Great Old One but also as a High Priest, shows that he must be amongst the most powerful of his kind.

Well I think the name is justified, since of all the Outer Gods and Old Ones, Cthulhu has always had the highest impact on Earth and the great influence over it. I mean the mankind could probably never come to existance if it wasnt for his arrival and war with the Elder Things.

Nope, only if you listen to Derleth. It was intented as an outroar against Derleth silly attempt to categorize the mythos. In which he falied completely. Lovecraft used all three terms to describe the Old ones.

Well, honestly, I think Cthulhu is the only of the great old ones that actually care for human kind. And that is not even much

Level 9
I just liked it better when they were on a higher level of existence then us.. Derleth made them work for or against humanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.