• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Attn Chriz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
First off, this is not the place to submit models.

Second, do not take someone's work, and edit it without permission. Hell, you can, but don't try to submit it here. That is a form of stealing, and will not be tolerated.

Excuse you chriz., but I was not stealing.

Stealing is when you take credit for someone else's work.

I was hleping the person because as I said before, I could not find him.

The person made his model public, do you understand this?

And, I do not take kindly to moderators like you.

I was helping him and the community by fixing the two minor animation mess ups because he has just VANISHED. I cannot send him PMs for some reason and I cannot find his email.

I gave you all of his contact information as well.

For YOU to say it was stealing is incorrigible.

Here is a definition of stealing:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stealing
steal /stil/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[steel] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation, verb, stole, sto·len, steal·ing, noun
–verb (used with object) 1. to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right, esp. secretly or by force: A pickpocket stole his watch.

I did not take his property. I made an improvement on his property and gave it back. That's what an editor does. An editor is not a thief, otherwise you would all be thieves for using World Editor.

2. to appropriate (ideas, credit, words, etc.) without right or acknowledgment.

I gave him acknowledgement for his work and I gave him his rights to his model. All I did was make the crossbow so it didn't stick out of the unit's hand, and the eye in the face so it didn't stick out of the cloak.

3. to take, get, or win insidiously, surreptitiously, subtly, or by chance: He stole my girlfriend.

Again I did not take his model I still gave him credit, and I sent it to the site for everyone to use and give him credit since he abandon his model.

4. to move, bring, convey, or put secretly or quietly; smuggle (usually fol. by away, from, in, into, etc.): They stole the bicycle into the bedroom to surprise the child.

I did not move, bring, or put secretly or quietly, through subterfuge take his model and claim it as my own.

I downloaded his submitted resource fix a bug for him and posted it and said it was his so he or someone else doesn't have to worry about his bug.

5. Baseball. (of a base runner) to gain (a base) without the help of a walk or batted ball, as by running to it during the delivery of a pitch.

We aren't playing baseball.

6. Games. to gain (a point, advantage, etc.) by strategy, chance, or luck.
7. to gain or seize more than one's share of attention in, as by giving a superior performance: The comedian stole the show.
–verb (used without object) 8. to commit or practice theft.
9. to move, go, or come secretly, quietly, or unobserved: She stole out of the house at midnight.
10. to pass, happen, etc., imperceptibly, gently, or gradually: The years steal by.
11. Baseball. (of a base runner) to advance a base without the help of a walk or batted ball.
–noun 12. Informal. an act of stealing; theft.
13. Informal. the thing stolen; booty.
14. Informal. something acquired at a cost far below its real value; bargain: This dress is a steal at $40.
15. Baseball. the act of advancing a base by stealing.
—Idiom16. steal someone's thunder, to appropriate or use another's idea, plan, words, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: bef. 900; 1860–65 for def. 5; ME stelen, OE stelan; c. G stehlen, ON stela, Goth stilan]

—Related forms
steal·a·ble, adjective
stealer, noun

none of those are even close.

THIS is what I did CHRIZ:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/edit
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
ed·it /ˈɛdɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ed-it] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object) 1. to supervise or direct the preparation of (a newspaper, magazine, book, etc.); serve as editor of; direct the editorial policies of.
2. to collect, prepare, and arrange (materials) for publication.

3. to revise or correct, as a manuscript.

4. to expunge; eliminate (often fol. by out): The author has edited out all references to his own family.
5. to add (usually fol. by in).

6. to prepare (motion-picture film, video or magnetic tape) by deleting, arranging, and splicing, by synchronizing the sound record with the film, etc.

7. Genetics. to alter the arrangement of (genes).

8. Computers. to modify or add to (data or text).

–noun 9. an instance of or the work of editing: automated machinery that allows a rapid edit of incoming news.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1785–95; 1915–20 for def. 6; partly back formation from editor, partly < F éditer < L éditus published (ptp. of édere to give out), equiv. to é- e- + -ditus comb. form of datus given; cf. datum]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
edit.
1. edited.
2. edition.
3. editor.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

I DO NOT TAKE KINDLY TO PEOPLE CALLING ME A THIEF AND SINCE YOU CALLED ME A THIEF PUBLICALLY I AM POSTING THIS PUBLICALLY.

I am not a thief Chriz., and you are WRONG

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

You still had no permission to do so. You said you could not contact him to ask for permission, and as such we will not accept your "revised" version of his model.

I said it is a "form" of stealing, and yes that might have been a bit of a harsh way of putting it I admit.

The reason I closed your thread, removed the attachment etc, is because you were publicly releasing this, first off in the wrong place, and secondly without the original creator's permission.

Just because he did not reply to you, doesn't give you the right to go out modifying and redistributing his model. Even if it is just "fixes."

This is just a policy, and in no way a personal attack on you.

Next time send a personal message, even though you wish to publicly humiliate me.

And furthermore, all capitals will only make you look more immature, and especially giant bold capital text. That does not make me intimidated in the least.

And, I do not take kindly to moderators like you.
Just doing my job.

Level 19
Well, wrong board to post again but okay.
No Offense to all, but somewhere you are right and not.
You where not stealing, u could notice it your message.
He expressed that the original creator keeps its credits, and work.
Btw, since when is that wrong ? If that is wrong, using parts and skins of blizzard would also be a form of STEALING.
Goddamned, and Chris is not a child but is just trying to do its work here.
You are BOTH wrong.
Goddamned !

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I said it is a "form" of stealing, and yes that might have been a bit of a harsh way of putting it I admit.

I have had personal experience with people taking a resource made by myself and a colleague, and the day after it's release, making a brand new version of it, with all of my animations in it.

They gave credits to us, but he didn't have the courtesy to ask permission to edit it.

So, I know the feeling of someone messing with your work without permission, and it is against my principles to let that be released publicly without the original maker's consent.

Level 36
Yes, but could anything thrive without editing? Everything is based off of someone taking something, analyzing it and then using it as inspiration to make something of their own. The WC3 mapping community would not be nearly as far as it is if we could not open others maps to take example from. This is not completely right, because there is always a fine line between right in wrong in this grey area. It's like map protecting. It is the creators choice as to whether they want others to be able to edit it and they have a right to make that choice. Most people who allow others to make edits want them to improve or change their model in ways that they couldn't do for whatever number of various limitations (time, skill, etc). Other creators don't want users modifiying their content because they don't want someone changing something slightly and then slapping their name all over it. Like I said, the creator makes a choice, whether they want people to be able to learn from their creation, or whether they want to protect their content from being stolen. It's their choice. I try to stay neutral here, because you are both right and wrong. Modifiying someone else's work falls under moral/opinion in terms of rules or not, and there is no real standard for what is acceptable and what is not.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Just because something is submitted for use, does not mean it is open for modification. A lot of well known modders specify specifically not to modify the resource without permission.

My opinion on the matter stands, he said he had not been granted permission to modify it, so I will not accept it as a submission to this database

Level 12
I don't see why people are arguing with Chriz. about the rules, he is just doing his job by enforcing the rules of this site. If you have a problem with the rules contact higher people.

Brad.dude things can thrive without editing. It's called making from scratch. You don't see the most experienced modders doing geomerges for their models do you?

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
HEY! What's going on here! :angry:

kevin, you do not make a thread about this issue, especially not when I can see it. Send him a private message instead.

You leave my subordinates alone! Your hear that! That goes for everyone :angry:

If you have anything against the rules or complains concerning my comrades. You contact me!

Chriz. acted correctly.

~Thread Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.