• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Attaching vertices to a bone crashes Mdlvis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey

I've been trying to import the vanilla War3 Sylvanas animations to this WoW model. The results wasn't very nice so I removed every WoW bones on the model and transferred the War3 bones to the model. From there, I started attaching each individual vertices to a bone where it would be on the War3 model.

Starting from foot to head, Mdlvis suddenly crashes when I tried to attach the hips, or any vertices actually, to Bone_Pelvis.

crash.png

Any help or guidance will be much appreciated. Model can be found below. Not sure who the author is . I will provide textures if necessary.

Attachments

• AlleriaTest2.mdx
    408.4 KB · Views: 33
Level 20
I ended up rigging the rest of the bones onto Geoset 1.

What I ended up doing was making a new Pelvis bone and copying the animations onto that. I later had to do the same for the Chest. I think the problem has to do with how Mdlvis treats every Bone that doesn't have anything attached to it as a Helper (which in all honesty is a really bad thing to do; Bones with nothing attached to it only take a miniscule amount of space over a Helper) and it's tripping over itself converting a Helper into a Bone.

Everything that isn't attached to anything else is attached to "Bone_Extra" which is just a free-floating bone that Mdlvis wouldn't have otherwise shown you (typically it won;t show "bone_null" which is where a lot of problems come from).

You probably already know this, but you're going to have to move the bones yourself.

Attachments

• AlleriaTest3.mdx
    408.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Level 50
When you attach some vertices to a certain bone and mdlvis crash all you need to do is make a new bone and and attach that bone to the one that you want to attach the vertices too (example bone_pelvis) and attach the vertices to that new bone (name it bone_newpelvis or something) and it will work.

Many original wc3 models have this kind of problems.

I ended up rigging the rest of the bones onto Geoset 1.

What I ended up doing was making a new Pelvis bone and copying the animations onto that. I later had to do the same for the Chest. I think the problem has to do with how Mdlvis treats every Bone that doesn't have anything attached to it as a Helper (which in all honesty is a really bad thing to do; Bones with nothing attached to it only take a miniscule amount of space over a Helper) and it's tripping over itself converting a Helper into a Bone.

Everything that isn't attached to anything else is attached to "Bone_Extra" which is just a free-floating bone that Mdlvis wouldn't have otherwise shown you (typically it won;t show "bone_null" which is where a lot of problems come from).

You probably already know this, but you're going to have to move the bones yourself.

Hmm, didn't know that. Thanks for your help! I'll move the bones to its correct positions.

When you attach some vertices to a certain bone and mdlvis crash all you need to do is make a new bone and and attach that bone to the one that you want to attach the vertices too (example bone_pelvis) and attach the vertices to that new bone (name it bone_newpelvis or something) and it will work.

Many original wc3 models have this kind of problems.
Interesting. It sounds familiar to Razorclaw's statement too. I guess it's the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.