• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[JASS] Arrow Key Movement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
*EDIT (again)*
Ok, so I'm an idiot. I just made a stupid error, so disregard my post.

So, I currently have an arrow key movement system that, in theory, should work, but does not. Thus, I believe I am making some kind of stupid mistake in the triggering :wink:.

I currently have four triggers to detect the four different arrows being pressed and then to set a boolean var that stores this info:
JASS:
function Trig_mPressLeft_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
    set udg_leftPressed[GetConvertedPlayerId(GetTriggerPlayer())] = true
endfunction

//===========================================================================
function InitTrig_mPressLeft takes nothing returns nothing
    set gg_trg_mPressLeft = CreateTrigger(  )
    call TriggerRegisterPlayerKeyEventBJ( gg_trg_mPressLeft, Player(0), bj_KEYEVENTTYPE_DEPRESS, bj_KEYEVENTKEY_LEFT )
    call TriggerAddAction( gg_trg_mPressLeft, function Trig_mPressLeft_Actions )
endfunction
The others are modeled after this one...

I have four triggers to detect the release of a key and to store the data into teh respective bool var.
JASS:
function Trig_mReleaseLeft_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
    set udg_leftPressed[GetConvertedPlayerId(GetTriggerPlayer())] = false
endfunction

function InitTrig_mReleaseLeft takes nothing returns nothing
    set gg_trg_mReleaseLeft = CreateTrigger(  )
    call TriggerRegisterPlayerKeyEventBJ( gg_trg_mReleaseLeft, Player(0), bj_KEYEVENTTYPE_RELEASE, bj_KEYEVENTKEY_LEFT )
    call TriggerAddAction( gg_trg_mReleaseLeft, function Trig_mReleaseLeft_Actions )
endfunction

Then I have a trigger run every .1 seconds to order a unit (stored in a global var) to move in a direction based on what keys are being held down.
JASS:
function Trig_mMove_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
    local integer i = 0

loop
        exitwhen i > 9

// move right (both down and up should be unpressed)
        if ( udg_rightPressed[i] == true and udg_upPressed[i] == false and udg_downPressed[i] == false ) then
            call IssuePointOrderLoc( udg_plyrHero[i], "move", PolarProjectionBJ(GetUnitLoc(udg_plyrHero[i]), 50.00, 0.00) )
            // move up-right (both right and up should be pressed)
        elseif ( udg_rightPressed[i] == true and udg_upPressed[i] == true ) then
            call IssuePointOrderLoc( udg_plyrHero[i], "move", PolarProjectionBJ(GetUnitLoc(udg_plyrHero[i]), 50.00, Deg2Rad(45.00)) )
        elseif ( udg_upPressed[i] == true and udg_rightPressed[i] == false and udg_leftPressed[i] == false ) then
            call IssuePointOrderLoc( udg_plyrHero[i], "move", PolarProjectionBJ(GetUnitLoc(udg_plyrHero[i]), 50.00, Deg2Rad(90.00)) )
        elseif ( udg_upPressed[i] == true and udg_leftPressed[i] == true ) then
            call IssuePointOrderLoc( udg_plyrHero[i], "move", PolarProjectionBJ(GetUnitLoc(udg_plyrHero[i]), 50.00, Deg2Rad(135.00)) )
        elseif ( udg_leftPressed[i] == true and udg_upPressed[i] == false and udg_downPressed[i] == false ) then
            call IssuePointOrderLoc( udg_plyrHero[i], "move", PolarProjectionBJ(GetUnitLoc(udg_plyrHero[i]), 50.00, Deg2Rad(180.00)) )
        elseif ( udg_leftPressed[i] == true and udg_downPressed[i] == true ) then
            call IssuePointOrderLoc( udg_plyrHero[i], "move", PolarProjectionBJ(GetUnitLoc(udg_plyrHero[i]), 50.00, Deg2Rad(225.00)) )
        elseif ( udg_downPressed[i] == true and udg_rightPressed[i] == false and udg_leftPressed[i] == false ) then
            call IssuePointOrderLoc( udg_plyrHero[i], "move", PolarProjectionBJ(GetUnitLoc(udg_plyrHero[i]), 50.00, Deg2Rad(270.00)) )
        elseif ( udg_downPressed[i] == true and udg_rightPressed[i] == true ) then
            call IssuePointOrderLoc( udg_plyrHero[i], "move", PolarProjectionBJ(GetUnitLoc(udg_plyrHero[i]), 50.00, Deg2Rad(315.00)) )

endif

set i = i + 1
    endloop
endfunction

function InitTrig_mMove takes nothing returns nothing
    set gg_trg_mMove = CreateTrigger(  )
    call DisableTrigger( gg_trg_mMove )
    call TriggerRegisterTimerEventPeriodic( gg_trg_mMove, 0.10 )
    call TriggerAddAction( gg_trg_mMove, function Trig_mMove_Actions )
endfunction

When I load the map, the unit will not move at all, but the camera will move to the unit as per another trigger (thus I figure that the unit is, in fact, stored properly. Any help as to why this may not work would be greatly appreciated.

I have looked for other movement systems, and have found many, but none that will allow the diagonal movement that I desire. So, if you know of one, you could just point me to that, I suppose.

*EDIT*
So, I found out that one of my functions GetConvertedPlayerId() returns 1-12 rather than 0-11... Thus, I was able to fix that problem; however, now that it works, it only does so partially. When I use the arros, none of them seem to respond except for the Left Arrow, and that moves directly to the right... Once again, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Level 2
PolarProjectionBJ takes the angle in degrees and not in radians.

Also try to use coördinates over locations since coördinates are reals and do not leak nor have to be destroyed or removed afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.