• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Arrangement of Spell-Hotkeys

Which hotkey-layout do you prefer?

• The current one, leave it as it is.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • The new suggested QWER-DF layout.

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Hello,

i have no idea how many times this topic was brought up, but the last time i asked my question drowned in the crowd.

What is the reason for the somewhat arbitrary allocation of hotkeys? I only can see disatvantages:
1. after 15 minutes of playing ur fingers are knotted, that hurts
2. for regular players it would be much easier to just have the same hotkeys for all heroes, this way when they start with a new hero they dont have to adapt
3. there are problems with some hotkeys if players use a keyboard layout different from the american one. I for example use a german one and many of the spells hotkeys from Sunken City simply dont work.

My proposal:
Assign hotkeys to the spells in regard to the spells position. Use Q W E for the 3 levelable spells (from left to right) and R for the ultimate. For the other two spells which you have from the beginnung use D (left one) and F (right one).
This pattern is used by lots of maps (especially by RPGs) since it is easy to learn/adapt and the hotkeys are easily accessible.

Like this:
attachment.php

@moderators: i was going to post this in the suggestions thread, however i couldnt open a poll there.

Attachments

• hotkeys.png
    hotkeys.png
    112.5 KB · Views: 593

Vunjo

Hosted Project: SC
Level 14
There's a reason why it's not made in that way. Pressing Alt + Q causes the game to leave (Menu, Quit Mission), so it's quite possible to hit it by accident and suddenly leave from the game. However, most of the maps also share the QWER standard, so maybe this wasn't the best idea we've had, but Spas and I will discuss it.

Level 6
seriously?
Making them WERTDF goes against what you suggest in general, which is using the hotkeys that people are used to.
man, you are destroying the logic, not we are. We are just trying to keep up the logic. And hotkey "T" for the left spell and hotkey "W" for the second spell is just plain inlogical.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
Alright, let me make this clear.

Some people (such as me, I know others too) enable/disable healthbars with the "Alt" button.

Now, the ALT + Q combination quits the mission. I have quit my game like that before when I had Q hotkeys a lot.

Wether you see logic or not in that, I don't know. But instead of QWER | DF, you are getting TWER | DF. I don't see what's the big problem with that. It's convinient.

My opinion will not change. Q hotkey won't make it here. Sorry. :/

Level 3
|M|H|S|A|
|P|D|F|O|
|Z|X|C|V|

OR

|M|H|S|A|
|P|R|T|O|
|D|F|G|B|

These 2 are logical options if you dont want to do altQQ -.-

I couldn't make it explained better xD

Status