• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Armor Penetration Spell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hey Community, I am once again in need of your help.

In my current Project (An AOS) Map, the Armor Items are kind of getting the overhand over the Damage Items. It is actually hard for me to find a good way to balance it just fine.
My guess was, to add Armor Penetration Items (Basically the items ignore like 25% armor of the enemy).
For that I need to create an custom Spell for these, but at the moment i have no clue how to do that to be honest.
My first guess was Faerie Fire, but editing that to a passive did not work at all.
Any guess how I could do something like that?
GUI or Jass would be fine too, I just need something to work on, because I find no start.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

I believe the "Enhanced" damage type pierces armor. So set up a damage detection system and convert 25% of the damage to Enhanced damage.

Level 6
EdgeOfChaos said:
I believe the "Enhanced" damage type pierces armor. So set up a damage detection system and convert 25% of the damage to Enhanced damage.

Could you specify that maybe? I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. Are you talking about the Enhanced armor type?

PublishedShadow said:
I think Orb of Corruption reduces armor and is passive.

Alright. Let me check. The normal Darkness Orb has that Skeleton thing from Sylvanas.
And oh yeah "Adds 5 bonus damage to the attack of a Hero when carried. The Hero's attacks also become ranged when attacking air and reduce the armor (by 5) of enemy units for 5 seconds. Cannot be dispelled."
Yeah you were right. It works atleast for a defined Value. Thanks for that hint. Helped me out a lot.

And also thanks to Daffa the Mage & EdgeOfChaos, but i guess i will go with the Orb of Corruption Spell since it's the easiest thing to do atm.

~Solved~

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
the Armor Items are kind of getting the overhand over the Damage Items
Armor multiplies health when taking attack (or some kinds of trigger) damage. The default is 0.06 or 6% more equivalent health per point of armor.

A unit with 100 health and 100 armor and default constants could take 700 damage from appropriate sources (100 + 600% more).

Spell (and some kinds of trigger) damage ignores armor reduction. All that is needed to kill a unit with 100 health is an ability that does 100 damage (to that armor type) and it does not matter if the unit has 0 armor or 1,000 armor.

Armor multiplied by health is the attack damage toughness of a unit. The actual damage of a unit is attack multiplied by attack rate. This means that both cancel each other out quite well as long as attack rate is being raised. The limit (and hence point of balance) is at +400% attack speed since units cannot attack faster than that due to a hardcoded limit of WC3. When units reach +400% attack speed they need to also reach their maximum armor amount, otherwise they will become tougher faster than their damage raises. For example assuming 0.06 armor multiplier then an end game armor of 66 or 67 would be appropriate for units reaching +400% attack speed. In these circumstances attack damage can scale linearly with health and units will survive the same length of combat between each other.

If attack speed capping is a problem you can increase the attack damage scaling. For example if under default 0.06 constant you give 100 armor max, you can make the weapon damage scale 40% extra at that point of progress and the units will still kill themselves in approximately the same time.

Ability damage has to scale linearly with health or they will become harder (or easier) to kill with abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.