• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Arena Duel Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'm trying to set up a dueling trigger for my arena map where at say 15-30 minutes intervals there will be a duel with all the current heroes on each team that are on map get sent to a region and after there is one team left will then move the units back to their respective spawn zones. Doesn't need to be previous location I would prefer spawn zones. I can also link a current download of the map with open edit if anyone thinks they'd be able to better handle it in game themselves. Can credit you heavily as a co creator if able to assist because this is the last major thing I would like to implement. I need to set up unit groups and then set up triggers for the unit groups or something I'm not to sure how it works

What I was trying to do that I found in a forum;
  • set.gif
    Set HeroesTeam1 = (Units in (Playable map area) matching ((((Matching unit) is A Hero) Equal to True) and (((Matching unit) belongs to an ally of Player 1 (Red)) Equal to True)))
  • set.gif
    Set HeroesTeam2 = (Units in (Playable map area) matching ((((Matching unit) is A Hero) Equal to True) and (((Matching unit) belongs to an ally of Player 2 (Blue)) Equal to True))
  • unit.gif
    Unit - Move (Random unit from (HeroesTeam1)) instantly to (Center of (Playable map area))
  • unit.gif
    Unit - Move (Random unit from (HeroesTeam2)) instantly to (Center of (Playable map area))
I set that up but nothing was moved I set up regions as well and had an event set to every certain amount of game time it would happen Events- Time Every 30 seconds of game time. was just a test time kept it short to test waited and was never sent I'd also prefer if it sent either the whole team or two people at once Im okay with whichever but I have no background in setting up either or really getting that in depth in triggers. So any help would be appreciated or direct editing that can be done in editor will get credited!

Level 3
At this point I expect you to be some know it all elitist dick @A]mun
I don't do this 24/7 like you do apparently, also you posting a shallow response and you expect me not to say something? like whos really trolling the person seeking help or the guy who drops a one liner with a download. Like yeah even if i open it then what? Like please take your information elsewhere you clearly are toxic. AND you act as if its all so 'simple' if whatever you are trying to get across was as simple as you are making it seem you wouldn't be explaining with a one line that doesn't directly have anything to do with your post. (you also 'explained' nothing and gave zero information for all i know you could be some troll posting a corrupted file or a dated one) If you understand something you should be able to explain it to anyone in a simple manor otherwise you don't know what you're talking about either.

Level 21
In the long years on the Hive, i have never witnessed someone go off like you about something as simple as an inquiry like this...

1 If you don't know what a .w3x file is, then what the hell are you doing modifying warcraft 3 maps?
2 It is on you to ask questions about things you do not understand.
I went out of my way to share a testing map with you that works in the ways you would want it to, how is that toxic?

With some patience and investigation of the triggers it will dawn on you in minutes and if not feel free to ask specific questions.

Level 3
I know what a w3x file is, and how you went about it was just like here's this and then you assume I'm trolling for not knowing how to go about your half sentence and a download like I don't know what it is when I open it, some triggers that do what for me in terms of my map If I dont know what they are really doing in the first place or how to substitute my things in properly.

Level 39
Let's take a step back here and analyze the actual content of the messages you're both responding to.
I hope this will help you out
This message is nothing but helpful to you, Cushq... and A]mun is not being elitist. The first step to verifying if they were providing actual help or just being snide was to open the map to look at the triggers; there are 3 of them and they all have names that describe what they do. The second step was reading through the triggers and attempting (note: not necessarily succeeding) to understand what they're doing and how they work. GUI lines pretty much do exactly what they say they do, word-for-word, so it's not like you have to guess the purpose of the line. Step three was copying the triggers into your map or remaking them yourself.

So the question becomes, did you progress past step 0 into step 1 by opening the map file (or acknowledging that you were unable to for some reason)?
Not in the slightest
Nope, apparently you did not.
and then you assume I'm trolling
A]mun made a snarky remark about you maybe being a troll because you apparently didn't even attempt to look at the map they provided for you.
I went out of my way to share a testing map with you
This is actually correct. Most people do not/can not/will not post a map for you; they'll just post [trigger] tags that you have to convert into triggers in your own map. It's actually much faster for me just to type the code in a reply than it is to open the WE, make a map, test it, and upload it so I rarely do. For clarity, here are the triggers in the map:

• init
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Visibility - Create an initially Enabled visibility modifier for Player 1 (Red) emitting Visibility across (Playable map area)
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: type -test to enter...
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: Press Esc to reset
  • into the arena
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -test as An exact match
      • Time - Every (Random real number between 900.00 and 1800.00) seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Remove all units from AllianceGroup
      • Unit Group - Remove all units from ScourgeGroup
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Entire map)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • ((Picked unit) is A Hero) Equal to True
              • ((Picked unit) is alive) Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • ((Picked unit) belongs to an ally of Player 1 (Red)) Equal to True
                • Then - Actions
                  • Unit Group - Add (Picked unit) to AllianceGroup
                • Else - Actions
                    • If - Conditions
                      • ((Picked unit) belongs to an enemy of Player 1 (Red)) Equal to True
                    • Then - Actions
                      • Unit Group - Add (Picked unit) to ScourgeGroup
                    • Else - Actions
            • Else - Actions
      • Unit - Move (Random unit from ScourgeGroup) instantly to (Center of LocArena <gen>)
      • Unit - Move (Random unit from AllianceGroup) instantly to (Center of LocArena <gen>)
  • undo
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) skips a cinematic sequence
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in LocArena <gen>) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • ((Picked unit) is in AllianceGroup) Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Move (Picked unit) instantly to (Center of Loc1 <gen>)
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • ((Picked unit) is in ScourgeGroup) Equal to True
                • Then - Actions
                  • Unit - Move (Picked unit) instantly to (Center of Loc2 <gen>)
                • Else - Actions
2 It is on you to ask questions about things you do not understand.
This is the most important nugget of wisdom in this whole thread. Internalize it and keep asking questions. It's totally fine to flood this forum with posts asking questions (hint: that's what a help forum is for), so ask away any time something is unclear. But don't get mad at someone for throwing you a bone and actually putting triggers into a map for you.

Level 3
So one you're wrong I did open it. So everything you typed was pointless congrats. heres your nugget of wisdom. You are as toxic as him for posting in this not actually providing support but randomly backing up some random person on the internet "I went out of my way to share a testing map with you" out of his way the dude is on here 24/7 I see him in posts constantly so he didn't waste anytime he already wasn't wasting. and nice you can post things I could obviously see, but ya keep your clarity good stuff, not really though cause I didn't use any information on this string for help so kudos you two geniuses together make a whole person.

Level 3
@IcemanBo You'd be better off just searching for arena triggers this is a useless post at this point. But good luck to ya.

Level 7
Instead of arguing back and forth, why don't you just tell us which part you didn't understand ? I'll try to break it down for you. Basically what map does is:

• Picks all the units in the entire map
  • Adds them to another unit groups such as Scourge, Alliance ( Team 1, Team 2 in your case)
This map will only work for 2 players that are enemy. If you want to move all heroes in team 1/2, you have to pick all units in their respected unit groups which is Alliance/Scourge in this case. This map requires basic GUI knowledge about unit groups, and if you don't understand the unit groups, I suggest you to check out this tutorial:
General - GUI Crash Course - A Basic GUI Tutorial

SO basically, you need to enumerate all units in the entire area, and add them to their team groups, then you pick all units inside that team group.
I hope you "gained" something, cause you are given something that you can implement to your map but you refuse to ask questions about how it works.

I would suggest that when heroes for your arena are picked (or loaded during map initialization) add them to a unit group. If there are two teams you could use two groups respectively. Enumerate through the groups when it is time to duel and move the units according to where you want them to go.

In your case, being new to the editor, you should use a periodic trigger to accomplish this. You can also use regions to mark where you want the arena teams to be moved to. Also when using locations and unit groups be sure not to leak them (causes lag in the long term). Things that leak.

Side note:
Flaming people who create map examples specifically for you is extremely counter productive.

Level 3
Outside help was long seeked and this thread was long unfollowed and not being read least by me, its in everyones best interest to direct help to other threads being followed to help people still stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.