• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Arboreous Hills

It's a Twisted Meadows like meelee map for 8 players.
I hope you enjoy
Kallimachos

update: it shouldnt be shown as a custom map now
update2: mistakes in map text deleted
update3: starting possition creeps now attack enemies at a distance of 500 instead of 200
Contents

Arboreous Hills (Map)

Reviews
Earth-Fury: not bad from a balance perspective. some of the creep camps are too strong, and a few too many gold mines. From a terraining perspective, not so good at all. But not horrid, by any means. approved. 16:38, 15th May 2009, by Rui: An...

M

Earth-Fury: not bad from a balance perspective. some of the creep camps are too strong, and a few too many gold mines. From a terraining perspective, not so good at all. But not horrid, by any means. approved.

16:38, 15th May 2009, by Rui:
An overall decent, yet somewhat boring melee map. Drops need fixing, neutral buildings could have better placement... check comments #2, #3 and #4 for more details.
Set to Reviewed status with a 2/5 (Lacking).
EDIT: Added the map to the Medieval/Warcraft category.

Level 17
Aboreous Hills is an 8 player melee map made by Kallimachos.

The terrain was fine, with lots of tile, doodad, and height variation.

The green creep camp item drops were a problem. While it should have dropped the items with the classification of permanent, you instead made it drop miscellaneous. I particularly liked the way you had the red dragon roosts in the four corners. I can see players using zeppelins to purchase four dragons and easily overpower their enemies, which could be quite a problem.

Rating:
2.5 and recommended for approval.

My Recommendations:

Fix the green creep camp item drops.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Rui's review on "Arboreous Hills" (melee map by Kallimachos)

An overall decent map, but needs its drops fixed.

The terrain had average elevation and ground textures variation, but neither were too good. The structure of the terrain did not please me either.
The elevation was really... strange, on the interval of starting locations and water. It did not look good.
As for the ground textures, their variation was weird. Grass should go near the trees, while the open fields should have dirt.
I found trees to be very displeasing to the eye when going for Goblin Merchants, it was very narrow.

The drops were not bad, except for the green and red camps. Green camps used an item from the miscellaneous group, and the red creeps were not strong enough to justify an artifact.

As for the neutral buildings, they have problems too. I think it would have been much more logical to place Goblin Merchants in the center, and lightly guarded Mercenary Camps to the peripheries. The reason is simple: they become useless late-game.

Overall good distribution of resources.

My rating for this map is 2/5 (Lacking), and my vote goes for the map's approval.

Last edited:
Level 18
bounty hunter2's Review on (8)Arboreous Hills

Arboreous Hills, as told in the title is an eight player melee map.

The terrain wasn't neither good, neither bad. As a bad point, I point out the usage of blizzard cliffs on shores. Use the height tool there. Very few envirnoment dodoads aswell, and not that good ground tile variation.

What I didn't like were the neutral buildings placed on shallow water, it just looked weird. And as Rui mentioned, the merchants for buying units should come first, not last, or in your case the middle.

The drops were decent, aswell as the creep choice. Although I dislike that from a group of five units only one unit drops. You should make two units each drop one item, rather then one unit drop two items.

The map is symmetrical thus balanced, so I can't really say much about that. Overall, nothing to original, nothing to great, but still a worthy map, 3/5 and vote for Approval. On a /10 scale it would be 6/10, but since we use the /5 it is a 3, since I can't really give you such a grade as 2 for this.

Level 12
oh understand^^ - dear didnt check this for a long time was one of my first meelee maps
But ive got to say that the placement of the shops is like in twisted meadows from blizzard, cuz i wanted to create a TM for 8 players as told in description,
where goblin merchants are at the periheries and mercenaries in the center.

well ill go over it when ive got time (quite busy these days)