• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

AoS, Age of Season, is it possible?

can warcraft's system handle it? if our pc can..

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Just curious and wanted to share and talk to all those WORLD EDIT Experts about wether if this idea of mine is possible for WARCRAFT SYSTEM TO HANDLE IT when created, inspired from warlock, werewolf translyvania, the chosen ones, infinity, tree tag and dota.

so.. is it possible to make an Aos-Style map that would not result in fatal error/beyond-laglike/spikes:
-an aos style map with 4 season cycle (summer, autumn, spring, winter)
-heroes' avatar and all 4 (or more) skills will change into a complete new one according to the specific season
-all doodads and terrains would change completely according to the seasons
-all neutral creep spawn would change completely according to the seasons
-almost 40% of the items would behave differently from cycle of day/night/seasons.
-that each season cycle is around 6 min (changing the whole thing repeatedly would really... effect badly maybe..)
-however, team base's structure and design would not changed.

I've realized most of the things mentioned above would occupy 4 times a normal map's size, like a hero for example, if i made 10 hero available from the start for player to pick and play, i would make another 30 of them to make up for 40 where each of them have their specific ability in specific season.

trivia: some would be very unbalanced in some season to shine the most, some would be very under-powered in some season and is required to hide and survive the whole period (giving a thrill for each player of their ever-changing role without having them to get to become an infernal or an ent, or villager, or a werewolf through random pick)

Level 17
No reason why warcraft or "our pcs" shouldn't be able to handle it. Though I would reduce the seasons to three (summer, autumn and winter).
Aesthetically summer and spring are very similar and having so many skills would only be a mess (even 3 sets of 4 skills is way too much IMO).

I'd probably stick to 4 skills and only change their effect slightly to add more depth, 16 completely different skills would be an absolute nightmare to balance and would appear to me as if it was adding skills for the sake of adding skills not to enhance the gameplay.

Also I reeally wouldn't make heroes stronger/weaker according to the season. It would make things awkwardly situational and hence useless half of the time (like the absurd idea of some things only working during the night).

Level 6
Something only working in the night is not at all absurd. It is very situational and can be a great asset to a game. (Like say, a torch that lights at night so you can navigate through the darkness, or a solar panel that only works during daylight hours)

As for the map, It's very possible and with the right tools something you could easily put together yourself. In theory you could have 1 map that changes doodads and terrain like in Werewolf - Transylvania. I would be happy to share with you the triggers I use for this effect and all the little tricks involved. Alternatively you could have 4 maps and you move units but that seems like a bother to get perfect. I actually have a test map for a mod I was working on that contains all 4 seasons, I'd be happy to show it to you.

Level 3
i wouldn't suggest 4 different types of music to my friend though since music files occupies a d@mn lot of space

Last edited:
Level 3
why yes, it is called AoS(Age of Season) which is an AoS game, no pun intended but with convenient pronouncing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.