1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Trigger] AOE Pause

Discussion in 'Triggers & Scripts' started by wereguy2, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Lord_BoNes

Lord_BoNes

Resources:
    Resources:
    Upon casting, create your dummy as you have... Add the caster to a group (along with the dummy), every so often (0.1 seconds, etc.) scan through this group, recasting the stun. Upon the caster stopping channelling, remove him from the group, remove dummy from the group and from the world.

The "UNIT_STOPS_CASTING" trigger part should work. Put in a temporary "text to all players" message in there to make sure.

Hope this has proven enlightening... :thumbs_up:

2. doom_sheep

doom_sheep

Resources:
    Resources:
    thats not MUI is it? :X

3. Lord_BoNes

Lord_BoNes

Resources:
    Resources:
    It is MUI if you add every single caster and dummy to the group(s). My way would pick up ANY caster. :thumbs_up:

4. wereguy2

wereguy2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    YO_MA_MA's idea didnt work as no unit actually triggers it, its a periodical event... I think somehow altering this may make it work, but I suck with triggers..... I think changing triggering unit to any unit (Unit Group?) may work...
    Lord_BoNes, could you post some actual triggers up, because, as I said, I suck at them...

+rep to both of you

5. bountygiver

bountygiver

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Indeed there is a way to create your intended "pausing" effect instead of stunning using GUI.

Create a unit group for storing the paused units. Upon casting of the ability (Event: A unit begins casting an ability), pick all enemies in the target area and "Pause unit","Set Unit Animation Speed to 0" and "Add unit into Unit Group".

Then, create a periodic trigger which picks all units in the casting area which are NOT in the unit group and do the same. Also, in the same trigger, pick all DEAD units in the unit group and "Unpause Unit", "Set Unit Animation Speed to 100%" and "Remove unit from unit group".

When the caster stops casting the ability, pick all units in the unit group and "Unpause Unit", "Set Unit Animation Speed to 100%" and "Remove unit from unit group".

EDIT: Don't forget to disable your periodic trigger. :)

PS: I'm not using "stomp" here as multiple stomps every 0.1 seconds will definitely result in some performance issues.

6. Lord_BoNes

Lord_BoNes

Resources:
    Resources:
    As at current my Wc3 is having issues, I'm unable to create a properly working trigger. However, bountygiver appears to be working on my idea though...

7. YO_MA_MA

YO_MA_MA

Resources:
    Resources:
    woops, yeah in my head i picked all units on playable field matching unit has buff.. then used picked unit pause/unpause lol.... and maybe keep it disabled until it's cast the first time then have another trigger turn it on, then it wont be running if that hero isnt picked and never use that skill etc.

EDIT: im at school atm, when i get home and if i remember ill write up what i was actually thinking, you have the idea though. good luck

8. wereguy2

wereguy2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    tsk tsk, going on website you shouldn't be on eh? Lol, oh well, I do it too :p
    Ok, thanks, write it up when you can, though I probably wont be on again until tomorrow

Thanks!

9. bountygiver

bountygiver

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, I just noticed something while attempting to create your spell using GUI entirely. Paused units CANNOT be damaged by Blizzard, Rain of Fire, Permanent Immolation or similar duration damage spells. I'm afraid that your spell is more complicated than imagined and I may have to use JASS to create it.

10. wereguy2

wereguy2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No, the units do not need to be damaged, im just using blizzard as a base channeled aoe spell

11. Lord_BoNes

Lord_BoNes

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Wereguy: I've just got my Wc3 working again (after over a month offline, had to d/l both discs as my images went bung).
    Give me the stats of your ability, including gains/loses at level up. IE: AoE, damage (if any), stun duration after finished channeling, mana cost, number of levels, etc. I'll work on a trigger for you, it'll be in JASS though (I have a hatred of GUI that I can't describe). :thumbs_up:

12. doom_sheep

doom_sheep

Resources:
    Resources:
    why do u need to pause the units?

just stunning and stopping animation should work fine

13. wereguy2

wereguy2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The point is that I dont know how to....
    bountygiver may have a solution though

14. bountygiver

bountygiver

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Stun durations are not variable and cannot be dispelled, even by the means of triggers. If we want to use stun effects to generate an illusion of "paused units" it will take A LOT of war stomps to achieve that, and they have to be timed, like, once every 0.1 seconds, which may result in disastrous performance issues.

Anyway, sine Bones has started on the actual script, I think it's better to wait and let him do his job :).

15. wereguy2

wereguy2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    oh ok, though I would prefer GUI, heres the specs
    350 AOE
    10s Channel with a stun/pause running, NO stun after channeling is finished
    No mana cost
    1 level (its a normal ability, not hero)

That should be it...

16. Lord_BoNes

Lord_BoNes

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've been playing around with the idea. I can understand fully now why this is a difficult thing to do...
    I've had a little luck, but no major breakthroughs. :thumbs_down:

I've found that "cluster rockets" can be used in quick refreshes, to continually stun units.
    But, there is an issue, if the duration of "cluster rockets" is 1 second then every second the units under the effect will briefly unstun. :confused:

I have a few things that I need to do, but I'll keep digging at it. I'm sure that I'll find a way to do it. :thumbs_up:

17. wereguy2

wereguy2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow, this is proving pretty difficult eh?

18. Lord_BoNes

Lord_BoNes

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic with that, or what... :confused:
    There's probably something simple that I'm missing here... :hohum:

I'm also pretty distracted. I just got my Wc3 working again, I just got my copy of Redalert 3 AND I have other sh*t I need to do... :thumbs_down:

I have been chipping away at it though. I'll probably have an answer by tomorrow, late-morning early arvo. Sorry if this isn't quick enough...

I'll try to keep you guys informed of my findings until then, so you can try out your own ways of doing it, but that's about all I can do. :thumbs_up:

19. doom_sheep

doom_sheep

Resources:
    Resources:
    wtf u cant remove stun buff? o_O

20. Lord_BoNes

Lord_BoNes

Resources:
    Resources:
    BTW: bountygiver, it's BoNes not Bones... LOL :grin:

Anyways, I still haven't gotten far, does anybody here have any ideas for me? I'll try to implement them into my ability. :thumbs_up: