• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

AOE Entangle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
This may be blatantly obvious but I cannot seem to figure out a way to trigger this. This is the ability I would like to create. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Chain of Hephaestus
Immobilizes all enemy units within an AOE of 600 around Hephaestus for 6/7/8 seconds and deals no damage.
This is not a channelling spell and does no damage.
I am still unsure of the model file I want, if I could have help with just the triggering part of it, I could take it from there. Thanks

Level 11
You need a dummy with entangle ability. Make the entangle ability yourself and make it UNIT ability but with three levels (yes, you are allowed). At each level set the stats you want for the entagling roots. Then give this ability to a dummy unit. TO see how you can make a dummy unit please check the FAQ.

You should base your ability (the one the hero possesses) off Howl of Terror or any other such AoE spells. Preferably Howl of Terror since it doesn't have terrain deformation like Thunder Clap. Set its duration to 0.01 and change whatever you want however you want. Keep in mind that the buffs of the Entagling Roots spell will appear so change those... Now let's go to the trigger..

Event - An Unit Starts The Effect of An Ability
Conditions - Ability Being Cast Equal to YourAbility
Actions - Pick Up Every Unit Within 600 of (Casting Unit) Matching ((Matching Unit) is an enemy of (Owner of (Casting Unit)) equal to True) and do Actions
-> Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Owner of (Casting Unit)) at Position of (Picked Unit) facing 0.00
-> Add 1 seconds Expiration Timer to (Last Created Unit)
-> Order (Last Created Unit) to Night Elf - Keeper of the Grove - Entagling Roots (Picked Unit)

That's all. Note that all the actions with "->" in front of them are inside the "Pick Up Every Unit". The spell is completely multiinstanceabile since it doesn't use any global variables. ;)

~Daelin

Level 1
Ok. Maybe I am just retarded but my version of this is not working. I changed the model to Spirit Link becasue thats the model I want, not the entangle. Now for me to have this last the selected duration, would I have to make entangle the base ability? I am really confused. What happens in my map is that the casting animation plays, as does the spirit link, and for some reason, the impale animation plays as well. I am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

Level 11
Bad_Hex... Your post was useless and I deleted it.

Spartan... Umm, base your ability off Howl of Terror. Change its duration to 0.01, mana cost and cooldown of the spell you want. Now, make another entangling roots but this time make this entagling roots an unit ability and of course, with how many levels your Silence ability has. Give the Silence ability to the caster and the Entangle ability to the dummy. Then do the triggers I told you.

For more info I'd try the FAQ. The Howl of Terror is a dummy ability while the entagling roots is an ability you give to a dummy unit. After you've done it here is the complete trigger for multiple levels:

Event - An Unit Starts The Effect of An Ability
Conditions - Ability Being Cast Equal to YourAbility
Actions - Pick Up Every Unit Within 600 of (Casting Unit) Matching ((Matching Unit) is an enemy of (Owner of (Casting Unit)) equal to True) and do Actions
-> Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Owner of (Casting Unit)) at Position of (Picked Unit) facing 0.00
-> Add 1 seconds Expiration Timer to (Last Created Unit)
-> Set Level of (Your Entagling Roots) for (Last Created Unit) to (Level of YourHowlOfTerror of (Casting Unit))
-> Order (Last Created Unit) to Night Elf - Keeper of the Grove - Entagling Roots (Picked Unit)

Level 2
I have an alternate method of doing this without using any triggers. Use a thunderclap ability with 600 aoe and duration 6/7/8 or whatever you want. Change the movement speed reduction to 100%. Finally, go in the Gameplay Constants and change the field: [Movement - Unit minimum movement speed] to 0. This will allow units to be immobilized by having their movement speed reduced by 100%

Level 11
Umm... you are completely wrong there. Actually setting the movement speed to 0 won't solve the problem or simply setting the reduction to 100% won't make the units completely unmovable. You didn't really try this, did you?

And Thunder Clap buff doesn't dispel which is eronate, compared to Entagling Roots.

And Jacek, what unit are you referring to? You first mentioned a spell (Cripple).

~Daelin

Level 2
Hi Daelin,

I'm very new to these triggers, infact, the information you gave in this topic to create an AOE entagle is the very first I tried.
Very neat stuff.

Heres the little problem I have, did everything you've mentioned, where the dummy entangle spell has been added 3 levels and it is a unit ability with no mana or cool down required.
First level lasts 2sec, level 2 lasts 5, then 8secs.

Now when I tested it, the very first level worked fine, but when I leveled up and cast the spell again, it still casts the spell, but with level 1 stats, same goes for level 3.

Does this means I have to create two more triggers to cast level 2 and 3?

Thanks,

Level 11
Are you sure that you gave the dummy unit the Entagling Roots, that the Entagling ROots has 3 levels, and moreover, that you use the action
"Set Level of (Your Entagling Roots) for (Last Created Unit) to (Level of YourHowlOfTerror of (Casting Unit))" after the unit was created? Moreover, check the stats of the Entagling Roots again and assure that the duration is correct.

REMEMBER, the entagling roots spell must be ONE and ONLY ONE (just like hero spells) but must be an unit ability. Yes, unit abilities can have levels as well... thanks to blizzard's enchancements.

~Daelin

Level 2
Yes Daelin, I have used my method before and actually PREFER it as opposed to using entagling roots/ensnare for the reason that casting ensnare or roots on a unit will interrupt a spell they are casting or channeling. As long as the gameplay constants field I mentioned is set to 0, then the unit will be COMPLETELY immobilized. I suggest you try it before criticizing, or if you are too lazy simply download this spell.

Level 11
*Coughs hard

If there is ONE thing I hate, that is impertinence. I will pass over this one... And how dare you call me lazy since you just added the map? One more person added on the black list. You can't fool me... My new resources indicate a new spell, and guess what, YOUR SPELL is there as well. I don't think you want me as your enemy DisposableHero.

About the movement stuff, yes... I agree (as you can see in public... I didn't PM so you don't have anything else to say) that I'm wrong into this fact. But still, you can't fool me around. And btw, Undergrowth is still not dispellable so its erronate to consider it a correct Entagling Roots.

So, next time read the rules before submitting the spells. Let me quote:

• Spells where only the art, icon, several fields in the object editor and/or name has been changed

And no, I'm not being a bad mod. I even made a News Announcement to read the rules before submitting a spell. And this time I am quoting myself:
Daelin said:
The rules of the Spell Section have been updated. I'd suggest you all read them before submitting maps or posting.

I will discuss this problem with Vexorian and if he finds the map breaking the rules, you will receive a warning. I understand that you wanted to prove me that I was wrong and partially you kinda succeeded. But that still doesn't allow you to break the submitting rules. You could've emailed me the map if you were so eager to show me something which, is against the rules. End of story!

~Daelin

Level 2
First of all, I did not call you lazy. I am not here to make enemies, but from what I see I cannot say the same for you, responding to a post that you evidently had no knowledge about (or had never attempted) as follows:

Umm... you are completely wrong there. Actually setting the movement speed to 0 won't solve the problem or simply setting the reduction to 100% won't make the units completely unmovable. You didn't really try this, did you?

As for not being able to be dispelled, that is a trivial issue and can be easily fixed by adding several triggers and any AOE slow spell.

As for me posting the map in public, it was meant to be, and is, a tool that YOU and everyone else here can learn from. I thought that this was the intent of this forum? If you want to remove the map because of an obvious bias against me and deny everyone else the opportunity to learn from it, then go for it. I am simply here to teach people new ways to do things.

Level 11
In your previous post, you clearly mentioned the word LAZY. Don't you play with me this way... And indeed, this is no entagling roots. Like Drain Pipe mentioned, they actually attack and don't deal damage. So practically that's not even Entagling Roots at all.

And, you started now to mention triggers? Isn't that the method I mentioned? And yes, the movement speed stuff is a new useful stuff and for that, I will add it to the FAQ (many people didn't know how to decrease the movement speed to 0.00... :roll:). But your spell STILL breaks the rules and still your lying attitude is not appropriate. And I have no "bias" against you. The spell breaks the rules and you KNOW IT (unless you didn't read the rules which is again, an unfortunate case). End of discussion, thread closed!

~Daelin

Status
Not open for further replies.