• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

AoE Entangling roots acting weird...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi,
I'm making an Area of effect Entangling Roots skillby using dummy casters, and i'm having some troubles with the area where the roots are casted

• Intralcia
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit starts casting an ability
    • Condizioni
      • (Ability being cast) Equals to Root
    • Actions
      • Group of Units - Pick every unit in (Units within (150.00 + (100.00 x (Real((Level of (Ability being cast) for (Casting unit)))))) of (Target point of ability being cast)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Create 1 Mr Dummy Rooter for Triggering Player at (Target point of ability being cast) facing buildings default facing degrees
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Night Elves - Keeper of the Groove - Entangling Roots (Picked unit)
          • Unit - Add a 3.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
I'm using Silence for the AoE, and while the area is set to lvl 1: 200 lvl2: 300 lvl3: 400 i have to put in the formula 150 instead of 100 because otherwise it won't get all units at the edges (though this way sometimes it gets more units than the targeted ones), the other problem is that sometimes (it seems to happen randomly, without a particular reason, altough i think i seen it happening more often when i just leveled up the skill) it doesn't get all the enemies but only some (no matter the distance) :razz:
Any idea?

Level 23
The reason why it sometimes gets other units, are that you are creating a dummy unit for every unit in the range, even your own, and even dead units.
I also suppose that the entangling root skill your using has basic range (800) and not the ability to root mechanical and air units.

Therefor you get too many dummy units. Since they cant cast on all enemy units within the range, it could lead to that its cast upon another unit outside.

Ripoff said:
One of my first spells I made, no triggers needed

I based it on warstomp, and added the buff entangling roots.
Works perfect!

Maybe, but war stomp doesnt act like entangling roots, dealing damage of x seconds

Level 7
actually i've said why it's being casts on units slightly outside the range of the ability (i set the range in the trigger 50 more than the ability's range), also dummy casters are flying units and the test zone i made in the map contains only abominations, and they won't cast it by themselves if i don't tell to.
Altough what you said made me think about the fact it may happen there isn't enough room to summon dummies, and even if it couldn't be possible since they have no collision, i've just tried to make them be summoned in the same position of picked unit and it seems to work now...misteries of computers...

With warstomp it will be centered to my caster, i want it to be casted wherever i want, otherwise it could've been a good idea :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.