1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

anybody know of a good emulator for gamecube

Discussion in 'Computer Tech' started by andreasaspenberg, Dec 4, 2015.

1. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    The N64 had a 64 bit registry, all programs on the N64 operate in a 64 bit space. There is no 16 bit program for the N64. There can be 16 bit variables and operations, but that is entirely separate from a 16 bit addressing mode.

2. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    metroid prime 2 was not made by nintendo but by retro studios. the fact remains however that only 32 bit versions of dolphin handles metroid prime 2 well.(i have tried multiple 64 bit versions and every time i have the same problem.)

3. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Ever since the Nintendo 64, Nintendo has used 64bit for its game consoles. There is no reason to use anything else since they all supported it in some way and it makes little difference to development anyway.

Except that is as good as being made by Nintendo seeing how close Nintendo works with their first parties.

The fact remains that the 64bit version is functionally identical or better (thanks to more development) than the 32bit version.

You have not actually mentioned any problems at all. You said purely it was running slow which points towards the game being hard to emulate (as it stated in the wiki) and your computer being slow.

As already mentioned, they aim for compatibility first and speed second. A game is marked as working if you can play from start to end without any bugs. The game might only play at 10 fps, or lower depending on system but it still works if it can be finished to the same extent as on the real hardware (no missing features).

If you want to experience the game at full frame rate with matching sound quality you will need to buy a Wii U, Wii or GameCube and its disc. If you want to play the game from start to end then the emulator will suffice.

Not our problem, just like the emulator. Please post on their forums about any problems. If you keep failing to do so we will assume you are trolling which violates the site rules. I expect a link to your post on their forum in your next response.

4. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    the game runs faster and better on the 32 bit version of dolphin as it is. i am not trolling. what i am telling you is the truth. i have tested version after version of the 64 bit builds and they all fail to run the game without sound problems(also runs slowly) while the 32 bit version runs the game faster and more accurately. i believe that it is against site rules to threaten people which you just did. i will test the next stable release to see if that have any problems but in the mean time please suggest something good. if i posted on the forum of the developers i would just get attacked. it would be helpful however if you could find an email address to the developers.(email is much more effective than posts anyway.)

5. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Proof of the game running at full speed on a 64bit system. Further more this is on an intel system with AMD graphic card, something you said would perform badly earlier.

You can get 4.0 revision 4488 from here. The direct download like is here. This revision was only released for x86-64 (AMD64) as it was released after x86 support was dropped.

This is not our problem. Please stop repeating yourself and either do the right thing and post on their forums about your problems or stop posting in this thread and accept playing it however you currently can. This is a Warcraft III support site, not a Dolphin support site. I doubt any of the developers even frequent here.

6. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    i checked that video and it features an early part of the game. i did not have any problems until i got to the sanctuary fortress. that is when it started slowing. an amd graphics card might help make the emulator run better but i will not get that.

7. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Then it is as I said, it just does not emulate well. They must have traded emulation speed for accuracy in some feature the game used heavily resulting in lower performance with recent versions (nothing to do with 32 to 64bit migration). As such the low real time frame rate is the best you can achieve in that game and you will just have to accept that.

You could always get a real GameCube/Wii/Wii U and run it on that. Nothing beats native play in the end.

8. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    i have a real gamecube and a real version of the game. the reason i am emulating it is so that i can cheat. i have the wii version as well. i get higher speed in the 32 bit version of dolphin than in the 64 bit version though and that is a fact.

9. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    It is not a fact because there are no 32 bit versions made recently so you cannot make such a comparison (the 64 bit build at the time of the 32 bit build might have been poorly optimized). If you use an old version then you might get higher performance as a result of bad emulation. For a third time I repeat that the emulation team focus on accuracy first and foremost with optimization and speed being only a second consideration. This is the case of most emulators that are not aimed at a hand full of games for pirating reasons (some of the early emulators were).

10. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    every version made after the last 32 bit build is listed as development builds with no "stable builds" since that. i am telling you time and time again that many versions have been tested and none of them runs metroid prime 2 as well as the last 32 bit build. please try to listen this time. if you do not i will just assume that you are a troll and ignore further posts from you.

11. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Not our problem. They messed up their release cycle however since they are approaching a release their versions are pretty stable now. I had no issues playing through the entirety of Xenoblade Chronicals on a "unstable" nightly build.

Probably because it emulated the game badly. According to the wiki any 32bit version was incompatible with the game, having major faults (not green compatibility). You will not want to use that since it will not be like playing the real thing. Running slower but correctly is always better with emulators than faster but wrong. This has likely been fixed in the current nightly builds which is why it is slower (well worth it for more accurate emulation).

Hence the solution is to either play it slowly but correctly, or not at all if you cannot accept that.

Have a complaint? Then make it on their forum. For the last time this is not the Dolphin support forum.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  12. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    the emulators i have used that have worked well have run the game accurately.(had to configure it to get accurate emulation though.) the only times it slowed was on the map and the first few minutes i ran it. the only issue was controller emulation but that is even worse in the 64 bit versions. all attempts to configure the 64 bit version to optimise it have failed. i know that this is not the dolphin forum but here i am a member so, it is easier to post here. i have now downloaded the exact version used in the video and that works well.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015