• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Anti caster unique abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Just want some folks ideas and share some ideas on a potential anti caster unit, as i see the least amount of discussions/ unique custom spells in that reguard

Level 15
Often times when I see an anti-caster unit in a game, I see a unit which uses magic to counter magic. While this is all good and fun, I think certain games could benefit from a more rooted approach.

In the case of a minimal magic 'anti-magic' unit, I think having a Silence Aura would be really neat. Imagine the dynamic of it, your casting a spell and then some knight or crazy dude in a bird mask runs up and then you suddenly aren't able to cast your spells anymore. If this seems to overpowered, you can balance it by making it a melee range aura that can also affect your units.

In the case of a magical based 'anti-magic' unit, I think something that can help it out compete another mage in resource generation would be awesome. Perhaps when it takes spell damage it generates mana based on the damage absorbed, and even reduces the rest. If you wanted this unit to be also effective against non-magical units as well, you could base this ability off of mana shield and give it a negative mana cost per damage taken.

In any case flashy abilities are really neat, but I feel like they really fall short of the trope of an 'anti-magic' unit. Despite this your prompt suggests that this is for the generation of custom spells. In light of this I would say a fun flashy spell would be an area of effect mana burn, which grants the caster of the ability a shield equal to a portion of the mana burned. This ability could make a very nice ultimate for a Hero in my opinion, but may not be particularly suited for a base unit that can be massed in large quantities.

Hopefully something in my little musings here can help. I look forward to seeing other Hivers thoughts on such spells and their suggestions!

Level 21
  • ward that temporarily gives nearby friendly units magic immunity.
  • passive ability that steals mana on each attack.
  • debuff that causes a unit to lose mana (and/or take damage) when it casts a spell.
  • ability that prevents the next negative spell from being cast upon friendly units (i.e. item spell shield).
  • passive ability that has a chance to block or reflect enemy spells.
  • channeled AoE ability (i.e. Cloud) that prevents the casting of spells.
  • shockwave that drains mana of enemy units it hits.
  • aura that reduces the damage friendly units take from spells and Magic attacks.
  • forked or chain manaburn that can hit multiple targets.

Level 4
Often times when I see an anti-caster unit in a game, I see a unit which uses magic to counter magic. While this is all good and fun, I think certain games could benefit from a more rooted approach.

In the case of a minimal magic 'anti-magic' unit, I think having a Silence Aura would be really neat. Imagine the dynamic of it, your casting a spell and then some knight or crazy dude in a bird mask runs up and then you suddenly aren't able to cast your spells anymore. If this seems to overpowered, you can balance it by making it a melee range aura that can also affect your units.

In the case of a magical based 'anti-magic' unit, I think something that can help it out compete another mage in resource generation would be awesome. Perhaps when it takes spell damage it generates mana based on the damage absorbed, and even reduces the rest. If you wanted this unit to be also effective against non-magical units as well, you could base this ability off of mana shield and give it a negative mana cost per damage taken.

In any case flashy abilities are really neat, but I feel like they really fall short of the trope of an 'anti-magic' unit. Despite this your prompt suggests that this is for the generation of custom spells. In light of this I would say a fun flashy spell would be an area of effect mana burn, which grants the caster of the ability a shield equal to a portion of the mana burned. This ability could make a very nice ultimate for a Hero in my opinion, but may not be particularly suited for a base unit that can be massed in large quantities.

Hopefully something in my little musings here can help. I look forward to seeing other Hivers thoughts on such spells and their suggestions!
Actually the spell I have on my unit right now is a melee anti caster that does use a reverse mama shield lol,

• ward that temporarily gives nearby friendly units magic immunity.
  • passive ability that steals mana on each attack.
  • debuff that causes a unit to lose mana (and/or take damage) when it casts a spell.
  • ability that prevents the next negative spell from being cast upon friendly units (i.e. item spell shield).
  • passive ability that has a chance to block or reflect enemy spells.
  • channeled AoE ability (i.e. Cloud) that prevents the casting of spells.
  • shockwave that drains mana of enemy units it hits.
  • aura that reduces the damage friendly units take from spells and Magic attacks.
  • forked or chain manaburn that can hit multiple targets.
I’m currently using a spell placed a rebuff that damaged enemy casters based on mama cost of spell they use

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 28
Pressure: Every time an enemy in the aura casts a spell, they lose mana proportional to the amount required by the spell.
* Alternately, spell cooldowns are increased proportionally (bad for ultimates) or by a fixed amount (bad for autocasts).

Disable: Prevents a single ability from being cast while the effect is active.

Enfeeble: Temporarily replaces one of the target's spell with a weaker/costlier version.

Limiter: Sets target's mana regeneration to 0.

Mana Static: While the effect is active, the target accumulates a charge every time they cast a spell. The charges explode after X spells cast, dealing damage proportional to the mana spent for those spells.

Mana Vampire: While the effect is active, every time the target casts a spell, the caster gains X attack damage.

Ignite Mana: Reduces target's mana by X and deals X damage to target and units around the target.

Level 27
Some ideas I have used before:

-Passive that adds additional damage on attacks based on missing mana and number of buffs that the target has.
-Debuff that causes target to lose hit points or mana when casting a spell.
-Dispel that also silences enemies.
-Mana-steal attacks.
-Ward that dispels buffs.
-Attacks that silence and deal additional damage.
-Ward that burns mana.
-Debuff that reduces mana and hit points every second.
-Passive that deals damage to enemies with low mana every few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.