• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Anime English Dubs / Japanese Subs

Would you prefer English Dubs or Japanese Subs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Just a thread that im curious about...

Intended for the following (but it could honestly be any anime)

1. Dragon Ball Z (The only anime i actually like/love)
2. One Piece
3. Bleach
4. Naruto
5. Pokemon
6. The Boondocks (isn't this an anime? lol)

Please no trolling (i honestly prefer english dubs but thats just me)

You decide!

Level 26
I choose subs, for a variety of reasons:

A) If they're going to don ridiculous voices and make themselves sound stupid, I'd rather they do it in another language, so I can at least imagine they aren't making fools of themselves.

B) English voice acting tends to cater towards a younger audience, and therefore stuffs itself with so much corn you'd think it was Thanksgiving dinner.

C) I doubt the producers were as selective in selecting a dub voice actor as the original development team was in choosing their own. I generally want to keep as close to the author's original vision as possible, as more often than not, attempting to "adapt" it will only result in making it worse. The original character's diction or inflection would be lost or at least not as accurately presented.

So yeah, subs.

Level 34
Entirely depends on the quality of the dub. For example, anything made by Studio Ghibli will have a big name cast for voices in English. Matt Damon, Patrick Stewert, Minni Driver, Christian Bale, ect.

Fullmetal Alchemist had better English voice actors for Ed and Al, but pretty poor for minor characters.

Level 15
One of the main "schticks" you see with animation is that the music caters towards whatever the original version is from.

The idea is that in the Japanese versions of anime, they focus mostly on plot and less on action. Therefor the music is generally more plot focused to help move along the Japanese dialog.

When most dubbing companies make dubs, they keep the original Japanese music but change the voices. Not only does the inflextion of the voices themselves ruin it, but the American-ized accents and slang also ruin it.

basically what I'm saying is that there's a clash in music and voices when they do dubs. That's why Dragonball Z was so successful. The Japanese version used music that catered more towards the plot and details while the English dub used more action-oriented music that suited the masculinity of the actors (in the Japanese version most characters are depicted as innocent and as a result, very childishly voiced)

tl;dr: the voice acting is completely different between categories, but the actual music caters towards the Japanese, because it was made for the Japanese version specifically. The voice acting also changes the story quite a bit. For example, in DBZ, Goku's use of the Japanese language indicates that he's very childish and uncomfortable when it comes to speaking in front of people he isn't familiar with. Conversely, in the English dub he's very comfortable speaking with anyone and friendly and outgoing towards people he's recently met.

Also, I prefer the Japanese. I don't have to read the subs though =P

Level 11
Lol well all i can say is the only anime i watched was Dragon Ball Z, and i love its dubbed version.. their voices just made it sound hardcore... but thats just DBZ, donno what the others are like :p hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.