• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Animation when casting spell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusanagi Kuro

Hosted Project: SC
Level 10
Hello everyone. I have a question about the animation and the spell:
I have 2 spells. Both have the casting time are 2s. However, they are different:
The 1st spell will go on cooldown if the casting animation failed (meaning if the caster being stunned, hexed or silenced, the spell will go on cooldown without any effect).
The 2nd spell wont go on cooldown if the casting animation failed.
I wonder how to make those things because when I add casting time to the spell, it only plays the animation after the casting time has been finished. If I use channelling spell, the animation is played but I cant use trigger to detect if it has been fully channeled (I have tried Finish casting an ability and Stop casting an ability event).:ogre_icwydt:
Thks very much. :ogre_haosis:

Kusanagi Kuro

Level 10
Guys, 50 views and no comment or response? Do I describe my question too hard to understand or what? Tell me so I can make it more clear.

Kusanagi Kuro

Level 10
Well, I dont think that u have read all of the things I wrote.
Casting Animation when using spell with Casting time will only be played at the end of the casting time. However, I want it to be played while the spell is being casted.
But if I use the channeling spell, that part will work. However, if the caster is being stunned, hexed or silenced, the spell will go on cooldown without any effect (which I really want to avoid in the 2nd spell).
If anyone has played DotA, u will all know Shadow Fiend (Nevermore)'s Ultimate (Requiem of Souls). When he plays this skill, he will stand there and playing his casting animation. At the end of the cast, the spell will take effect. However, if he is stopped during the casting time, the spell wont go on cooldown. That what I want to achieve in the 2nd spell.
The example for the 1st spell is Sand King's Ultimate. He needs 2s casting time for his ultimate to take the effect. However, if he is stunned, hexed or silenced, the ability will go on cooldown without any effect.
I hope the above examples will make what I want more clear.

Kusanagi Kuro

Level 10
What link? My spell link or the example's link? If u are asking about my spell links, well, I ahvent create them yet, I just test them on the test map.

Level 7
Well you could trigger the spell.

Make a dummy ability (Like Roar) and when cast, create a dummy after 2 seconds to cast an actual spell.

What spell is it? Damage? Heal? Self-Buff?

I don't know how to change the cooldowns though... Maybe Reset Ability Cooldowns action...

Level 7
Well an alternate version is to make it 2 second channel and create a trigger that activates a 2 second timer and another one that creates a dummy to cast your spell when the trigger goes off (or deal the damage if the spell is triggered)

The tricky part will be making it so that the caster can't cancel the channeling animation early. I guess you could make another dummy with a firebolt ability that stuns the caster for 2 seconds and trigger the target of the ability to play the spell/channel animation every second (or how long the unit's animation is)

Kusanagi Kuro

Level 10
Thks for giving ur idea, Faetus. But that wont work for me. If the caster want to cancel the channeling animation, he can do that. However, the spell wont take any effect and will go on cooldown (in the case of the 1st spell).

Level 7
afaik it depends on the ability if it goes on cooldown when the casting time begins
if you want to use channel you can just use the event "unit finishes channeling" to detect when channeling is finished successfully (wont fire when stopped/stunned etc)

Level 7
use "unit finishes casting an ability". "unit stops casting an ability" and "unit starts the effect of an ability" in combination with "unit starts channeling"

Level 6
I remember making a hero play her attack animation while casting a non-channel spell with a cast time a while ago! I made a trigger, but Instead of starts effect of ability I used Begins casting an ability since that activates at the very start even with casting time. Then I just made caster play attack animation (in ur case spell animation?)
It something like this, assuming Animate Dead is a non channel with some casting time:
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Animate Dead
    • Actions
      • Animation - Play (Casting unit)'s spell animation
Im not clear on what ur asking for but this spell won't be on cooldown if interrupted and also plays animation at very start.

Kusanagi Kuro

Level 10
Well, I know about that. I have tried it out. However, it seems like only Instant spell will play the animation in the spell, not point targeted spell.

Level 6
I have my map here with a hero casting her ultimate magic spell.
It is a carrion swarm with 3 second casting time.
She plays attack animation about 2 seconds into the spell perfectly fine???
Oh, and I used "begins channeling an ability" as event for this spell for some reason. I guess try that? Perhaps see if the unit plays animation with a wait timer like 2 seconds into the casting time just to make sure.
Oh and animation names of my Carrion Swarm ability at the very top in object editor has 2 strings : spell, channel.

Level 8
I remember making a hero play her attack animation while casting a non-channel spell with a cast time a while ago! I made a trigger, but Instead of starts effect of ability I used Begins casting an ability since that activates at the very start even with casting time. Then I just made caster play attack animation (in ur case spell animation?)
It something like this, assuming Animate Dead is a non channel with some casting time:
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Animate Dead
    • Actions
      • Animation - Play (Casting unit)'s spell animation
Im not clear on what ur asking for but this spell won't be on cooldown if interrupted and also plays animation at very start.
He want interrupted skill will be on cooldown

Kusanagi Kuro

Level 10
^ not really. Only for the 1st spell, the spell will go on cooldown if the casting animation failed. I can do that part so the only thing i need is the animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.