• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Animating; How many frames do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
So I started to animate one character. And now, i really lazy to check.
But anyway, my unit will use 3 attacks. Does every attack needs to have same frame for attack impact ? (By impact I mean when my unit will actually strike enemy unit)
What I mean is:

Attack 1: 0-100 - impact in 50 Frame
Attack 2: 110-210 - impact in 160 Frame
Attack 3: 220-320 - impact in 270 Frame

Here you can see that in each animations impact is after same number of frames, after 49 frames. Is that important or I can make different timing ? Wont that affect on attack cast time ? Anomaly ?

And how long basic animations last ? How many frames ? Not really into that. So a little push would be great.

Level 26
They can differ without a problem. But beware that the more keys you use the slower the animation will be^^

Oh and would also be a good idea to look at some models made by blizzard and their numbers of keys used for a similar animation you want to create.

Here are some suggestions

FPS: NTSC(30) or PAL(24), whichever you like.

Animation related:

s = seconds

Stand - 1 -> 1s to 2s (30 to 60 frames NTSC) (24 to 48 or 50 frames, PAL)
Stand (other) -> 2s to 7s (60 to 210 frames NTSC) (50 to 170, PAL)

Stand Ready -> 1s 30frames/24frames

Walks -> depends on activity, foot walking -> 24NTSC/20PAL may be more if you wish. try keeping it around 1s.

Attacks -> less than or exactly 1s unless they be combos.

Deaths -> around 2-4s.

Level 11
Ok so it doesnt really mater if one attack animation lasts 2 second and another 2 seconds ? I cant figure out how wc3 can figure out in what frame actual impact is. So I dont need to worry about that ?

If attack time is 3s and impact is at 1s. That would work fine ? :D I will check some wc3 models now...

Status
Not open for further replies.