• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ancient Warfield

Ancient Warfield
icons_844_btn.jpg
Map Description:
Fourth map in the Ancient Ruins Saga. Again a map for two players, however the map is quite large and there is many expansion gold mines and the lay out gives many strategies to face your opponent. Can be played fast or in long time period. Have fun.

202900-albums5270-picture105724.jpg

202900-albums5270-picture105725.jpg

202900-albums5270-picture105726.jpg

Bigger size images can be found in my album. Icons by Blizzard.
icons_650_btn.jpg
Change Log
• Uploaded
• Update I

- Changed gold amounts of gold mines
• Update II
- Added surrounding environment
- Decorated the sea
- Removed naga units
- Added some decoration to large archways
- Changed Mercenary Camp into Goblin Merchant
• Update III
- Minor fixes
• Update IV
- Updated to the lastest version
• Update V
- Made creep camps less rewarding

icons_602_btn.jpg
Information
• Creep Camps
- 6 Green Camps
- 8 Orange Camps
- 2 Red Camps
• Neutral Buildings
- 6 Gold Mines
- 2 Goblin Merchants
- 1 Fountain of Life
- 1 Fountain of Mana
- 1 Tavern

Keywords:
Remixer, 1v1, Ancient, Ruins, Saga, Ancient Saga, Sunken Ruins, Sunken, Naga, Sea, Square, Tavern
Contents

Ancient Warfield (Map)

Reviews
Orcnet00:46, 28th May 2013 Request for remoderation Ancient Warfield (No Version/s Stated) RateScorePercentLetter 5/591-100A RateScorePercentLetter 4/581-90%B RateScorePercentLetter 3/575-80%C RateScorePercentLetter 2/570-74%D...

M

1b5e5a7776e87f86f9c6951fa3dad711_64508.gif
Orcnet00:46, 28th May 2013

Comment

Review

Request for remoderation
Ancient Warfield (No Version/s Stated)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif

"Ancient Warfield" is a melee map only suitable for a 1 one 1 match and in the atmosphere of the sunken ruins theme.

"changes done no more 'stand forever' nagas blocking some part of the map which is good, also the facing value of each creep camp is fixed."

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif

"Terrain fixed as well, giving more atmosphere to the whole map with fogs and excellent work of environment decors."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif

"To my conclusion, this map is useful for a quick 1v1 match with a beautiful view of the map."

Total Score:

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
15/15100A

Level 30
I have played the map and I must say this is what Melee should be, one with a great and attractive terrain and also has the needed resources! Let me give my review on this:

Ancient Warfield Review
[+] Good Points:
-Great and attractive terrain. Has proper doodads and destructible in it!
-Has the needs in a melee map such as enough resources: gold mines and fountain.
-An open and wide area perfect for huge battles like this.

[-] Bad Points:
-None

[]Suggestions:
-Maybe add some neutral shops.
Overall, a great melee map and the first map that I review without a single bad points! Automatically this gets a 5/5 (with a chance of DC 6/5). Have a +3 REP for the effort and voting for Approval!

Level 28
Nice you used your review template again.

This just need a more sexier review, that's why.

Well since you bugged me to check this, i'ma write down my own thoughts about the map.

First of all, the terrain is just sex, you heard me? Sex. At last, someone took the time too make marvelous terrain using the default doodads on its max potential, sadly though that your technique here became repetitive but still the terrain is just gorgeous. Symmetrically, as you expect from 'Ruined Wall' cliff of sunken ruins, is balance. I also loved the fact that you located two expansion mine per player making the gameplay more competitive(speaking of competitive, hell yeah for early tavern!).

Overall the map have a well detailed terrain, a good number of creep camps with fine drops my only suggestion is for you to change the mercenary camp to goblin shop or the goblin shop to mercenary camp.

Oh, since you took the time to make a well detailed terrain, you might want to design the ocean too since it really kills the heavily detailed island.

I'm biased so 5/5.

Level 30
This just need a more sexier review, that's why.

Well since you bugged me to check this, i'ma write down my own thoughts about the map.

First of all, the terrain is just sex, you heard me? Sex. At last, someone took the time too make marvelous terrain using the default doodads on its max potential, sadly though that your technique here became repetitive but still the terrain is just gorgeous. Symmetrically, as you expect from 'Ruined Wall' cliff of sunken ruins, is balance. I also loved the fact that you located two expansion mine per player making the gameplay more competitive(speaking of competitive, hell yeah for early tavern!).

Overall the map have a well detailed terrain, a good number of creep camps with fine drops my only suggestion is for you to change the mercenary camp to goblin shop or the goblin shop to mercenary camp.

Oh, since you took the time to make a well detailed terrain, you might want to design the ocean too since it really kills the heavily detailed island.

I'm biased so 5/5.

Here is another review, Remixer that you should listen here and nice job, thanks for reviewng it. +3 REP! Looking forward on reviewing more melee maps with ya!

Level 30
Map has been updated!

- Decorated the sea, large archways and the surroundings.
- Removed naga units
- Changed the Mercenary camp into Goblin Merchant

Thats really good, keep up the updates. Maybe some suggestions, if you have the space (what I meant filesize space), maybe you can create some custom doodads and destructibles and put it in the map. Terrain will surely be better!

+3 REP again for the new updates!

Last edited:
Level 10
Oh but I think it will make your terrain greater and also more realistic. But I do respect your opinion but how about make this simple melee to Alter, add some maybe custom items and maybe item recipes?

You don't need custom models to create great terrain, it already is realistic and very beautiful, so I don't think he needs to use custom models

Anyway great map, the terrain really stands out compared to most melees

5/5

Level 4
I've found one thing with this map that you may want to change though: Humans can tower rush extremely easily on this map, you can spam militia and they will arrive at the other base with about 25% left, which is quite a lot early game. Maybe add gates to the middle temple or at least make it harder to rush. Just a suggestion. Still 5/5, stunning map.

Level 21
Btw. Forgot to write what happened when I played this.

I kept playing this against normal human AI.
I lost for the first few times, although I rarely lose to AI in bigger maps.
Anyways, at some point I was like meh, I'll just stay in base after killing some creeps and fuck them up when they come.
So I did. Suddenly it became super easy to beat the other, I just constantly kept harassing the other player until I just decided to give the last blow.

Basically the very short range between bases makes it impractical to get the expansion goldmines, as the opponent can simply kill your main base while your army is away.
Having 2 separate armies also wouldn't work, as the creeps are tougher than in most 1v1 maps and also because the opponent can still just take an army twice the size of yours and kill your base.

Also as noted, it's possible to use militia for attacking the enemy base in early game(although I used to it to kill creeps).

Later I just put on some cheats and all hell broke lose, so not much about that part :D

Anyways, this map is excellent for some intensive fights, but terrible for any long-term strategy.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
-neutral hostile units don't have full mana from the start (this may be present in some other of your maps)
-although the fountains are equally near to the main bases, they are not so in relation to expansion bases
-there's a Naga Sea Witch unit doodad near the northeastern margin of the Tavern
-the Stormreaver Necrolyte (level 6) near the Goblin Merchant drops an Ice Shard (the Revenant is pretty powerful; I guess the item could be dropped by a stronger mob)

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
-neutral hostile units don't have full mana from the start (this may be present in some other of your maps)
-although the fountains are equally near to the main bases, they are not so in relation to expansion bases
-there's a Naga Sea Witch unit doodad near the northeastern margin of the Tavern
-the Stormreaver Necrolyte (level 6) near the Goblin Merchant drops an Ice Shard (the Revenant is pretty powerful; I guess the item could be dropped by a stronger mob)

Indeed, never noticed the mana problem - gonna take a look at it.

What do you mean by not so in expansion bases? The map should be pretty much mirrored diagonally.

What's bad with the sea witch?

Fixed a lot of item drops (e.g. for some reason one 4 lvl unit could have dropped any level charged item). Thanks again for the feedback.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
What do you mean by not so in expansion bases? The map should be pretty much mirrored diagonally.
I mean the fact that the expansion bases won't be equally near to the fountains. If the south player has an expansion near the main base (center south), only the fountain of health would be closer to that expansion base.
It's not such a big deal anyways.
What's bad with the sea witch?
May look confusing. Strange way of using/creating doodads. Never seen it before like that especially in melee maps.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
I mean the fact that the expansion bases won't be equally near to the fountains. If the south player has an expansion near the main base (center south), only the fountain of health would be closer to that expansion base.
It's not such a big deal anyways.

May look confusing. Strange way of using/creating doodads. Never seen it before like that especially in melee maps.

The map is mirrored / diagonally so each player have the same chances: the south player can also go > expansion, same happens if north player goes < expansion, only fountain of life is near.

Yes, it might be strange but you'll face it eventually, also, why not, prefer that over unit that'll cause even more confusion.