• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ancient Battlefield

Reactions: deepstrasz
Map Description:

This ancient battlefield has been the location of many dreadful slaughters. Old tales claim that the casualties' blood dyed the nearby rivers crimson. Survivors reported to have witnessed a blood-red haze haunt them with the lost souls of the fallen.

General Information:

Ancient Battlefield is a standard melee map for 2 players.

This melee map mainly uses tiles from the Lordaeron Summer tileset, but actually runs on the Dungeon tileset for some extra spices. I also added the red dungeon mist as a weather effect for additional support to the theme.

This map is actually quite small and should provide some fast-paced and action-packed games.

This map has a total amount of:
4 green camps
10 yellow camps
2 red camps

This map also features:

1 Tavern
2 Goblin Shops
2 Mercenary Camps
2 Goblin Laboratories
4 Gold Mines

Update:

1.1:

- opened up a path around the green camp making two entrances to the starting positions
- changed the creepset at the corner positions
- changed tree positioning (there shouldn’t be any hiding spots for wisps in main bases and expansions)
- changed some tiles at the creep camp with the 4-2-2 wolves
- added a powerup for the creep camp at the mercenary camps
- some minor visual changes
Contents

Ancient Battlefield (Map)

Reviews
mafe
Overall a good map. Visually it is really unique and has a lot of attention to detail. I like most parts, but some (the world trees in the top right/bottom left, the fountains surrounded by blood-like water) look a little over the top for me. But...

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Overall a good map. Visually it is really unique and has a lot of attention to detail. I like most parts, but some (the world trees in the top right/bottom left, the fountains surrounded by blood-like water) look a little over the top for me. But that's a matter of personal taste.

From gameplay perspective the, map seems solid. Some aspect that I believe would work against the map at higher levels of play are:
-Basically only one direction from which main bases can attacked, and also the only one way to leave the base, so losing map control could really hurt.
-Lack of antiair in the top right/bottom left creepcamps.
-Countless of trees where wisps cannot be attacked by melee units.
-Minor asymmetries regarding AoW-creeping at the 4-2-2 wolves, with trees/doodad placement. The southern position seems to be slightly more favorable.
-I would have expected an additional powerup at the merc camps.

But these are mostly minor issues/subjective stuff/only highlevel complaints. The basic aspects for 1v1 maps (expansions, pathing, creep/item composition) are all solid. Therefore map approved, though I would still like to see some updates ;)

Level 7
Hey mafe,

Thanks for your review and your kind words. I am especially glad about the approval you gave in advance. I will work on the gameplay-oriented aspects you criticised. Regarding the ones concerning your personal taste, I would rather keep them because I actually like them and they contribute to the theme (fountains displaying that there is no actual water on the map anymore and the corner units show members of old races in the Warcraft lore that have a long history of battles). But as you said it’s probably just personal preference as long as there is no negative impact on the gameplay.

Any other kind of feedback is welcome and a big shoutout to mafe for his dedication to Hiveworkshop.