• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

An odd spellbook problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Well, I'm making a farming map with a friend, in it, there is a town where evryone starts at, but the map is moderately large and items can only be bought in the town.

We wanted to fix the problem of having to walk long distances, while still making the map feel "farmish". So we created an ordering system using spells on a special building. Since we only had one store and one item for a while, there were no problems as there was only one spellbook - we're having a spellbook per store - with one spell in it. However, the moment I added the 2nd spellbook and it's spells, some problems began.

First of all, no matter which spellbook you choose to open (animals of Lumber) all the spells appear. So you can order a cow from the Lumber menu, and Wood/Gold Coins from the animal menu. But that isn't the worst part, when you try to use ONE spell, it activates them ALL, and what you get is apparently random, sometimes two or more items.

I'm fairly certain that these bugs are caused by some small out of the way checkmark type thing, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance, we really need this ordering
system to work.

EDIT-------------------------
Oh, and if it makes a difference, all the spells used are summoning spells that do nothing, as in I made most of the fields blank.

Level 2
That fixes the use everything at once bug, but not the merging of the spell books..... I don't know what to do....

Level 2
Well, even if I do change all of the buying spells to other bases, I still can't change the spell book spells from their bases, which I believe is the problem. For some reason, it wants to use all the spells stemming for a certain base spell at the same time, even putting a mana cost on the spells wont stop it.

Level 24
it wants to use the spells from same bases because of order strings or whatever it is. it's how you order units to cast spells with triggers. so either change the order strings or use different base spells.

Level 11
First of all, a single unit can't have more than one spell with the same BaseOrderID or OrderString, regardless of whether or not they are in Spellbooks. If the unit does, when you use one spell, the other spell will automatically cast because of the way the game is scripted. You can't get around it, no matter what you try, and in my opinion it is THE most annoying thing about world editor.

Second of all, to fix your Spellbook problem, change the data field BaseOrderID on your Spellbook spells so that no unit will have two spellbooks with the same BaseOrderIDs. Also, make sure no spellbook has the BaseOrderID "Spellbook" or "NONE". And finally, I'm not sure if this matters, but make sure that no spellbook has the same BaseOrderID as any other spell the unit with the spellbook ability has (this includes spells within the spellbook itself or within other spellbooks).

Level 2
Well, that explains it, a precaution I took earlier against bugs (setting all BaseorderIDs to "none")... well, you can imagine... It's kind of odd that world editor works that way, very annoying.

EDIT---
Hmm, I noticed a problem, only my sepll books have bas order ID fields, I have no doubt the other spells have BasorderIDs, but I can't find nor edit them...

Status
Not open for further replies.