• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

An issue with the way map downloads are handled?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
My map, DOTA3_7.w3m ( http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Maps&ID=2043&sid= ) has received over 8500 downloads and is probably the most played custom map on reign of chaos, however I noticed something weird...and was wondering if it was related to this site. If I log into reign of chaos on, for example the west gateway, and go to the custom game screen, I notice a lot of the dota games being hosted have the file name DOTA3_7~1.w3m or DOTA3_7~2.w3m, thus forcing people to download the map again even if they already have the normal one named DOTA3_7.w3m. I examined the two files carefully and they appear to be identical. I am trying to pinpoint what exactly is causing this outburst of improperly modified filename maps. The best theory I can come up with is that a certain unzipping program, maybe the one used by macs to handle zips, is tacking on the ~1 to the filename...because previously, when other versions were hosted on server space that did not put the map into a zip file, this problem did not occur, so I'm assuming it has something to do with the zip file. Does anyone have any insight on this problem?

I'm starting to see the same problem come up with the dota 3.8 beta map I recently posted on this site ( http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Maps&ID=2737&sid=cd9303a013431766dd6771b82c15e9df )

If this is indeed a result of certain unzipping programs messing up the file name, might I suggest giving the option to not zip map files upon uploading? I personally use strong deflate zlib data compression to compile my maps, so they are already as small as possible and in fact zipping them actually increases the file size slightly.

Level 22
Hmm, Yes, I have noticed that file names get messed up when they are auto-zipped, Especiually when people put in irregular marks such as ' or " and so on, causing it to put the map in several folders rather then just one and cutting off every part of the name that came before the '/". The zip program has been a little screwy before and appears to conflict with some other version of zip progreams ie.e some people get empty files when they unzip while other can open them fine.) Hopefully something can be done.
-VGsatomi

But I also think download abuse was part of the dota map's success, not just popularity.

Level 3
Well, is this going to be fixed in the near future? I have the next version ready to go and it will probably rake in another 9000+ downloads. I really like this website and I'm sure it could use the popularity but I may have to find a different host because I don't want this to happen again.

Level 3
Mecheon said:
The zipfile makes it smaller, which makes less strain on the server

Fluffy_Bunny said:
I personally use strong deflate zlib data compression to compile my maps, so they are already as small as possible and in fact zipping them actually increases the file size slightly.

Level 22
WinZip and Winzip compatable zip programs are much more widely used....in fact, probably used by everyone. WinRar would probably be second. I never heard of the stuff you just mentioned, so most people probably couldnt open anything if this site suddenly started using it.

But yes, zipping is neccesary when such large files are uploade dand downloaded. Imagine downloading RotD raw...
-VGsatomi

Level 3
Sorry, I didn't realize the process of strong deflate zlib data compression was not very well known.

Here's how it works: After I'm done editing the map, I compress the MPQ using strong deflate zlib data compression and re-save it to a new file. The new file is a completely playable warcraft map (.w3m). So I could just host it somewhere and people could download it and play. No one would need anything to unzip it or anything. It's simply compressed a lot more effectively than world editor can do.

Now, if I were to place that file into a zip file, the zip would be the EXACT same size as the map, because the map is already very effectively compressed. Therefore putting it in a zip file would be useless, and would only cause problems which I listed in the original post.

VGsatomi said:
WinZip and Winzip compatable zip programs are much more widely used....in fact, probably used by everyone. WinRar would probably be second. I never heard of the stuff you just mentioned, so most people probably couldnt open anything if this site suddenly started using it.

People would just be downloading a normal .w3m or .w3x map file, so they would not need to do anything special with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.